3DS Virtual Console's First Third Party Games Get Rated

Posted by James Newton

ESRB ratings unearthed

The 3DS Virtual Console is only a matter of weeks away, and while we've known for some time that Nintendo's own Super Mario Land and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX are coming, no third party games for the Game Boy and Game Boy Color had been announced. Until now.

North American ratings bastion the ESRB has put out ratings for two Jaleco titles for Game Boy: Fortified Zone and Avenging Spirit, pegging both as E for Everyone.

Fortified Zone is a top-down shooter, whereas Avenging Spirit is a side-scrolling platform game with an ingenious twist: your spirit can leave the character's body and inhabit enemies, including giant robots, commandos and more. Imagine a cutesy 2D version of Geist, sort of.

We still have no official launch date for the 3DS eShop but as soon as it's announced, we'll bring it to you.

[via esrb.org]

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

Good thing the news about the 3DS shop finally start rolling in, though these first 3rd party VC games are hardly the best possible choices, I'd say...

FigetingPigeon

FigetingPigeon said:

Ye it's good to start hearing about the 3DS's virtual console, one of the main reasons I invested in a 3DS. These two games sound quite intresting from Jaleco, lets hope that they finally get this service up and running this month, cant wait for some Legend Of Zelda Links Awakning action.

James

James said:

@daznsaz You'll need to run the update yourself, but you'll receive a SpotPass notification to let you know it's available :)

thebluelight1

thebluelight1 said:

@daznsaz no, apparently Nintendo e-mail us when it's available to download or something.

You'd have thought there were better 3rd party games to launch a service on than those two...and Nintendo only offering two games is a bit poor, even though they are two good games.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Don't forget about the free Excitebike too. It seems like the 3DS VC wheel is finally turning, and soon we can get this exact release date soon!

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

oh right looking forward will be a lot better when i can play other games besides the ones i pay full wack for

SpicyDuck

SpicyDuck said:

I'm going to probably buy a $20 card then get all the 3DS eshop downloads at once... if I can :D

Link79

Link79 said:

Not sure I've heard of either one of these. Now if we could just get some kinda clue when the e shop will be launched. The waiting is driving me nuts.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

My wishlist so far is Super Mario Land, Columns, and now Fortified Zone. I've never played it but I will give it a try.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

This is exciting! I played Fortified Zone like crazy as a kid!! It has some of my all-time favorite GameBoy music--especially Stage 3 and the boss music.

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

Poor choices, but at least we're getting some confirmation that it's happening soon.

mizumaru

mizumaru said:

Well, it good to know about what will be released, but but what matters though is Nuintendos release strategy. If the do "THE SAME THING WITH THE CURRENT VC,(namaste[exhale]) things could get....annoying to say the least.

Crunc

Crunc said:

So basically a trickle of questionable choice games, likely no demos and probably never any sales. Or is there some indication that I've missed that Nintendo finally gets the download game market?

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

This is great news! Can't wait for the e-shop to arrive - that's when I'll get my 3DS.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

It's been so long since I've played SML I can hardly remember what it "feels" like, so I'll be sure to download it. But what I'm waiting on is the announcement of Metroid II... it's the only Metroid I haven't played all the way through yet. That Avenging Spirit "sounds" interesting... I'll keep an ear out for it. Odd how Jaleco is among the early 3rd parties to strike first blood in the 3DS VC...

SuperSpank

SuperSpank said:

...I just stick with Super Mario Land. Those two games sound like shovelware...(But i could be wrong)

Despair1087

Despair1087 said:

the one about the spirit sound really interesting. i know i'm going to have extra points if its so i might be an impulse buy for me :)

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@5,15 Who says these will be the only e-Shop launch titles? They're just the ones we know about so far. Wii's VC had about a dozen launch titles.

Dodger

Dodger said:

So far, I'll probably stick to Link's Adventure. Maybe Super Mario Land, but I'm sure other classic games will be released so I might save my cash for those.

JDesensitized

JDesensitized said:

Oh good, we're back to mocking games we've never played. VC part 2.

Reminds me of the week Streets Of Rage 2, Donkey Kong Country 2 and Blazing Lazers came out while people whined for the lousy Yoshi Story.

You guys are going to be disappointed in retro releases unless you broaden your tastes beyond "games Nintendo makes" as they simply didn't make enough games to fill out every freaking release week.

Shocker: These are actually good games. How about looking them up?

StuffyStuff

StuffyStuff said:

Fortified Zone won't be liked by everyone, but it's a good game for anyone who likes a challenge.

motang

motang said:

I haven't heard of these (probably cause I never owned a GameBoy) so I might check these out. I do hope more portables will be added like NGP (NeoGeo Pocket) Color, WonderSwan Color, etc.

realar

realar said:

Guys I've seen a playthrough of both and they are pretty decent, but I'm leaning toward Avenging Spirit more myself.

GreenInferno

GreenInferno said:

Fortified Zone is an excellent game title. It tells you everything you need to know while explaining nothing.