Two Tribes Teases New Title While Describing Toki Tori 2+ Level Editor as "In The Fridge"

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Announcements made on Miiverse

One feature that never made it to Toki Tori 2 on the Wii U eShop, even in its + update, is the level editor. Although shown in a crude form at press events as far back as August 2012, it's never made it into the final cut on Nintendo's platform.

Unfortunately it looks like the feature isn't coming anytime soon, as the studio's Martijn Reuvers has posted the following message when answering gamer questions on Miiverse.

At the moment we're working on a new game concept, so the Wii U level editor is unfortunately in the fridge.

Further on Reuvers expressed hope that the level editor would eventually come, so it's not entirely lost yet. The new concept, meanwhile, was shown off with a teaser image, below, also on Miiverse.

Posting the image on the Nintendo social network hopefully suggests that the Wii U will be a candidate for release. Time will tell.

Thanks to WiiLovePeace for the tip.

[via miiverse.nintendo.net, miiverse.nintendo.net]

ACK

ACK said:

Wow. Am I pissed. Many of us bought this at release with the stated promise of a level editor. Then they update and discount... Now no level editor, period?

The game isn't good enough to stand on it's own, so they promise a feature to make it more appealing, yet never deliver. At least that's how I see it.

My wife enjoyed the first one. I admit, I thought it was pretty boring and forgettable. However, this one does little for her so I've been hoping to save face by tickling my design itch to create some puzzles she will actually enjoy...

What a massive disappointment. They want me to think about buying yet another game that may or may not deliver without fulfilling the promised content of an over-priced mess. I've bought every Two Tribes release on Nintendo platforms, but I'm pretty sure I'm done now. What happened?

ejamer

ejamer said:

Probably only a small percentage of people cared about the level editor. I'd be willing to bet that those people care A LOT, though. I wouldn't have used the feature so have no personal investment... but it's a real shame that people who wanted to get creative won't be able to.

DF2506

DF2506 said:

I wish I hadn't bought Toki Tori 2. I bought it when it came out, at full price, because it looked good & there was a promise of a level editor update. Now I'm stuck on the game AND there will be no level editor. What a waste of money. Two Tribes are not getting anymore of my money.

rjejr

rjejr said:

This was the reason I bought the game. Still glad I got it on sale, but I'll be putting my next Two Tribes purchase on hold until they deliver what they say is coming.

totally bummed

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

Life goes on. The game is a lot of fun without it. I don't feel anywhere near as cheated about buying this than I do about buying Chasing Aurora.

When Broken Rules refund me the £5.49 I wasted on that mess, I'll complain about this.

ScorpionMG

ScorpionMG said:

meh, when it comes, it comes, now we just need more games :D
i'm enjoying my toki tori 2+ altho i havent finished it yet

Neko_Rukiafan

Neko_Rukiafan said:

Everyone please calm down I talked to a representative of Two Tribes the other day and found out that Two Tribes actually tried their hardest to bring the level editor to the game, but unfortunately the infrastructure of the game was causing game-breaking bugs when they tried to implement the feature so sadly they had to scrap it. :(

It's still an amazing game as is in my opinion so I'm happy. ;)

guttertalk

guttertalk said:

Promising a feature and then not designing the game to support it is bad product development.

And less than a month ago, van Ginkel said, "There are some editor-related things happening behind the scenes that we cannot talk about yet, which you will understand when we reveal it!"

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

I love Toki Tori 2. My personal Wii-U GOTY. The level editor was one of the major selling points for me in the beginning. I love the game, it is flawless imo ... but scrapping a feature that's been mentioned since day 1 and just saying "oh well" is not the way to handle this. I love 2Tribes, my current favorite indie developer, and there does need to be some kind of consolation towards a major percentage of TT2 owners that the level editor was one of the main reasons it swayed their purchase. I actually mentioned the level editor feature in my Club Nintendo registry of the game in "what was most influential in your decision to purchase this game ...".

I'm not gonna cry over the missing feature, but many will not let this go away silently. I mean, heck, even a free eShop DL of one of their $2 games coming soon would be a good consolation. Give us TT1 for free on eShop, when it arrives, and you're only out $2 per customer that would "actually" redeem the offer.

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

@rjejr same here. Really wanted the level editor. Was surprised when i purchased it that it wasnt included. Definately won't day one two tribes anymore unless what they promised and advertised makes it in.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

I'm a sucker for level editors, and the one in Toki Tori 2+ looked very promising. Sad to see it on ice. Wii U needs more apps for creative minds.
Anyways, even without level editor this is the best Wii U eShop game by far, so far. Rich of content, flawless in audiovisual presentation, clever with its puzzles, fresh in its gameplay. It received two big updates, a launch sale and an update sale, and now Two Tribes is going to sell us the best versions of Toki Tori 1, EDGE, and RUSH for Wii U soon for just 1.99 each. And they develop a new "way more hardcore" game for Wii U now. What's not to like about these guys?

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

They probably will have another sale whenever they decide to throw in the level editor. If they do.

I personally never cared for that sort of stuff, so this is no issue to me. The final game is good enough for me alone.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Wow. I understand how giving away free Steam codes (which include the level editor) won't be an ideal solution for everyone... but it seems like a nice gesture from the Two Tribes crew after coming to the conclusion that getting the editor to work on Wii U just wasn't going to be feasible.

Hmmm.. might have to change my tune from above and give this a shot. The last level editor I spent a lot of time with was BlastWorks on Wii. If this is half as engrossing then it'll eat away entire days worth of free time.