Pier Solar HD Kickstarter Smashes Through Wii U Stretch Goal

Posted by Damien McFerran

Nintendo version now assured

You'll have to forgive us if we've been talking a lot about Pier Solar recently, but we're rather taken with WaterMelon's 16-bit RPG.

Launched in 2010 on the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis, the game received a limited print run which has since become a collector's item. Keen to get the game into the hands of a wider audience, WaterMelon set up a Kickstarter campaign to produce a HD version of the title for a wide range of platforms.

That campaign quickly reached its target goal, by which point the developer added a series of stretch goals - one of which was a version on the Wii U.

Guess what? That goal has also been smashed, meaning that you'll soon be able to enjoy this unique old-school RPG on your shiny new Wii U console. In the meantime, check out our impressions of the Mega Drive version (and its insanely awesome packaging).

[via kickstarter.com]

TysonOfTime

TysonOfTime said:

YES! YES!
Ooooh I am ecstatic right now.
I was unsure this would make it, and now I'm quite happy.

SpaceKappa

SpaceKappa said:

Yes! I sadly missed this the first time around, DEFINITELY going for the Wii U version. I hope they include the option to play it with the original 16-bit graphics.

Knux

Knux said:

Oh sweet! Hopefully, it will come to PSN like the developers hinted at!

zipmonStaff

zipmon said:

Hey that's wonderful news!! I will definitely pick this up! @SpaceKappa I'm hoping so too - as cool as the new backgrounds look, I prefer the old school look!

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

Hallelujah, they made it!!!! I was a little worried the Wii U version might not get made. This is FANTASTIC news!!!! Day 1 download without question!!

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

I was a little worried some days ago when Wii U seemed so far to reach.
But today it comes the excellent news, and my body is even more ready now for tomorrow's Ninendo Direct!

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@SpaceKappa: They already confirmed that they are in the first update to the Kickstarter:
"The original SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis graphics of Pier Solar HD will be playable on every single platform, XBOX360, PC, Mac, Linux, and Sega Dreamcast.

It will be unlock-able by finding a special in game item, a "Pier Solar Mega Drive Cartridge" that is hidden somewhere in the very beginning of the game...

Once you find this, it will unlock the entire version of Pier Solar for the SEGA Mega Drive & SEGA Genesis!"

So not quite as simple as a menu option before you start the game, but a nice addition nevertheless. :)

LittleKing

LittleKing said:

It's amazing to think they even have the man power to port the game to so many different systems. I'm glad this is getting the recognition it deserves. Hopefully the Wii U version will blow us away!

Emaan

Emaan said:

This is really intriguing, glad it got the support it needed. I might just get this for my Wii U. I've been needing an RPG fix. :D

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

This is great news that it's coming to Wii U, if it didn't then I might have gotten it for my Dreamcast then, but glad's it's on Wii U

evildevil97

evildevil97 said:

Didnt know this existed. Will consider the Wii U version, especially if there's off-tv play.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

I put in a little for the 360 version, but might also get the Wii U version if they use the game pad well. Nice to see it made all the stretch goals anyway.