Rumour: Criterion Is Rebooting Need For Speed: Underground

Posted by Damien McFerran

Updated: Criterion's creative director shoots down rumours

UPDATE: Criterion's Alex Ward has tweeted in response to these rumours:

So that's that, then.

ORIGINAL STORY: We've already reported on the fact that Criterion is working on a new project, and if a fresh rumour is to be believed, we could now have a name for that project: Need For Speed: Underground.

The logo shown below has leaked online, suggesting that the UK-based studio is hard at work rebooting the 2003 entry in the long-running racing series.

It would certainly tie-in with recent releases; in 2010, Criterion rebooted NFS: Hot Pursuit, and last year launched NFS: Most Wanted. A Wii U edition of the latter appeared this year, and is considered to be the best version available.

If Underground is happening and is being made by Criterion, we can expect to see the Nintendo version ship at the same time as the others.

Are you interested in playing a fresh take on NFS: Underground? Let us know by posting a comment.

[via egmnow.com, gonintendo.com]

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm definitely interested given how awesome Need for Speed: Most Wanted is. I haven't played the original Need for Speed: Underground either.

Aidano123

Aidano123 said:

News for speed underground is my favourite NFS game i would definitely pick this up of its released for Wii u

seronja

seronja said:

NFS underground 2 was my favourite NFS game of all time & the underground series were my fav. of the franchise... i hope this is true and that they can keep the roots of upgrading lowriders and other awesome custom upgrades and races... i hope this is true =)

SneakyStyle

SneakyStyle said:

That would be great!, I have to admit it was also my fav of all the games the NFS games. xD Has to say something right? So far the first 4 posts all feel the same way hehe.

Big_L91

Big_L91 said:

oh my god nfs:underground 2 is without doubt one of the best racers ever. really cant wait to hear more about this. especially with citeron smashing it at the moment. wicked news!!!! full hype!!!

Pachterkid

Pachterkid said:

Very interested, though a part of me was kind of hoping for a new Burnout title. I still go back and play Burnout 2 on my Gamecube every once in a while.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

I hated underground, it was a chav filled chav game made for fans of the appalling fast and furious films. But making a quality version of a game for fans of that on the wii u is good news.
Only racer news I'm on tenterhooks for is F-Zero. It's been tooooooo long Nintendo.

Ignatius_Cheese

Ignatius_Cheese said:

BREAKING NEWS!! Fake logo is fake.

I would like to see Criterion back working on a new iteration of the Burnout franchise and letting either Black Box or another EA developer working on the next NFS.

Ignatius_Cheese

Ignatius_Cheese said:

Update: Alex Ward tweeted that this is fake and that Criterion have moved on from reboots and remakes https://twitter.com/AlexanderJWard/status/322632944776802304

valcoholic

valcoholic said:

would've been bad news anyway as it's WiiU release would be more realistic if it's not coming from EA as Publisher :|

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

It's always good news as long as it sticks to its roots. The original NFS Most Wanted is still the best NFS title available in my opinion though.

nastobi123

nastobi123 said:

man they kept bringing games that were relevant back in 2001-2003. They made Luigis Mansion, they're making Pikmin, Criterion made MW2, and I hope this would be true.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

I absolutely loved the Burnout series, and Underground was my favourite NFS game (but even at that time it looked similar to Burnout at least as far as some track layouts went). In fact, the only racing games I have had (or still have) are Burnout 3, Burnout Devastation, Burnout Revenge, NFS Underground, Forza 3 & 4 and Mario Kart DD & Mario Kart Wii, with Most Wanted U just added to my collection.
Regardless of what the new game will be, chances are good that I will buy it.

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

This could be really cool as long as it's not insanely over the top fast. I loved the first two games and bought a wheel for them. Now I actually have an S2000 so it's all more relevant. Hopefully there will be lots of customization.

JSuede

JSuede said:

Considering the logo has images repeated (U, N, R) I'm not surprised it's fake.

Hopefully they are making another NFS since they said all future entries will come to Wii U, but I could see EA making them do Burnout or pretty much anything other than NFS, just to spite Nintendo.