Capcom Bringing Titles to Japanese Virtual Console Arcade

Posted by Zach Kaplan

Come on, we like Ghouls 'N Ghosts too...

Capcom announced on Friday that it plans to begin expanding Japan's catalogue of Virtual Console Arcade titles this summer with some of its own. They'll start with SonSon, a 1984 sidescroller loosely based on the Chinese fable Journey to the West.

If you enjoy playing classic games on your Wii, it seems that Japan's your ideal location. Publishers have released five hundred and sixty nine titles there in comparison to North America's three hundred and fifty nine, Europe's three hundred and forty six and Australia's three hundred and twenty seven.

Still, that doesn't mean that the rest of the world should give up hope that Capcom will release these elsewhere, especially given how popular many of them became internationally. Hey, they gave us Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars, so anything could happen! For now, keep your fingers crossed and your browsers tuned to Nintendo Life for all future updates regarding these titles.

[via uk.wii.ign.com, gameguru.in]

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

Here's hoping they actually support VCA outside of Japan unlike a certain company who forgot about everyone but Japan.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

SonSon doesn't interest me much. I have it on a Capcom collection and I find it pretty dated and not much fun for me. Although I won't say it is a bad game, its just not one I enjoy playing.

iAlias

iAlias said:

Bring 'em HERE, Nintendo and gang! I need more retro goodness! Down with WiiWare! Up with VC!

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

I never knew SonSon was based on a fable. I have, however, known that it was one of Capcom's very first games, along with 1942 and Vulgus.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I played SonSon on the collection, and found it an interesting piece of gaming history which I probably would have cared much less about were it not for the character's appearance in Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. I certainly wouldn't pay to download JUST it for a minimum of $5.

What are those counts in the second paragraph, anyway? They don't really make any sense to me...

Zach

Zach said:

@Stuffgamer1 Sorry for confusing wording. They are the numbers of virtual console titles available in each location, Japan, NA, Europe and Australia.

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

The numbers still don't make any sense or are they supposed to be the amount of games released just this year?

Zach

Zach said:

Sorry everyone, thanks for the correction. We accidentally posted the number of Famicom/NES titles rather than the total somehow. We do apologize for the confusion.

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

i know that some the of the stuff on the japanese VC was never released outside the country. but still, there`s no excuse with games that were.
still, to see that japan have 200 plus games more than the rest of the world is a little disheartening to read for fans of the VC.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@zkaplan: Ahh, the fixed numbers make MUCH more sense! Though I am very sad to see just how many more games Japan has. There's a market for a lot of those games out West, even the ones that never released here before. If they'd just allow translation on import titles, I'm sure companies could make money on them. And even if not, there are dozens of games that WERE released here but haven't come to VC.:(

StuffyStuff

StuffyStuff said:

What are the limits for these games? So far the games that are on the VCA seem very limited compared to other arcade titles. I'd like to see Alien vs Predator!

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

"Come on, we like Ghouls 'N Ghosts too..."

Well, I HATE GnG, personally. The Maximo games were good though, and I know they're related. At any rate, it doesn't matter - I would just like to see more Capcom games on the VC and VCA in general :D Particularly Demon's Crest. But at this rate, I don't imagine an EXPLOSION of new titles until the next Nintendo home console and all new people just completely rediscover the service. Hopefully by then, Nintendo will learn to advertise this awesome service.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

@StuffyStuff: Well, Namco's arcade offerings in Japan run right through the 90s, so I'd say the only thing stopping something like AvP from showing up would be licensing and company interest in publishing it.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

There's a number of Capcom games I'm keen to see and it would be nice if Sega picked up the pace or Hamster treated us to more old Universal games. Namco really needs a 3rd wave as well - where's Pac-Man??!!??

It's pretty sad that the Arcade platform is so underrepresented elsewhere. In Japan it's the fifth largest platform after the Famicom, PC Engine, Super Famicom and Mega Drive!

Ratengo

Ratengo said:

@Sean: The Mega Drive (90 titles) comes before Super Famicom (76 titles) in that ranking order. The Arcade with its 66 titles is not too far behind. ;)