Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl Demo Arrives on 16th September

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

You can also meet Arthur, the adolescent Alchemist

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl is now getting rather close to its release date of 1st October in North America. With that in mind a demo is set to be released on 16th September, to get 3DS owners warmed up ahead of the full game.

Atlus has also begun the introduction of individual characters, as this entry will re-tell the story of the original Etrian Odyssey with an all-new Story Mode that'll be far more cinematic and driven than the standard approach of the franchise; traditionalists can still play Classic mode, however.

The video and text below introduce Arthur, the "adolescent Alchemist". Check those out and let us know how hyped you are for next week's demo; unfortunately there's no release of this title currently confirmed for PAL regions.

Though Arthur is a prodigy when it comes to alchemy, most of the rest of his past is a fog as the result of a traumatic incident that leveled his hometown. Arthur's never met a problem in the Labyrinth he didn't want to try to solve with fire, though the player also has the option to spec him out with ice or lightning formulas, if they must.

As the prime elemental damage dealer, Arthur is versatile enough to tackle all the enemies vulnerable to Fire, Ice and Volt magic but with the right Grimoire Stones, he has the utility to be more than a glass cannon if players choose.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Wonder how far off this would be from Europe considering we only just got Etrian Oddysey 4

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Played the original and beat it so I'm all about the story mode! Great just another game to add to my already many games I play on a daily basis!

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I'm a big JRPG fan, but the map-drawing in EO IV was just too much for me. So this is probably gonna be a pass.

Windy

Windy said:

@ricklongo I'm the same. I wish the game allowed for automapping. I'm still very tempted. would be nice to have on/off automap. I piled up a bunch of backlog games and still haven't taken the last Etrian Odyssey out of the shrinkwrap. I do plan to play it after I beat Shin Megami IV which I'm currently playing.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Excited for the demo! I'm hoping it works like Odyssey 4 and the demo save file rolls into the game (somewhat). As much as I would love to get this at launch — I simply can't. First, I want to get Odyssey 4 still but I just have too many "big" games to play. FFXIV, Shin Megami Tensei 4, Persona 4 are among the top three, along with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and several others. I may just say screw it and grab Odyssey, since I've been dying to play.

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

You don't have to map the game if you don't want to. You can try and remember where everything is.

Keep

Keep said:

thats why i hate nintendo... too many good games to play, budget always overextended XD i still need to get EOIV

Windy

Windy said:

I'm going to download the Demo and hopefully get to it soon. I will ask for the game for Christmas since it's coming up fast.

TwoSmoove

TwoSmoove said:

Definitely a day one for me. Tried the demo to 4 and got that asap. I didn't like the drawing the map for the first cave or so, but I learned to love it in later dungeons. I liked making up backgrounds for my characters, but am really looking forward to the story mode this time around.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

NOOOO! AUTOMAAAAP :(

Actually I suppose that's fine, as long as I have the option to make (and hopefully get some reward for making) my own maps. It's the most engaging feature in the world, and wholely responsible for why I will never go back and play Shining in the Darkness, Wizardry, or any of those other mapless dungeon wanderers.

Making maps is fun - but I don't wanna sit there with a piece of paper that I'll end up losing in 10 minutes. Map making fun + the ease of pre-made pics/tools + stored on device = dungeon crawl heaven.

Algus

Algus said:

I'm so excited for this game. Story mode + classic mode ought to deliver on all counts. It is really hard to go back to the original game after all the refinements they've made over the years too so it was in need of a revamp.

AyatollaofRock

AyatollaofRock said:

I love mapping the dungeons! Four has just come out in Australia, so I'm pretty tempted by that. A remake of the first is quite appealing though.