Rhythm Thief Misses UK Charts

Posted by James Newton

Oh, Raphael...

Funky Parisian 3DS game Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure has failed to land a foothold in the UK Top 40 charts in its first week.

Price cuts and Easter promotions led to increased sales of older titles, which may have contributed to keeping Raphael's groove on the down low. Top of the charts was the much-hyped Kinect Star Wars, while the highest placed Nintendo-only title was SEGA's mascot mash-up Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games at number 8. Nintendo's Mario Party 9 kept the multiplayer gaming going in 14th place.

Kid Icarus: Uprising fell to 39th place in the all-formats chart.

[via ukie.org.uk]

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

While I'm sure rhythm thief is a great game (and loved the demo), it's come at a bad time, I bought several games in the massive GAME/gamestation sale recently, and it's hard to justify buying another full price title when I have a huge stack of games to get through first.

LittleFuryThing

LittleFuryThing said:

Shame, but I did my part and got the game. It's very good and despite some flaws I'm finding it very enjoyable.

steveex

steveex said:

The problem for 3DS games is that it seems like most stores barely get any stock, so it becomes very hard to get high chart placings, and with GAME not stocking new Nintendo games at the moment, it makes it even harder.

Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee said:

Got it Thursday. Love it. Up to Chapter 7. That second Samba De Amigo stage is so hard to get an A on :(

Anyway, as Nintendo were in charge of marketing this game in Europe, this is partially their fault. If they advertised it as much as they do Professor Layton, which this game is very similar to, it would have easily sold better. Nintendo would rather waste money on hiring some idiots to drive around in "real" Mario Kart's to advertise old games everybody already has though.

Myx

Myx said:

no wonder. rhythm games are officially dead ;-)
didn't they check the development of those [music-instrument]hero-games on the big consoles? ignorance is bliss, and rhythm thief a flop that could be spotted over two miles away.

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

@Myx They'll make a comeback in about ten years, you wait and see!!

Really want this game, but right now my funds aren't allowing me to get it...

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Kid Icarus is in 39TH PLACE?!?!?!!?!?!?!?! What's wrong with us gamers, buying Call of Duty and Halo every time there's a new map pack and not buying a game 10X better than all of those games combined.

PixelatedPixie

PixelatedPixie said:

I kind of feel bad for not buying Rhythm Thief, especially given that we're unlikely to get more of these sorts of games from Sega in the immediate future. I still intend on purchasing it at a later date, but at the minute I'm still enjoying Kid Icarus and I'm awaiting delivery of Henry Hatsworth from Amazon.

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

@SkywardLink98
Kid Icarus Uprising is 8/10 in my opinion, an OK game but there are much better ones available. I wouldn´t really mind if they didn´t make more sequels (unless they give us better control options) I´d rather have fourth SSB as soon as possible. During the past 15 days I´ve played KIU for about 12 hours. I borrowed my friends copy of Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D and haven´t played that much for a long while, over 20 hours in 4 days. Best game I´ve played for years even if people say the 3DS version isn´t as good as the others.

I enjoyed Rhythm Thief demo, but that game felt something I would only pay 10€ in eShop definetely not 50€. Others must have thought so too since it missed UK charts (or they don´t even know it exists).

Djrr-ific

Djrr-ific said:

@Luffymcduck

Only €10? For me it's worth €40.. and the demo doesn't feature anything of the story(which is actually logical because implementing a story in a demo is kind of impossible..) And the story, graphics, cutscreens and the harder minigames are what make this game more than worth full price..

I think it didn't get enough marketing.. :P Plus I heard that a lot of stores didn't have it in store before the weekend.. I understood it was only available online so I think that also caused this... Hopefully it will sell enough copies in the States.. unique game that deserves it... (:

Xerxes

Xerxes said:

The offensive stereotypical hispanic character with maracas is so offensive.

Mowzle

Mowzle said:

I hoped to buy this today when I was in town. Game hadn't got it on the shelf, and unfortunately I had no time to get over to HMV. I'm off to Cornwall for a short spell soon. There is (or was last autumn) a great little independent game store in Truro. I'm hoping to find it there, otherwise I may need to resort to the internet retailers.

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

@James
I´ve seen worse. One finnish Playstation magazine gave Spyro the Dragon 87/100 and they had a lot of negative comments of that game. If you just read the review and not see the score, you´d think they gave it 70/100. But yeah, you´re right, 8/10 is closer to great than just OK.