Feature: For Your Consideration - Little King's Story

Posted by James Newton

Why Corobo deserves your vote

As part of our Game of the Year Awards, Nintendo Life is inviting you to choose one game as your Reader’s Game of the Year. You can vote for anything released on a Nintendo platform in 2009, be it WiiWare, DSiWare, Wii or DS, but you only get one vote, so use it wisely!

To remind you of some of the stellar titles we’ve seen in 2009, we’ll be writing a series of articles recommending some games that you may have forgotten about in the traditional Christmas rush. Here, James Newton (who else?) returns to Alpoko to put forward Little King’s Story for your consideration.

One of the highest-rated Wii games of the year, Little King's Story combines the best aspects of Pikmin and Harvest Moon into a real-time strategy game where you command troops into battle against giant mushrooms, dragons and enormous pinball gourmands. The ultimate aim is to lead the kingdom of Alpoko from a humble little shack with some layabout citizens into the greatest and largest kingdom the world has ever known. What this boils down to, as the game doesn’t mind pointing out from time to time, is a huge amount of genocide.

It’s very rare for a game to walk the line between childish and adult, but Little King’s Story does so brilliantly, peppering its storybook graphics and tales of dragon-slaying with taxes, unemployment and funerals. You can play as conscionably as you like – let your citizens roam free and keep them happy or turn them all into mega carpenters and treasure hunters and work them to an early death. Usually if one of your citizens dies in battle they’re resurrected, but the first time you play and one doesn’t return is a gaming moment that sticks with you for a long time. It’s never truly revealed why your right-hand man Howser hates the Onii so much, but then in how many games do you ever really care why you’re being asked to obliterate enemies? The fact that a game inspired by classical children’s literature – producer Yoshirou Kimura was influenced by The Little Prince – can raise questions about mortality and ethnic cleansing is a testament to not only the game’s development team but the fantastic translation work done to bring it to the Western world.

Little King’s Story isn’t all funerals and racism, though: it’s a wonderfully imaginative game, with rival monarchs ranging from the ever-inebriated Duvroc to the mess of glue-and-pencils Jumbo Champloon. Whilst uniting – read: dominating – the world you won’t come across the stereotypical ice world, the lava world and so on: instead there’s a kingdom of cakes and sweets, an island of deadly household implements and a land where the inhabitants always party. It’s a tired cliché that there’s always something new to see, but Alpoko becomes a land of constant surprises throughout the game.

And what a big game it is too. A single streamlined playthrough would probably take no more than twenty hours, but that would miss out the reams and reams of sidequests – collecting the paintings, obtaining all the special items, finding the Wonder Spots, recipes, songs and completing the requests of your villagers as left in your suggestion box. The feeling of waking up (to Peer Gynt’s “Morning”, of course) to tackle each new day is as addictive as Harvest Moon, only with a lot more killing.

With a brilliant soundtrack comprising new compositions as well as famous classical pieces, a fantastic script touching on everything from God to noodles and some hugely creative and imaginative design there’s really very, very little to rival Little King’s Story. Our only regret is depriving it of a much-deserved 10/10 rating in our review, but rest assured – Little King’s Story is every bit as enjoyable as any game on the system, with a huge heart and production values to match. If you haven’t bought it yet, you owe it yourself and your Wii to try it out. If you do own it already, go back and play it again: Alpoko has missed you.

If you think Little King's Story deserves your vote as Game of the Year, make sure we know about it! Use the Contact Us form, message it to us on Twitter or leave a voicemail on our Skype line at the username NintendoLife. We'll have more games lined up for your consideration in the near future, so keep coming back to see which games we think deserve your vote as Nintendo Life Reader's Game of the Year!

nintendogamerftw

nintendogamerftw said:

I'm not sure what game I'm going to pick. I'll have to do some thinking about which one deserves first place. :)

edhe

edhe said:

9/10 from me. Us Europeans, we were denied the awesome super hard difficulty the North Americans got.

Still great fun though.

vherub

vherub said:

I usually sell or trade games after I beat then, not this one. It's a gem.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

nice try, James, but New Super Mario Bros. Wii is just too awesome

Trevor_Fox

Trevor_Fox said:

This really was a great game. =) People should definitely check it out if they haven't. I hope that this game will have legs.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Hey Prosody, am I allowed to vote for Little King's Story multiple times?;) Great article by the way!

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@WRH: Prosody's already planning to multiply all the votes for LKS by 5 once they're all in and tallied, just to ensure it wins by a landslide ;)

jkgatling

jkgatling said:

havent gotten around to play this one so I wont vote for it... NSMBW will probably get my vote... Probably

Terra

Terra said:

My vote was neither wise, nor one (:P). I've played very few games that were releases this year for a Nintendo platform and most of them were DSiWare. I'm not gonna vote for a game I haven't played

megaboomface2

megaboomface2 said:

wow this is like the obama and mc-somthing you know who will win just cause people love makes me wanna buy this but first final fantasy for ds [yes i mean all the games]

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Vote for Mario, or I will annoy you for the rest of your life :P

Nah, JK....or am I? ;)

vonboysp

vonboysp said:

little king's sotry is amazing, but i just can't, sorry little king.

i don't think you could expect anything to be put up against the first real 2-d console mario game in like 2 decades. it gets honorable mention from me, though.

motang

motang said:

I still need to play this game, it's just sitting there...well why Wii and PS2 both are just sitting there as I have been way too busy because of school. :(

greyelephant

greyelephant said:

This game is just about as beautiful as they come on any system during any era of video gaming. Just a magnificent piece of work. LKS is easily 1 of my top 3 games on the Wii.

Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee said:

I would probably say it's the best third party game on Wii. It has that old skool Zelda kind of magic to it.

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

Whenever I see Little King;s Story, Prosody always comes to mind.

(And I made my GOTY nominations so sorry, no contention :p)

James

James said:

@V8 Ninja - Not every game up for voting - that would be every single game released in 2009! - but certainly some other titles in the coming days and weeks. Some are obvious, others less so :)

Stevie

Stevie said:

@edhe - Did you not find the game difficult enough, I played through in easy and it was a challenge.

LKS has my vote, as much as I love NSMB this game is just so original and engrossing that it had to get my vote.

I hope the vote doesn't need to be rigged but if so you know what to do James ;)

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I played this game to death and have actually given it to my Mrs' nephews. I have very fond memories of this game.

Machu

Machu said:

I love you James. That was a great read, thanks. :)

Vote for Little Kings Story Now!!! <3

James

James said:

Metroid Prime Trilogy was released in 2009, so it's certainly an option :)

FantasiaWHT

FantasiaWHT said:

Not going to vote for it. Controls were terrible. Plus, even though I'm only a lukewarm Christian, I found the priest to be incredibly offensive.

Roo

Roo said:

I wanted to like this game so much, but it is very hard to ignore the imprecise controls and frustrating camera that you're lumped with throughout the game. Yes, LKS is imaginative, and it's exciting...but moreso than anything else, it's deeply annoying.

James

James said:

Still the best game I played on Wii last year. I suppose that's not going to change now it's 2010, though.