Video: Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games Slips Into View

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Sonic and Peach, Bowser and Doctor Eggman, cats and dogs

While the main event — that we know of — for Nintendo's three game SEGA partnership is undoubtedly Sonic Lost World on Wii U and 3DS, we also have the snappily-titled Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games to look forward to. We don't have a firm release date yet, but it will arrive before the real life event kicks off in Russia on 7th February 2014.

To date it's also only been confirmed for Wii U, as it was when revealed in a Nintendo Direct broadcast and as emphasized at the end of the latest trailer, below; it seems unlikely that the 3DS would be skipped, but so far that seems to be the case. As we'd expect from a new entry in the Mario & Sonic spin-off series, there'll be variations on real sports as well as slightly off-the-wall Dream Events. It also sees characters from both universes mingling freely once again, with this trailer showing Peach figure skating with Sonic and the two big villains sweeping vigorously in a round of Curling.

This one will arrive sometime over the Winter, so will you be hitting the slopes to go and pick it up?

miron_khuzd

miron_khuzd said:

I'll definitely pick this one up as a commemoration to the Olympics being held in my country.

Bobhobob

Bobhobob said:

While these games tend to be repetitive, I still love the series with each installment. Day 1 for me.
Also, THOSE HD GRAPHICS

Fazermint

Fazermint said:

Is this one of the "short notice, high impact" games that Iwata has been rapping about? Not a fan of the series myself, but it's a good addition to the Wii U stack.

rjejr

rjejr said:

• snappily-titled -

Thanks for making tea come out of my nose this morning TW.

I don't play Olympic games or any sports games that just rely on you hitting ABABABA over and over until your fingers bleed, but we'll probably get this one for the parts that look fun. And we own Mario Sports Mix, Mario Strikers, Mario Super Sluggers, Mario Power Tennis, and probably a couple more so my kid is going to want this one. We also occasionally play Go Vacation which is a sports minigame collection that most people don't know about b/c it doesn't have Mario in the title.

We're just calling it "Mario Winter Sports" though.

Does the inclusion of Isle Delfino mean we're getting a Sunshine sequel? HD remake? VC DL? I mean. why else put a summer island resort in a WINTER sports game?

Varia01

Varia01 said:

I'm gonna freakin miss the Wii U's HD graphics, and I may end up playing this one the 3DS! Still, that game looks pretty nifty and I may add it to my hype train cart eventually.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

@miron_khuzd That sucks! Is it cause it's not seen as manly/muscular enough? I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case in Russia. I still don't get why people have a problem with another one's funtime. And what about the games? Do some skip the Russian market? :(

GearsOfWarU

GearsOfWarU said:

I'm looking forward to this title... If for nothing else it has Hockey!!!! And I love both Mario & Sonic Universe's ... Never got an Olympic game before but ... I dig Hockey,Bobsledding,Snowboarding & let's not forget Curling (I know with training I can make the Olympic Team)

miron_khuzd

miron_khuzd said:

@AyeHaley basically it's a closed circle problem - nintendo games and systems are not very popular because they are quite expensive, there's no advertisement, and you can't even find them at the retail stores. And the retailers don't want to sell them, because they are not popular. Nintendo of Russia is trying to improve the situation but it goes really slow. It's still cheaper and more convenient to import, especially for the regions that are far away from the capital (you know, huge territory).
And also yes, lots of gamers often complain that Nintendo games look like kids' stuff, and "they can only make Mario and I already got tired of him when I had a NES".

dyopri

dyopri said:

not gonna buy this, but this game honestly looks great (graphic wise) kinda has a pixar animated feel to it don't you think?

element187

element187 said:

The game is looking gorgeous... I don't think I'll be able to day 1 it, but definitely will pick it up in time for the Winter Olympics.

TimLatshawAdmin

TimLatshaw said:

I will personally send a copy of Sonic '06 to anyone who cracks a joke about a Sonic-Peach relationship.

THIS IS A THREAT NOT A REWARD.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

I'll keep my eye on this one but it will be game play videos and reviews from people that tips me over the fence to buy.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

@GearsOfWarU athe hockey mode in the last game was surprisingly deep. If they can add options and controls a little similar to Mario Sports Mix I could be the centerpiece of the game. In fact I'm getting it just to play hockey and lack of NHL or nhl 2K on the Wii U.

Syntax

Syntax said:

@TimLatshaw I have to warn you that the SCP special units has you under radar awaiting 'neutralization' if you attempt to send your SCP-001 outside of it's containment boundary.

if you don't hear from me, I probably been captured and [REDACTED]

F4LLEND4RK

F4LLEND4RK said:

First when I look at this story I'm like: I'm probably not going to get that.
But then every time I see the graphics it temps me but then I have to try to tell myself that gameplay matters more than graphics.