Wii U Version Of Ghost Recon Online Still On Hold

Posted by Andy Green

Still not showing up on the radar

Way back in 2011, Ubisoft announced Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online and stated it would be coming to PC and Wii U, however, the developer has since put the Nintendo adaptation on hold while it focuses on the PC version.

It seems the situation hasn't changed as the game's official Twitter account confirmed earlier that the Wii U version remains out of active duty:

Ghost Recon Online is already available on PC but it appears Ubisoft is still labouring on it and will not be considering the Wii U iteration until it's fully finished.

Ubisoft has been an ardent supporter of Wii U with games such as ZombiU and Assassin's Creed III - and Rayman Legends and Watch_Dogs still to come - so we're still holding out hope the development team will get back to work on the Wii U edition in time.

Is Ghost Recon Online a game you're interested in? Let us know by dropping a comment below.

[via nintendoeverything.com, twitter.com]

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

Its on Hold, but that doesn't mean its cancelled. Probably more sensible way to do things tbh, purly from a technical point its far easier to fix client problems that may appear on the PC version.
Also Ubi May be waiting till the PC version has reached a target level of users so as to make sure the upkeep/running of the servers is viable.

NINTENBOY

NINTENBOY said:

They're gonna pull a "Rayman Legends" on us again!! Do not be surprised when the next time you hear about this game their gonna say:

"Oh BTW this is also coming out on the PS3/360/PS4/720 lol"

I get it because everyone thought Wii U was gonna sell like hot cakes like the first one but since people see there isn't super easy money to be made everyone is putting their cars in reverse. Still.....(no balls)

Anyway in short I'm glad it's still alive hope it comes out soon.

8thGenConsoles

8thGenConsoles said:

At least it's not cancelled and i hope this stays a console exclusive or else the Wii U version will be delayed even more. I also want this game to be available on retail, I don't like downloading games, I want the disc of Ghost Recon Online.

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

Probably keeping a close eye on the console's performance, especially nearing E3.

nik1470

nik1470 said:

I'm a big fan of the Ghost Recon franchise but even if they did cancel it I'd understand due to the limited install base and cost of the online services. They are actively supporting the console its not like I'd rage cancel my ubi pre-orders or anything.

HugoSmits

HugoSmits said:

This is one of the best games from recent times. Actually, it's the only triple A type of game that I played more than 40 hours in the last few years!

And it's completetly free!

Not sure if this will work on the WiiU though...

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

@HugoSmits Is it really that good? I was interested at E3 time but I decided to wait for the Wii U version. Why won't it work on Wii U - Iwata did say they were embracing F2P!

banacheck

banacheck said:

TC's Ghost Recon Future Soldier is good online, so i hoping Ghost Recon Online is still coming to the Wii U.

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

I understand, I'm actually a little proud of them. This makes me feel like they're holding back, so that once they have a good game, they can focus on properly implementing Wii U features, so it won't just be another port with Off TV play.

HugoSmits

HugoSmits said:

@C-Olimar I don’t think it will work well because it’s a really tactical team based game. Communication and good controls are key to winning a match. For communication you really need a headphone + microphone; because you need to actively talk with your team members to make sure snipers are giving backup on the right spot,etc (most modes are about capturing/defending spots on the map).

Also some classes have the ability to become invisible and they might just stab you in the back, so headphone is almost required to hear them coming.

Because this is a free2play game there are a lot of in depth options that can be upgraded. I play mainly as a sniper class being able to quickly and steady aim is crucial. Obviously this sounds normal for a sniper, but there are many ways to increase your steadiness (there’s a hit/damage percentage meter that will increase depending on how steady your aim is).

I just don’t see this working without a mouse.

Also there are a lot of extra hotkeys that you want to quickly access without letting go of your movement keys/mouse (switching weapon, throwing grenades, use your special abilities).

They can put those keys on the gamepad screen, but then you need to let your hand go from one of the sticks, which will be annoying.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

@HugoSmits OK, I see what you mean.
They could of course optimise the Wii U version of the game, but that would take extra development time - which is probably why it's on hold at the moment.

HugoSmits

HugoSmits said:

@C-Olimar Yeah, and of course all wiiU players would have the same disadvantages so the playing field is leveled. I just don’t think that I would personally enjoy it as much as the PC version.

As for the PC version; it’s awesome. Best thing about it that the matchmaking only fixes you up with players of around your skill level. This means that all the games are pretty fair, and you never end up against people that just simply emptied their parents bank account for a super-high leveled character that you can’t beat.

Locke_Highwind

Locke_Highwind said:

All the shooters showed in the E3 2011 was cancelled: Metro, Alien C.M., and maybe... just maybe, this one too

jayblue

jayblue said:

it wont get released along with watchdogs,oh well looks like ps4 needs bought watchchdogs looks amazing.

hayes1516

hayes1516 said:

I hope they get to it soon. This was one of the games I most wanted when the Wii U was announced.