Mario and Sonic Olympics was Yuji Naka's Idea, says Yuji Naka

Posted by James Newton

Idea pitched before he left Sega

The man behind Sonic the Hedgehog, Yuji Naka, had left Sega by the time Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games was underway, but Mr Naka has said that he came up with the concept before his departure.

Speaking to the audience at this year's Eurogamer Expo in London, Mr Naka said:

It was actually my idea, and I was the one who approached Nintendo about it. I thought it would be fascinating to see the two heroes play together or play against each other, so that was exactly what I wanted.

After fifteen years of rivalry between Sonic and Mario, it's interesting to learn the suggestion came from one of Sega's top men.

[via eurogamer.net]

Related Games

XD375

XD375 said:

Yuji Naka was Sega's Shigeru Miyamoto: an innovative designer surrounded by controversy. He always wanted to make a crossover game with Miyamoto...

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

If Sonic is really so fast, then how is it every other character in the game has an equal chance to be just as fast if not faster? I never understood that about those games. For the same reason I don't understand why Sonic needs a car.

XD375

XD375 said:

Sonic needed a car for the same reason you can't use Mewtwo in official Pokémon tournaments. XP

(...and because the gameplay would be horrid if they tried to incorporate someone on foot in a vehicle race.)

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

Once you look past the exterior, underneath Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games is another boring, repetitive minigame collection.

jackaroo

jackaroo said:

@LuWiiGi : I agree. I had alot of fun for the first few weeks and then it was just boring. The second game was far better I thought. I still find that fun today. It had alot more variety in both gameplay and controls where as the first was just waggle and run really lol.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

M&S at the Winter Olympics is INFINITELY superior to the first title, which I did not enjoy at all.

I'm not surprised the idea came from SEGA's side and not Nintendo's. As I recall, Sonic in Brawl was the same way.

Yosher

Yosher said:

I think both games were okay but the Winter olympics were definetely better than the first one. I think it'd be fun to actually see Mario & Sonic together in a game OTHER than olympic/other minigame stuff and Super Smash Brothers. Like, you know, an actual adventure. I can see an RPG with those two working quite well.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

I wonder who decided it should be a minigame-type game instead of a full-on platformer.

@Stuffgamer: I thought Nintendo looked at the most wanted third-party characters wanted in Smash Bros, and Sonic was at the top of the list.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@shantaego64: Welcome to NLife! Also, I love the avatar. Dededoll is the best!:D

@SilverBlacktail: Checks online You may just be right...it's SNAKE whose creator "practically begged" to be in the series. For some reason I'd thought they both were. I know that Inafune was under the impression that Nintendo would ask him if they wanted Mega Man in Brawl, but I still think he may have had better results if he "begged" like Kojima.;)

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Two platformer stars, one big adventure doing what they do best. I see NO point and toying around any further, we all KNOW what needs to happen.

JDesensitized

JDesensitized said:

Are we EVER getting that Sonic and Mario platformer? It's only what I've been waiting for since the early 90s.

mjc0961

mjc0961 said:

Why... Why admit to that? "See that horrible game right there...? That was my idea."

I would have just kept my mouth shut about it.

YoshiSage

YoshiSage said:

@mjc0961: I really don't appreciate you shoving words down everyone's mouths. Not EVERYONE thought it was bad. I liked it.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

The problem with combining Sonic and Mario in the same platformer is that Sonic's gameplay style, even in the Genesis games, (and of course pure speed) is so much faster, it would be like Sonic 2 coop but worse. An RPG might work, though, especially since they've both already starred in an RPG (Super Mario RPG, Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood).

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@YoshiSage: He is a bit (to put it lightly) opinionated, but he's not a bad guy, really. A shame that fact doesn't come off more often in his posts on NLife and Movemodo.

@Bulbasaurus Rex: If they did something like that, I'd totally buy it. Hopefully, it'd be developed by someone OTHER than BioWare, though (not a fan).

Actually, I'm still on board for the idea of a Smash Bros. RPG. It'd be SOOOOOOOO awesome!:D