Podcast: NLFM Episode 3: BIT.TRIP Down Memory Lane

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Alex Neuse of Gaijin Games talks influences, music game design and the future of Commander Video

Welcome to another jolly good episode of NLFM, the chip and game music podcast from Nintendo Life. We're joined in this double-length episode by special guest Alex Neuse of Gaijin Games, who has schlepped along a crate of his favorite chip/game music tunes and also spills a few beans on the next entry in their WiiWare BIT.TRIP series.

While NLFM generally focuses on music from games playable on Nintendo consoles and handhelds, which, thanks to the Virtual Console, also includes the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive and Master System, Turbografx-16, Neo Geo and Commodore 64, this episode broadens the horizons a little bit to include a few Non-tendo tunes.

But they're really great, we swear!

1. Masafumi Takada — Pleather For Breakfast (No More Heroes, Wii)
2. Adam Freeland — Fear (Rez, Dreamcast/PS2/XBLA)
3. Gaijin Games — Descent (BIT.TRIP BEAT, WiiWare)
4. Capcom — Dr. Wily Stage 1 (Mega Man 2, NES)
5. Sunsoft — Area 6 (Blaster Master, NES)
6. Bit Shifter — Hexadecimal Genome
7. Mesu Kasumai — I-75
8. Nullsleep — Supernova Kiss
9. iNiS/COIL — Boogie for an Afternoon (Gitaroo Man, PS2)
10. Masaya Matsuura — Baby Baby!! (Um Jammer Lammy, PSX)
11. Akira Yamaoka & Mary Elizabeth McGlynn — Always On My Mind (Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Wii/PS2/PSP)

Get the Flash Player to see this player.

To avoid the gnashing of teeth that comes with missing podcast episodes, subscribe to our Podcast feed (using iTunes) or download it using this direct link. You can also find us on iTunes, so show the podcasts some love as there is plenty more good stuff lined up for the future.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I actually have a picture of me standing on the landfill in Alamagordo, NM where the ET games are buried. I even got to talk to a city supervisor who was there when the trucks came through. It's a shame they wouldn't let me dig for games that day, but I don't think I could have gotten through the concrete anyway. :D

pixelman

pixelman said:

I loved the Mega Man portion. Also, I'm reeeeeeally interested in Bit.Trip: RUNNER. Can't wait to see the trailer on it!

vakama94

vakama94 said:

OMG they mentioned the CORE soundtrack! i hope they release it soon, i want to listen to control all day :D

James

James said:

Awesome work putting something from the Rez soundtrack on there. Fantastic show Jon, keep these comin'!

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Baaaaad-asssssssss! Nice stuff, glad to hear some Blaster Master in there. UCSC alumnus in the house here booooooy!

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

While we're letting Playstation soundtracks in on the fun, could we hear some Rayman sounds? :) Thanks for all the variety, by the way: I love the chiptune tracks (Bit Shifter's song reminds me of the icy day stage in Sonic Unleashed, which was great too) but it was interesting to listen to the ones from Rez and Gitaroo Man, which I have only scant knowledge of.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

"Didn't want to make it too difficult and they put it down too quickly" (typed from memory; you get the point).
Failure.
I couldn't get through level 2 of Beat, and haven't bought another entry in the series. Which really sucks, because it was a cool game that was simply RUINED by being too hard. For me, anyway.:|

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I haven't gotten throught the 2nd level of BEAT either, but it doesn't ruin it for me, I can still enjoy what I'm playing which is aided by the music being so great. Play a lot of old 2600 games, some of them were just as hard only you'd have paid quadruple the price! Just because you can't "beat" it, doesn't mean it can't be fun!

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Uhh...I'm no Atari fan either, Sean. I'd hoped the Wii motion controls and music would make Bit.Trip.Beat worth playing anyway, but the difficultly well and truly killed it for me.

For "can't beat it but it's fun," I play Clu Clu Land or Root Beer Tapper. Not much else of that type of game interests me, really.