Castlevania: Mirror of Fate Kept Mercury Steam Afloat

Posted by Damien McFerran

Producer Dave Cox gives more details on 3DS epic

In an interview with Eurogamer, Konami producer Dave Cox has revealed that were it not for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate, Spanish developer Mercury Steam might not be here today.

Reflecting on the current demands of video game development, Cox said:

Look what's happened to [Darksiders developer] Vigil. Generally you do ramp up towards the end of a project and then you do let some people go. But, basically, we put everything into Lords of Shadow. The studio banked everything on it. It was, literally, if we don't have a project by the end of the month, we're finished.

It was Cox's idea to produce a handheld Castlevania, which would be cheap to produce and wouldn't take as long as a home console release, and this would allow Mercury Steam to remain in business. The team picked the 3DS as the platform, despite working on a Vita prototype. Cox says that it was the Nintendo console's unique autostereoscopic screen which sealed the deal:

The aspect of the 3D-ness, using the 3D camera and being able to take the camera into the game. Although it's a 2.5D game, we do take the camera in a lot. There are many fights later on in the game where you play in third-person. Jose Luis [Márquez, game director] and his team felt that was something we couldn't do as effectively with the Vita.

This is something that's quite hard to explain. Until you play the game in 3D you don't appreciate this aspect of it. But when you play the game in 3D the world comes alive. The depth of it comes alive. And when the camera comes into the world that's an effect I don't think you can see on any other console. That's what excited them originally.

Mirror of Fate launches in North America on March 5th and Europe on March 8th.

[via eurogamer.net]

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I'm still hurt about Vigil... what a terrible industry to work on...

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

Dave Cox strikes me as a really decent guy.
I'm going to get a XL soon so I'll grab this too. We should all try and lend a hand to these hardworking people and show our support.

It's all going a bit juggs up lately.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Damien There is a be missing in the opening paragraph.;)

I'm really hoping this is going to be great. We shall see really soon!

sigma

sigma said:

Really looking forward to this game, tomorrow we get the Demo can wait to play it.
Already pre-ordered mine so Dave is going to get my money :)

XXIV

XXIV said:

So, if Vigil had made a 3DS game, they might still be in business :D
Probably not, but this was pretty cool to hear about.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

Gah!!! I sold my 3DS to game stop for my Wii U, i really want to a get 3DS Xl now. Alot of good comes coming for it and some out I yet to get.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Had this preordered for a while so will be getting it soon :) But I've been a fan of the Castlevania series for years anyway, and I thought Lords Of Shadow was a brilliant reboot...it wasn't Castlevania in the traditional sense but it was still a great game in it's own right and had more than enough elements of Castlevania and nods to the other games to make it a worthy entry into the franchise.

luminalace

luminalace said:

I really hope they nail it. The demo tonight will decide if I am getting the game. The DS Castlevania games were fantastic so I expect greatness.