Dragon Quest 3D Smashes 500k Sales in Its First Week

Posted by James Newton

Terry's wonderful

3DS remake Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D has shot to the top of the Japanese charts with an incredible 513,183 units sold in its first week.

The much-anticipated release sent 3DS hardware sales over 100,000 units, shifting 101,075 in a week, a near-90% increase on the previous week's 55,212 sales. Thanks to Dragon Quest, 3DS hardware sales were twice the number of every other console combined.

DQ's 513k sales make it the second fastest-selling 3DS game yet in Japan, just shy of Monster Hunter 3 G's first week tally of 521.959.

[via andriasang.com]

fchinaski

fchinaski said:

I don't have a 3DS yet, but if this comes to Europe, I'll buy one without question.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Damn right it does. LOCALISE IT! :0
The good people in Japan know whats good. Dont assume all the West is completely blind to Dragon Quest's greatness.
(I'm trying to open their eyes - it'll take a while).

Virus

Virus said:

I can't wait for this game. The original Gameboy Color one was my favorite of the system.

firearrow505

firearrow505 said:

I agree with fchinaski i'll buy a 3DS just for this or Kingdom hearts or paper mario or New super Marios bros or..................go's to buy 3DS

JJOR64

JJOR64 said:

I was going to say "That's incredible," but it IS a Dragon Quest game and those always sell really will in Japan. Still, it's impressive for a 3DS game. I had Joker for DS and it was OK. Might give this a shot if it comes to the US.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Very weird since it still looks like Joker 2 to me with...absolutely nothing apparently new. :/

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I mean seriously how many people live in Japan?! At this rate Nintendo will be forced to release a new version of the system just so they can earn some more money.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@Tech101 I don't know what you mean by that, but Japan has significantly less people than the US, and gaming is less (yes, less) popular over in Japan. These are actually very good numbers.

DashDG

DashDG said:

And just like MH3G, this is probably another game we wont be seeing overseas... Sad.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Mickeymac What I ment was soon every Japanese gamer that wants a 3ds will have one at this pace in the next year or two. Nintendo will be forced to make a new version just because sales will come to a halt because demand would have been met. There is already 6 million users in Japan. That makes 1-12 that already own this game here. Just think about the fact that more then 1-3 people own monster hunter over there. At least I think its over 2 million now. Could be wrong.

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

Wait. What's that? Dragon Quest sells well in Japan!! WOW.
In other news : Bears do s**t in the woods and the Pope is Catholic!

Bobhobob

Bobhobob said:

@GreenDream
Except Dragon Quest adds new stuff, isn't the same game over and OVER AND OVER again. But otherwise, you are completely correct sir.
(Oh gawd I hope I didn't just start a CoD argument...)

cfgk24

cfgk24 said:

Japan has a population of 128 million people
6 million 3ds sold there already
122 million consoles still to sell! Nintendo are only 5% there!
I wonder which will be the first game to sell 2 million copies?
I'm betting on Monster hunter 4

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@Bobhobob Actually, Dragon Quest is the most samey RPG series I've encountered. Dragon Quest IX still feels like a beefed up version of Dragon Quest III rather than an entirely new game...

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

You gotta admit, though, Dragon Quest 8 was pretty sweet! Modern Warfare 1 was too, for it's time.

@Bobhobob I have RPG pro-bias myself. Don't worry, this is Nintendo Life, not Kotaku. :P

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

Yes, yes, this is all very good news, but I think the real question we all want to know the answer to is how well Rocket Slime 3 has performed?

...What's that, you say? Only I care about Rocket Slime 3? Okay. :(