DS Has Outsold Xbox 360, PS3 and PSP Combined in Europe

Posted by James Newton

Prepare for big numbers

DS is Europe's undoubted sales champion, according to recent data from GameStop and technology research firm IDG. In fact, such is the console's success, its sales are more than triple any other non-Nintendo console on the market.

With an estimated 114m current generation consoles in homes around Europe, the Nintendo DS makes up 46m of these figures: that's around a 40% share. Next behind at 24.9m is the Wii, making up around 20% of the market, meaning a huge 60% of all consoles in homes across Europe bear the Nintendo logo.

Sony has sold 14.7m PlayStation 3 consoles and 14.8m PSP consoles which, even when combined with Microsoft's 13.7m Xbox 360 units, still isn't enough to topple the 46m DS consoles sold since 2005.

These figures were current as of December 2010, so naturally they will have increased slightly since, meaning even more money printed for Nintendo.

[via mcvuk.com]

belmont

belmont said:

Although it prints money of course this does't mean that DS has much bigger install base. Many have 3 or 4 DS but (of course) one PS3 or one 360. In my opinion there are more good games coming now on PSP than on DS because of the recent Square-Enix releases. I want a PAL release of Dragon Quest 6!

B4SDR4G there are more since DSi costs about 160 while XL costs about 180.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

This is definitelly gonna be a hard feat to beat for you, 3DS.

iAlias

iAlias said:

I was just waiting for you people to use that picture in a post!
I love the wizards of NintendoLife

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

i thought that was the sound of some rapper going on about howmuch cash hes got lol

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Hopefully 3DS will take off as well, it got outsold by the PSP in Japan on launch week! :(

Lotice-Paladin

Lotice-Paladin said:

Technically Nintendo still have to pay to get the parts for it and send them in various shops, so they aren't making 100% of that sale...but it'll still be high.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

It's safe to say with news like this that Nintendo is doomed and the Angry Birds era is about to begin... or something like that.

Be even more impressive though is game sales would improve, but pirating a problem big time over there.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

It's not really fair to compare portables to home consoles:
1 family=1 Xbox and/or PS3 but 1 DS per person.

You also have to factor in people upgrading. There have been 3 different DS models, and the newer ones offered significant advantages making upgrades worthwhile for many. That doesn't really happen with home consoles (no reason to buy a PS3 slim if you have a PS3). I guess this would lead to a larger second-hand market, but it's still something to consider.

Stine

Stine said:

At first I read the headline as "3DS Has Outsold Xbox 360, PS3 and PSP Combined in Europe", and I was like :O :O :O

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sakura_Moonlight2421 said:

@2 - Who care how much a piece of plastic costs as long as they continue to shell out good games. I'm happy with any price they throw at me.

CerealKiller062

CerealKiller062 said:

@12&2
I can almost completely guarantee you that the angry birds era will never come. The thing is that for every one legit copy of a download only game there will be ten others that were pirated. Then when your done you can pass it on. I really prefer the cheap peices of plastic.