Video: Nintendo Shows Off Super Mario 3D World Stages and the Madness of Multiplayer

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

To troll or not to troll

Just recently we published our preview of Super Mario 3D World, and rather liked what we played. Our experiences so far give us optimism that it'll stack up in single and multiplayer; naturally the latter will be suitably chaotic but, potentially, a huge amount of fun.

Nintendo of America's latest Nintendo Minute video tries to show just that, with four staff members taking on levels 1-1 and 3-1, and in the process gives a good indication of the dynamics of multiplayer in the title. What may start as earnest co-op can quickly become competitive, which is a hoot assuming it's with family and very good friends.

Early next week our very own Martin Watts will share some personal reminiscences of playing multiplayer with the humble writer of this very article. Character assassination is, apparently, very much on the agenda.

Check it out below and let us know what you think.

JtotheY

JtotheY said:

In the beginning I thought this game was way too simple, in difficulty as well as stage design. But after all the trailers, I'm getting more and more excited for this! I just hope the trailers don't spoil too much.

Goginho

Goginho said:

Very fun looking game. I'm a little worried it might end up being too similar to NSMB though (which is not a bad series at all, don't get me wrong), and that the levels seem too short for the most part (two levels in less than six minutes, plus time limit). Maybe it's just their hectic style of playing, which made it hard to follow, not to mention the poor quality of both video and audio, but seeing this game in action, after some amazing trailers lately, my hype has gone done a tiiiny lil' bit. The last trailer made the game seem so majestic and untouchable lol :P ..here, however, I can't help but see it as an obvious extension to 3D Land, which is an amazing title in itself.
Perhaps four players sharing one screen is too much for my liking, as it seems claustrophobic at times, with too many enemies and everybody doing their own thing at tight sections.

Goginho

Goginho said:

8-bit Luigi at 3:43 coming out of the third block in the row of blocks :) just to let you guys know.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I can't wait for this but now I am beginning to wish they'd stop showing us so much gameplay. I already knew it was my cup of tea so I would rather avoid spoilers so I can enjoy this with the family at xmas. I still can't believe there were so many people judging this game so early.

Mainer82

Mainer82 said:

This looks great. I'm wondering if they will have the type of levels that Mario 64 had (and Super Mario World) where you could unlock abilities or colored squares to get to different parts of the level?

rjejr

rjejr said:

This game makes me glad I bought myself a Wii U for my birthday rather than waiting for Christmas. I'ld hate to wake up Christmas morning and have to set the Wii U up before we could play this. I just hope we don't finish the whole game Christmas day :-)

Just watched the first 2 minutes and I'm declaring a moratorium on SM3DW videos. Wall climbing catsuit and a giant easter bunny shooting out gi-normous giant mushrooms. All in the first minute of the game. Man.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

From seeing and being in multiplayer like this at the Best Buy summer event, this game will be riotous fun, especially the Plessie the orange dino stages.

It looks like Nintendo is starting to show more new stuff in these trailers, so cue the spoiler alerts I guess. I don't mind it too much personally. I know Bowser is going to be the final boss and that Rosalina will appear later in the game because of the Comet Observatory being in concept art. The question is what role will she play?

Krystofa2013

Krystofa2013 said:

Something that i noticed! When they are selecting a level in world 3. The ammount of stages went up to 7!!!. When usually they have 6 in a world. Im just hoping its not a short game but the quality does look good so far :)

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

@Goginho there's a reason Nintendo is only letting the press show certain levels. The smaller, hectic ones that are more multiplayer oriented are probably the only ones they'll allow to be shown. Keep in mind that the multiplayer here is the selling point.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

I hope they have a DLC pack of games to accompany this in the future after we all blast through this game.

Goginho

Goginho said:

@CrabGats Oh I'm completely aware of that, no worries. I praise Nintendo's strategy of going about with things, and I do think this is the perfect game to open up a perfect comeback and get uncertain customer's buying the Wii U. I just got so much hype built from the last couple of trailers and screenshots, with all the different camera angles and what not, that I don't think this demonstration of the game lives up to all that hype.
I do, however, believe the players didn't show that, and also couldn't show all of what the game really has to offer, and so I think they could have done something better there, but then again, better it is we see less before the release :P

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I wish I had three other people to play this with...I always end up playing these Mario games by myself. :(

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

I'm still not getting this game...Nintendo really killed the excitement for old school Mario elements, and it all started with the NSMB series. This looks too easy and plain. I regret getting 3D Land, and I will certainly regret getting 3D World.

Why can't Nintendo experiment with a NEW open world game? I loved Sunshine. Away from the Mushroom Kingdom, with new enemies, FLUDD...what happened.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

Okay I've seen enough trailers and video gameplay of this game and I'm super duper convinced it would be such an awesome and memorable 3D Mario action game. I think starting from today I would avoid all kinds of trailers and video gameplay till november 22 or maybe when the reviews of the game appear because I don't want to have everything spoiled by the time I get the game, the same will apply to A Link Between Worlds though, Hope I can resist, haha.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

This game looks more and more fun, each new video I've watched. I played through levels 1-1 and 1-3 at the Best Buy E3 event, and since then, I can tell there has been a ton of changes added to the game. I do love how that snow world looked more SM64 style with multiplayer, instead of a 3D NewSMB-style.

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

@Uberchu Well, to start off, you can't compare a platformer to a kart racer -__- they are very different genres of games. You are comparing an orange on an apple. Secondly, if we do compare both titles, 3D Land could be beat in a day, whereas Mario Kart 7 has so more more replayability, not to mention online.

BillyCupid

BillyCupid said:

@Funny_Moblin unfortunately Sunshine didn't sell so they went back to basics (I think there was a feature about it on these pages recently, but I could be wrong...) but I agree, they need to take Mario away from the Mushroom Kingdom again.

Still can't wait for 3D World, I just don't think it's going to be a very original experience. Incredibly fun, but not original.