Prince of Persia Creator Is Bringing His Karateka Remake To Wii U

Posted by Damien McFerran

Jordan Mechner's martial arts classic is coming to Nintendo's new console

You may have heard of Jordan Mechner. He's the man behind a little game called Prince of Persia, one of the most successful and enduring video game franchises of all time. He also created a title called Karateka in 1984, an action game which involves plenty of martial arts action.

Karateka is getting something of a facelift for modern systems, with versions confirmed for PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and iOS. Thanks to an ESRB rating, we now know that the game is also destined to appear on the Wii U.

A downloadable release is looking most likely, as the game will only available in this manner on other formats.

[via esrb.org]

ogo79

ogo79 said:

i have the original one, perhaps one day ill mess with it again...

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Its been 25 years since I've played that game. Remember it being something like an amp'd up version of Kung Fu for the nes. I also remember hating having to use a keyboard to do the moves since I was 10.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I played this many times on my Atari 800 - brilliant game. I can't say I see the point in updating it, but I'll be curious to see the result.

Ras

Ras said:

Good to see a bunch of fellow geriatric gamers who played this game when new. I'm off to look for trailers, as this is the first I'm hearing about the remake.

NTELLIGENTMAN

NTELLIGENTMAN said:

Not a bad game, but why remake it? The remake will still fail to be as spectacular as Tekken, Soul Calibur, Power Stone, etc.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Apparently, he's adding a rhythm aspect, which I find fitting as success in the original had a lot to do with rhythm, just not overtly.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

I'm surprised that this game is being remade!
Jordan Mechner's classic Karateka is fun, with good controls and rather impressively fluid animation for its time (I know rotoscoping was used for Prince of Persia, and I'm certain that technique was used for this game as well, if I'm not mistaken)

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

I loved Karateka when it first came out so I'm excited to see what is done with the remake.

Jgam

Jgam said:

love to play this again i spent hours playing it and i couldn´t defeat the 4th boss ...also i love just to walk left and fall XD thouse were great times......