Two Tribes: Old Wii U GamePad Design "Was Like a Toy"

Posted by Damien McFerran

Developer is pleased with revised model

As with any consumer product, the Wii U has gone through revisions since it leapt off the drawing boards at Nintendo's Kyoto HQ.

One of the features that has undergone the most change is the GamePad itself; as you will no doubt recall, the first publicly-announced model had slider pads like the one seen on the 3DS handheld, as well as other cosmetic differences.

Toki Tori 2 developer Two Tribes is incredibly pleased that Nintendo decided to revise the controller, and has revealed on Twitter that the first version was less than satisfactory.

[via twitter.com]

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Design wise the slidepads look better on the controller IMO.

But it's great to hear that the change made it nicer for longer gaming sessions, that's far more important than how it looks.

KatoStudios

KatoStudios said:

It's all about preference so I am not going to be rude. I prefer the actual analog like what ps3 and 360 have. Honestly I wouldn't buy the console if it still had sliders because FPS's would be (no offense, I just prefer analogs incredibly). So excited for Wii U, already payed for my premium bundle in full, now just gotta wait.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

now this is more random and better news then that other topic >.>

but wonder what it would of been like to use that toy like game pad :o

Nin-freak

Nin-freak said:

@19Robb92 I agree completely. The slider pads are good for portability and looks, but if you don't need portability than joysticks are the way to go.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

There is not enough positive vibe coming out about the wii u. I blame the gaming media to an extent because they seem to be focusing on non-news, Pachter and rumours coming from anonymous devs.

Nintendo in HD should be enough to make the world stand up and take notice. They practically popularised every thing that is used in modern gaming console except the eyetoy, headset and kinect.

Sony and MS have shown their lack of innovation up with their late to the party motion controlled gashness. We all know the dualshock 4 will have a screen.

Nintendo were accused of ignoring their core fans with the wii but I reckon the core franchises on the wii were better than they have been on any other console.

I think the game changer will be the second screen for 2 player and for letting your kid play on while you watch TV.

JayceJa

JayceJa said:

the slider pads look better, and it seemed they were the better choice on the original because of how flat the pad was
the revised one having thicker and better grips mean that analogues work better on it

Rect_Pola

Rect_Pola said:

I'm neither thrilled or livid about the slider pads, but I think the sticks are superior. The pad was a huge improvement over PSP's nub, but using it doesn't feel as natural as stick. It really took me a while to figure out what exactly was wrong, but I think it's the fact you don't feel the change from neutral as you do with a stick that physically tilts. The pad is a great move for portable gaming, but the point of thing is moot on a console. Now day they merge and "a console" is just a private hub machine you wirelessly connect to with your gamepad on the go (a hybrid of what the Vita/PS3 is allegedly doing with the packed in nature of the WiiU) that's a different story.

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

I personally think that the joysticks were an improvement. It worked so nicely on the nunchuck. Of course, if they had stuck with the original design, I wouldn't have flipped out.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Is it possible to make clickable slider pads? I don't mind using a slider or a stick, but something that I hate in 3DS is the lack of texture in the slider, so my fingers slide off (yeah, pun intended) it during heated gameplay.

Also nice to hear that Nintendo listened to third parties and changed the gamepad. It seems they don't pretend to know it all.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I rub my circle pad with my shirt when it gets hard to hold it. Then I just use my thumb as normal.