Super Mario Bros. 2 Available On The 3DS Virtual Console Right Now in Europe

Posted by Andy Green

The wait is over

Today's Nintendo Direct revealed some more information about a few upcoming releases but there was room for some older classic titles too.

For example, Super Mario Bros. 2 is available to download from the 3DS Virtual Console in Europe right now for £4.49/€4.99.

The game was released back in 1988 on the NES and is a little different to its predecessor. In fact it's largely seen as the black sheep of Mario games, but that's not to say it's not an enjoyable experience, quite the contrary. It's just, different.

It's been out in North America for a while now, so it's nice for Europe to have access to this right away. You can see what we think to it in our Super Mario Bros. 2 review.

Will you be downloading this one from the eShop? Let us know your thoughts on it in the comment section below.

antonvaltaz

antonvaltaz said:

Um... this has been on the Wii U VC now for a while...

EDIT: Since the 16th May in fact.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

In honor of the Year o' Luigi, I've been trying to play thru this game with just the man in green. Pretty tough to stick with just one person in it. Really fun title!

steveex

steveex said:

It would be nice if it was the same price as on Wii U rather than more expensive.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

Congratulations, PAL. I hope you all have fun from this title. I bought this game and downloaded it on my American 3DS just two days ago but haven't play it yet. I play my games slowly. I bought Super Mario Bros. in May, but I'm still on World 6. I plan on finishing the game this or next week.

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

Does anyone not have this yet? It's a great game but i already got it on NES, Wii VC and Wii U VC. And the All stars version on SNES and Wii.
Having said that I'll probably still get it on 3DS as i missed the GBA version and it will be great to have this on a hand-held.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Picked it up when it was on sale for $2.50 back when it was released on the Wii U. I miss those VC sales...

bouncer0304

bouncer0304 said:

What they need to do now is announce super mario bros 3 for Wii U and 3ds like USA. I'd buy it on the 3ds no questions asked!
EDIT: just had a thought- why not do a NES package for smb 1-3 on the Wii U and 3ds? I'd buy it tomorrow!

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

So now there's absolutely no hope for Super Mario Advance to make a comeback. We already lost Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, Nintendo! Why do you keep releasing premakes of my favourite games on VC?! :'(

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

I remember playing this when it was new, still a fun game! However, as I still have my GBA and Super Mario Advance, the VC version and the All Stars version, not buying it this time. I'm waiting for the Megadrive 3D classics for my next retro purchase on 3DS.

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

am i the only one who doesn't like to play these games on the 3DS because the screen is too small (launch 3DS owner here BTW) and the placement of the D-Pad makes it awkward to control

would rather they kept VC Console games on the WiiU and VC handheld games on the 3DS

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Hot dang, SMB2 has been available on my little vintage NES cart since 1988 boasting rich vibrant eye popping colors with zero input lag unlike these darker colorless 1 frame/lag riddled silly emulations. ;) Tripple dipping still gets people excited i suppose. These NES releases should of all been released in stereoscopic 3D, then I'd have something to get excited about! :P

defrb

defrb said:

meh i hoped we get a 3d classic version of this one, playing this on almost every system i own, no need to buy the same old version again and again ;)

Windy

Windy said:

No 3D classic! No buy from me also. Has anyone noticed Nintendo doesn't seem to be supporting the 3D Classics?