Nintendo Now Involved With Twilight Symphony

Posted by Andy Green

Set to be released before Christmas

Twilight Symphony, the epic 3-disc orchestral rearrangement of music from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, was set to be released mid-November but never actually made it through the letterboxes of those who placed an order.

The box-set, made by the extremely talented Zelda Reorchestrated and distributed by Joypad Records, was available for pre-order a couple of months back, but only 1,000 copies were made with 500 of them being dispersed to those who helped fund the project. The reason for its mysterious disappearance is because Nintendo saw just how much the project had expanded, and instead of getting its lawyers involved decided to jump on board to help the team out.

In an email sent out to those who pre-ordered, Zelda Reorchestrated said that the project had been delayed as Nintendo wanted it to be “consistent with their brand identity”, but remained confident that most U.S. orders would arrive before 25th December — literally just in time for Christmas. International orders may take a little more time, however.

Nintendo’s influence doesn’t appear to have affected the audio in any way, as the email explains:

Most of the changes Nintendo has asked us to incorporate are cosmetic, and should not affect the audio quality or physical packaging of Twilight Symphony as originally advertised.

Digital copies will also be made available on Joypad Records’ official website, and through iTunes for those who weren't lucky enough to grab a limited edition set.

Are you excited about Twilight Symphony? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via zeldainformer.com]

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

I soooo hope I can afford this eventually. Cool to know Nintendo is good with it too.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

For a second there I thought this was saying that Nintendo was involved with the highly overrated Twilight series. Or as I like to call it, Twitlight.

Nardar

Nardar said:

@jkvasn
As of now they haven't announce how much the digital will be.
@Jaco
They are not making anymore physical copies. After the first 500 were sold out, they put 2000 up and said once those are sold out they would stop making them and so they're sold out now. The only way to get the music now is digital.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Well at least now I know why they didn't released it mid november and thought something happened to them...

Now I know it will be released :)

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

I feel like there are some details missing in this story. Still, there is no denying that whatever Nintendo is demanding here in terms of consistent brand identity it seems it could have shut down this project pretty easily... and it didn't.

I respect the effort these guys have gone to and how awesome it must be to realize their dreams, but, personally I've only found the ZREO arrangements of the past okay. I've listened to a bit, and they've definitely moved up a notch and the real instruments and performances layered over the synth is pretty good.

I wonder what's next for them? I'm just happy Nintendo has valued the orchestrated music enough to give some amazing renditions in that 25th anniversary CD and tour. I hope these guys and Nintendo keep it up!

Phle

Phle said:

Ah, so I can buy it on iTunes? That would be awesome! I'm probably going to get it (^_^)

@morphballer lol You sound just like my boyfriend. I didn't even notice the connection before I saw your comment :)

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Awesome!
Hopefully with Nintendo behind it we'll be able to get it from some digital outlets as well. I'm replaying Twilight Princess at the moment, and I'm not sure I ever fully appreciated how somber and heartbreaking its soundtrack is. Can't wait to hear some proper renditions of them.

Shining-Void

Shining-Void said:

B..but the discs. and the the case, It won't be the same without them. Why haven't I heard of this until now. I guess I have to settle for lame digital downloads. crud

Nanoline

Nanoline said:

Meh.

I would have been excited a few years back. I was a big fan of ZREO back then. But nearly three years of no music just killed my excitement. Fan-made projects done by OCRemix with just as many songs and just as much required input have been put together MUCH faster and with plenty of polish - just look at Harmony of a Hunter for an example of that, or the Final Fantasy VI soundtrack OCRemix just finished.

It stuns me that fans can do all this for free in a reasonable amount of time, but people who DEMANDED $18,000 not only take forever to do it, but then want huge sums of money on top of that, even before Nintendo got involved.

Kaine_Morrison

Kaine_Morrison said:

Still patiently waiting for my copy in the mail.
There's ONE really good thing about Nintendo getting involved: The orders WILL be filled and we won't get s screwed over.

Plus..... Nintendo Seal of Quality.

AyatollaofRock

AyatollaofRock said:

@ Nanoline 18,000 is not a huge sum of money given the scope of the project, especially when we are talking putting together a physical version, licensing plus the amount of work which has gone into it.

Not everything can be free.

I'm personally quite looking forward to it because I think its a great collectors item and I really liked the story of Twilight Princess so looking forward to the music.

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

Now if only Nintendo can do this with the Symphony of the Goddess. Having Twilights music is good, but I like all the other games' music as well.

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

hey does anyone know if they will make any more? because it is sold out and I really want one bad!!!

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

Very awesome news about Nintendo being on board supporting something like this from the fans.

Nanoline

Nanoline said:

@AyatollaofRock The problem is that they wanted the $18,000 BEFORE licensing.That all came together almost a year and a half ago. Then we went six months without an update, and the next one was "hey guys, we're still working on it, nothing to report".

Now, take the $50 price tag. Multiply that by the amount sold - 2000 (500 were given away to Kickstarter supporters). That's $100,000.

$100,000.

Now remind yourself that when this project began, ZREO implicitly told us that the entire thing was going to be a non-profit venture.

Bullllllll. Three years this project was dragged out, and now a grand total of $118,000 has been raised from fans for a non-profit project. And somehow I really, really doubt that Nintendo is demanding $50 for each CD sold, so that money is going somewhere else. And it's a short list of who it could be.

I just find it appalling, again, that fans can produce a work on par with this for free in a year, while ZREO takes three years and $118,000 to do the same damn job. That is ridiculous.

And for anyone saying "well ZREO had a real orchestra/choir", actually no, if you look at their FAQ, only part of it was an orchestra and choir - they used considerable sampled bits too, which by the way are free to get ahold of. This, and fan projects have used choirs and orchestras too without demanding a truckload of cash.

I took back my own donation from them when I saw what was going on, and judging by the comments I've seen on forums and message boards in the last few months, I'm not the only one. Maybe some consider this ZREO's defining project, but all I see is a site that was once a BASTION of quality fan music turning into a corporate shill to line their own pockets.