Monster World IV Comes Westward, Finally

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

If the OFLC is to be believed

We've got almost every single Wonder Boy game ever made available on Virtual Console, including several double entries with different names. However, one game has been missing all this time. Monster World IV, the final game in the series, is frequently regarded to be the very best of them all and is, without a doubt, one of the best-looking Mega Drive games ever made. Unfortunately, it has also been Japan-exclusive forever, including on the Virtual Console. Until now.

The OFLC has rated a bunch of new things for Australia, and Monster World IV just so happens to be one of them. Of course, you shouldn't go completely wild with joy just yet: Sega has been rereleasing Mega Drive games on other platforms (Such as Steam) recently, so it could also very well be for one of those. On top of that, it would be the most text-heavy import yet; so much so, in fact, that it would almost ruin the experience to release it untranslated. However, as Sega was recently allowed to add online multiplayer to Puyo Puyo, perhaps Nintendo has softened up and now also allows translation where possible.

We've given it its own page on the site for now, but keep in mind that it is not 100% confirmed that it will indeed be a Virtual Console release. Regardless if it will or will not be, however, at least this classic will finally be released elsewhere in the world.

[via classification.gov.au]

y2josh

y2josh said:

HOLY CRAP :O I wanna play this. I don't remember ever hearing of this game, and yes I see that it was only in Japan before someone points that out :)

moosa

moosa said:

It wouldn't be the first time they ever translated anything for a VC import game... Just probably the first time to translate a whole game's dialog.

Objection

Objection said:

I would like to see this on VC. I'd be willing to pay extra points if its (mostly) properly translated,unlike most of the Import titles.

Link79

Link79 said:

Wonderboy is a series I became very fond of through the VC. I never knew of them until I bought them off the shop. Now they are among my favorites. I so hope we get this final game at some point. It would be a real pleasant surprise.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

If SEGA go to the trouble of translating the game maybe they could also make it available in 60Hz, because their other imports are not.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Oh God, YES!!! I hope that this game comes to the VC really soon. I've always wanted to play it.:)

Link79

Link79 said:

You gotta wonder. If the game is nearly unplayable without a translation then why the heck would they release it outside of Japan? Maybe they do plan to translate it. So far I think Sin and Punishment is the only VC game that's had a full translation. There's already been a fan translation of Monster world IV. Can't they just use that?

@ WarioFan63
Don't Jinx it man. I want this on VC so badly.

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

A Steam release could easily happen, but one sign that it may be for VC instead is that Steam has yet to receive a single import game, all MD games available (About 40) were released in the west.

Link79

Link79 said:

@ Drake.
That certainly sounds promising. It has been a while since we got any import games. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Is the game really so hard to figure out without a translation? Most of the basic instructions should be in the operations guide anyway right?

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

I haven't actually played it myself, but I know there's a section in the game where you have to answer trivia questions correctly, which would obviously be complete guesswork without a language you know.

Link79

Link79 said:

Yeah I see why that would make things difficult. Well anyway hope we eventually get the game. It's a crime it wasn't released outside of Japan in the first place.

Lotice-Paladin

Lotice-Paladin said:

This looks interesting...but it technically isn't a Wonder Boy title because:

1) The protagonist is a woman.
2) It seems to just be called Monster World 4.

I may get it one day,

accc

accc said:

I hope they translate it, there's no point playing it if they don't.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

@26: pie4prez - No, Wonder Boy in Monster World was released 4 years ago on the Wii Virtual Console. This here is a different game: It's "Wonder Girl". I hope for a translation. I have all 5 Wonder Boy games on the Wii and would be glad to try out this one.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Sega needs to put some "catch up" titles on the NA Virtual Console. Steam already has Flicky, Fatal Labyrinth, E-Swat, and Crack Down. Also dropping the VC prices on Genesis games would be nice. Most other services charge $3-5 for Genesis games not $8.00.

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

Oh my god, please, please, PLEASE be true! And come to the US, also, please! :)
Monster World IV actually came to the west before. In the US, there's this online store called Gametap. But before it became a generic Steam competitor, it was an online service where you could stream tons of retro games (as well as some exclusive original games, like Telltale's Sam & Max Season 1). Anyway, SEGA provided a ton of games for the thing, and one of the import titles was Monster World IV. Having never heard of it before, but seeing the charming anime art for the box, I gave it a whirl and found it to be one of the coolest games I've played for the Genesis.

If this comes out to the VC, I'll download it in a heartbeat. That's a promise, SEGA and Nintendo!
@Tony: That's Nintendo's fault. They managed the Virtual Console/Wiiware service, and they don't seem to give two craps about what anyone else does with their (much better managed) online stores. Don't hold that against Sega though.

brooks83

brooks83 said:

@Vinsanity - I remember when Gametap was a really cool service. I don't know what's on there now, but I remember they had several 32X games including Knuckles Chaotix and several Commodore 64 games.

dritske

dritske said:

Instant download for me. I've been a Wonder Boy fan since the first game. I still hope Westone will make another Wonder Boy installment. My favourite episode is still the Dragon's Trap on Master System.

ICEknight

ICEknight said:

Dibs on this being released untranslated and downgraded to 50Hz in Europe.

You know there's a 99% chance of it happening, and I don't see how a Japanese Virtual Console Arcade release with multiplayer could change SEGA of America/Europe's way of handling the VC Mega Drive releases.