Check Out These Interesting Sonic Facts

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Now that he's pals with Mario

In the past months we've shared some videos from the Did You Know Gaming YouTube channel, which takes well-known and loved franchises and digs out some interesting facts and quirks for us to enjoy. These typically involve buried lines of code that reveal abandoned development ideas, or just snippets of information about concepts left on the cutting room floor.

The latest franchise to get the treatment is Sonic the Hedgehog, the sworn enemy of Mario and Nintendo during the 16-bit era, in particular. That's all changed, of course, and Sonic and Mario now regularly meet up for some competitive Olympic sport and high-fives, with the spiky one even being kind enough to let others have a chance in the 100-metre sprint. The animosity is gone, so we feel that we should all be able to avoid looking back in anger.

So here it is, with some facts on Dr Eggman's origins — or Dr Robotnik as he's known to older gamers — some hidden concept art in Sonic CD and more: check it out below.

Thanks to Shane Gill for the tip

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

I already knew about this, but it's still interesting for anybody else!

(IN B4 THE "OMG, SONIC SUCKS, Y U POST DIS CRAP" COMMENT.)

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

Some interesting facts. Some I knew alredy, like Madona, however it scare's me that Eggman's mustache is fake.

Hejiru

Hejiru said:

FYI, that site is not a reliable source. Sure, they have a lot of genuine trivia, but there's also a lot of baseless rumors, fan speculation and other fake stuff that's stated as fact.

TomThumb

TomThumb said:

@Hejiru Besides the fact that everything on the site is sourced and speculation is clearly labeled as speculation.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

What was the song at the end of the video? It was heavenly.

EDIT: Rooftop Run. Man, I should play Sonic Generations more.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Some very interesting facts and the only one of these I already knew was the one about Eggman originally being intended as a protagonist. I had seen that creepy Sonic CD screen before but I couldn't remember how it could be seen. I'm glad they scrapped the Madonna idea. Having a human love interest for Sonic didn't work well in Sonic 06 but I wouldn't have thought that that would be a good idea anyway.

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

I love me some Sonic trivia! I knew most of these, but I haven't gotten to play CD yet, so I only knew some of those. I'm really looking forward to getting the History of Sonic the Hedgehog book. Then all Sonic-based knowledge will be mine! <insert evil laugh here>

RR529

RR529 said:

I gotta watch this later (I'm currently on my 3DS). I love all of their other videos.

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

Knew most of these, but the videos are still fun to watch. Some things I usually don't know though. Especially that last one.

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

sooooo...
sonic is apparently dead.

that'll upset the kids.

His skull is around some human skaters neck.

Spooky

Spooky said:

These videos are great but they do feel too manufactured, I prefer watching yuriofwind on youtube. His gaming mysteries videos are great

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

The fact that the "SEGA!!" chant took up 1/8th of the cartridge space just blew my mind.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

Cool. I like the waiting, and game over part the best. The pictures and stuff were cool too... As for the Sega chant, I think that it took up so much because they didn't know how to put a compressed audio file on a cartridge. Looking back, having voices in any game would have been an accomplishment.

animalzer0

animalzer0 said:

Me being a SEGA fanboy.. I knew all of it. But LOVE the effort put into DYKG, I love dat site :'D

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

The only one of those I knew is that the SEGA soundbyte took up 1/8 of the cart. Very cool video. Glad to see there's still some "SEGAlife" left, even though James isn't around anymore.