Castlevania: Mirror of Fate Could Come To Home Consoles

Posted by Damien McFerran

Nintendo exclusivity could mean a Wii U version in the future

It's something of a bumper morning for Castlevania fans, as Konami producer Dave Cox has been giving interviews with several different sites regarding the forthcoming 3DS title Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate.

Having already spilled the beans on the game's development and storyline to GameSpot, Cox has mentioned to CVG that a HD version of the game is perfectly possible, as Konami and MercurySteam have HD-ready assets at hand:

Then we lost bones from characters, you know, we dropped the resolution of the textures and everything to make it fit. At MercurySteam we have an HD version of the game sitting there in a computer somewhere.

Cox was then asked if Konami would consider a home console version with HD visuals, to which he replied:

Absolutely, yeah. We would consider it.

We want as many people to play it as possible. Obviously we have an exclusivity deal with Nintendo right now though and they've been very supportive of the product.

Could this mean a Wii U version in the future? Let's hope so. Mirror of Fate already looks amazing on the 3DS; in HD it would be even more striking.

Mirror of Fate launches in North America on March 5th, with the European release coming slightly later, on the 8th.

[via computerandvideogames.com]

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

Let's hope so???

No way, an exclusive is what keeps you from giving away your console, so what, should we all hope in a HD version of Luigi's Mansion 2, Animal Crossing NL and Fire Emblem Awakening?

No please, and you know, Castlevania MoF will remain on the Gamestop shelf, forever

hiptanaka

hiptanaka said:

Yes, please. A Wii U version would be great. I really want to play the game, but I don't care enough for portable systems to get a 3DS.

RedRocBoy

RedRocBoy said:

Day one purchase on 3DS, would be dope for Nintendo owners to have our home console version.

rjejr

rjejr said:

"We created everything in high definition - all the textures, all the levels, high-poly models, everything - and we kind of shrunk it all down into the 3DS."

This is what I keep hopeing Monolithsoft will say about Xenoblade Chronicles. I would have thought anybody making a Wii game over the past few years would have done so in HD in anticipation of an HD Wii or to port it to the PS3 or Xbox360.

FYI Sony has done this with several PSP titles on the PS3:

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

hey as long as we get Lords of Shadow 2 on the Wii U i'll be happy but a Wii U version of Mirror of Fate would be nice too

belmont

belmont said:

3D + home consoles smells more like PS3 than Wii U. Also the developers chose 3DS over Vita due to the 3D effect.

However I will get MoF even if it may not be the Castlevania I loved the previous years.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

How about releasing HD collection of the GBA and DS Castlevania games first. I would love to replay Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria and Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclesia all in glorified HD exclusively on Wii U.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I'd rather see LoS2 make its way to the Wii U instead of a port of MoF.

ThreeD33

ThreeD33 said:

I'd buy it. probably gettin this on my 3DS too. I'll be gattin RE:R on my wii u even though I have it on my 3DS but to be honest I liked it alot and the more games the merrier.

Neram

Neram said:

Well so much for building hype for the 3DS version. They might as well be saying "Don't bother buying the 3DS version, just wait until we break exclusivity with Nintendo and make this for PS3 and 360 but not Wii U because well... It's Nintendo and we're a third-party developer, third-parties don't support Nintendo home consoles, everyone knows that."