Didn't Pick Up The Pink 3DS XL? Hard Luck

Posted by Damien McFerran

Strictly limited edition, according to Nintendo

Late last year, Nintendo released the Pink / White 3DS XL in North America as a limited edition. The system was clearly something of a hit with consumers, as it has since sold out - and if you missed the chance to pick one up, it looks like your only hope now is to purchase a pre-owned model.

According to GoNintendo, a Nintendo representative provided the following information regarding the availability of the system:

Thank you for taking the time to write to us about the Pink Nintendo 3DS XL. I can confirm that this color was a limited edition, and at this time there have been no announcements regarding its re-release or the release of additional colors. I certainly understand your thoughts on this matter and want you to know how much we appreciate you sending them in.

If additional new colors are announced in the future, we'll be sure to post the news to our website, www.nintendo.com, so be sure to check back from time to time. I also want to assure you that your comments will be added to our records for Nintendo 3DS XL colors and made available for other departments at the company to use as they see fit.

Were you hoping to get a pink system, or are you holding out for the North American release of the gorgeous White 3DS XL instead?

[via gonintendo.com]

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Wow, I'm assuming that this article was written because Nintendo never said it was limited edition when it came out? If they did say that, that's cool, as sometimes Ninty have been known to have "limited editions" last years, haha.

Shworange

Shworange said:

My wife has been bugging me to get her a pink 3dsxl. There are two at our neighborhood target. Maybe this would be a good time then...

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

I'd like to have one with the white interior, but I'll wait until they release one with a different outer color. My wife would never let me hear the end of having a pink 3DS!

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

I'm glad a bought the other limited edition (Pikachu XL) White + another color is pretty.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

The XL is too much of a luxury purchase if you have a standard, compact model. Still, the XL is a lovely thing when opened up.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

This is why I picked up a white one, even though I probably won't buy any 3DS for at least a year because my DS backlog is so big. I didn't want to risk missing out on one.

Pixel-Perfect

Pixel-Perfect said:

Eh... I'm interested in a Pink XL, but not really that pink XL. Isn't this the one that's only pink on the outside? Pass.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

I don't get how nintendo get's away with calling this a limited edition. It's just pink there's no actual design on it except for the color. If it's limited edition I'd expect it to have some relation to a video game series like mario or pokemon etc something. They could have done more with the system then just slapping a different color on the system & calling it ''limited'' edition.

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

Maybe after this model is out of the way, Nintendo will release a new, better colored limited edition XL. Maybe then I'll get an XL.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

The Pink color probably didn't sell too swiftly. And thus, the "Limited Edition" was born!

Mordresh

Mordresh said:

Wasn't there also a rumor for a green 3DS(XL) with the launch of Luigi's Mansion ?

Tony_342

Tony_342 said:

Still waiting on Silver. I really want to give you $200, Nintendo. I really do.

astrotriforce

astrotriforce said:

I'm one of the few straight men who have always wanted to buy a pink portable game system and would have no problems using it in public. I love pink. And this thing looks gorgeous. Since I never have bought a pink portable in the past (hey I love pink, but other colors like black kick ass too) maybe I should start with this one! lights goes off in head

Rod64

Rod64 said:

How hard can it be to release a new color? If fans are willing to buy it till it sells out, it makes no sense not to have a normal release of a pink 3DS. I mean, specially since we only have Ugly Blue and Childish Red.

ChrisD

ChrisD said:

@Barbiegurl777

To be fair, limited edition doesn't really state that there's anything special about said object. I mean the 3DS XL could be a limited edition system itself if they wanted, whether it was pink, black, or yellow. If it was only sold for a limited amount of time it would still be a limited edition. SPECIAL edition on the other hand I would completely agree with you.

yamiec

yamiec said:

After searching everywhere for pink/white found a sick bundle at walmart.com just in time for my daughters birthday. :)

Toekki

Toekki said:

@yamiec So glad that you mentioned WalMart I didn't even think to look there because I never buy any electronics from them but that bundle I want. Thanks for posting. :)