Video: Check Out WaterMelon's New SNES Title ProjectN

Posted by Damien McFerran

Going underground with the developers in Germany

Indie developer WaterMelon is perhaps most famous for its Mega Drive title Pier Solar, which is coming to the Wii U eShop next year. However, the small studio is also working on a brand-new SNES title, currently referred to as ProjectN.

WaterMelon has been uploading some rather amusing — not to mention bizarre — videos detailing the development of the game, the latest of which shows off some screenshots. The game will use special hardware to improve loading times and features a unique levelling system which is based on your score in each level.

Let us know what your feelings are about this unique title by posting a comment below.

[via magicalgamefactory.com]

Squashy

Squashy said:

Wow a brand new SNES game!! This is really exciting!

Will it come out on a proper cartridge @Damo, like Pier Solar did?

Squashy

Squashy said:

I like Rutubo! "Hope you like the art as much as I like fish"

I wonder why it needs a chip to speed up loading times when it's a cartridge?

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

@Squashy
There are cartridge games with loading games. Wario Land 2 for example had them. Not many of them, and they weren't long, but they were there.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

That was pretty random. Guess I'll look forward to it but not until after Pier Solar HD gets released on Wii U. Heck, hopefully ProjectN comes to Wii U too eventually in HD form.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

I'm already expecting an insane price tag once this releases, but I'll see if I can afford it! Keep going, guys!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Surprised they are not putting it on the Neo Geo

(That community quite happily pays 300€ a game). This will sell out but I don't think for that sort of money. (I have Gunlord Dreamcast because I cannot justify that sort of money seems to be a good version though).

Interested in what the chip does as well. (Suppose they cannot just get the one used in stuff like Super Mario RPG / Star Ocean.)

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Interesting that they are bringing this to SNES. Hopefully after that they had plans to bring this to other platforms too for example GBA (since it's similar to SNES), Virtual Console, Dreamcast, and the 3DS or Wii U eShop.

sdelfin

sdelfin said:

I heard that later in the life of SNES there was special hardware to assist in compression to fit more into the limited ROM sizes and probably to speed up access as well. SNES did have some issues with missing content in games compared to Genesis/Mega Drive. Perhaps the special hardware is to help with that as they'll be shooting for a large ROM.

@unrandomsam, that's a good point. It's not quite a Neo Geo-style game though, so maybe it's the wrong audience. The prices for those MVS carts are way too much for me. Last time I checked, the DC version of Gunlord has not been available for the DC. I would like to get it. I'm sure it's a fine version of the game.