Mario Moneybox Wants Your Coins, UK Readers!

Posted by James Newton

New Super Mario Bros. Wii special edition tin revealed

Nintendo are really ramping-up the promotion for what they undoubtedly see as the must-have Wii game for Christmas, New Super Mario Bros. Wii. In fact, they're going further than usual, announcing a limited edition version of the game available from UK retailers.

Of course, it seems hardly a week goes by without a special edition game being released on other formats, but usually they only have a steel case or art book to mark them out above the regular edition. Well, Nintendo are doing things differently by bundling New Super Mario Bros. Wii with a branded money box for you to drop all your hard-earned coins in.

At the moment the limited edition is listed at UK retailers GAME and GameStation, with no sight of it on Amazon or Play, so it may not be available to preorder on the continent yet. If that changes, we'll of course let you know.

[via gamestation.co.uk]

Nathan

Nathan said:

But one day, the world will go completely cashless, in the tangible sense anyway.. So the tin will just be a holding container for collectors of such currency.

jangonov

jangonov said:

@nathan lol I've thought that would happen and after working retail, I know itll be true one day. I never have to give change.
Still it would be nice to see that come to america. Heck Id shell out extra money for it

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

I read Mario Moneybox as saying Peter Monolux the first time :(

The thing I'm not so sure about this limited edition. It costs £15 more and all you get a is a tin. At least it is better than a pair of night vision goggles or a helmet but it wouldn't kill them to throw in a T-Shirt or at least something to make it feel like it is good value.

Machu

Machu said:

YES! I was distraught when there was no tin for the PAL MPT, but this more than makes up for it, wahoo.

What, hang on, it's costs more?!?! checks...

EDIT: Fifty ****in' quid! You're having a laugh aren't you. :(

taffy

taffy said:

It's nice to see Nintendo do this sort of thing now. Hopefully we'll see them give SMG2, Met:OM and the new Zelda the same treatment.

Incognito_D

Incognito_D said:

£15 for a money-box? No thanks. Had it been a free pre-order bonus I would have been all over it. A bit of a shame

AVahne

AVahne said:

holy crap, another tin?hope this comes over to the states. Nintendo seems to be doing more and more special editions lately.and i thought the red case was nice....

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

@Machu:
Nope. Which, I admit, keeps me from complaining about it most of the time. :P But, hey, you're also getting some kind of coin-bank or something so...

Yeah, I don't know. Sounds like kind of a ripoff to this ol' bird.

James

James said:

Zut alors.

Objection

Objection said:

15 pounds/euros? Geez, I think that kind of kills any interest most people will have in this...

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Maybe they'll just release it retail in a tin case here in N.A. like they did with MEtroid trilogy. I would love to have Mario Galaxy II in a tin case as well :D

taffy

taffy said:

Quick update guys, you can order from GAME and they will deliver outside UK. It has an additional cost for delivery though and the cost varies from certain areas, Australian delivery is more than European for example

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Wow...those things cost like $2 dollars, if that. Anytime I've seen one, someone got it for free as a tchotchke from a conference or something. Lame! Feel free to not come to the States in any form other than a free preorder bonus.

bestbuck

bestbuck said:

I live in Ireland so we'll probably get it here as well. I'll have one of them thanks very much.

mjc0961

mjc0961 said:

Another worthless bonus that isn't worth the extra $20-$30 they want for it.

Also, big lol at #1. Cashless? Never going to happen.

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

GAME and Gamestation are now the same company, so I'd guess this is a GAME exclusive, and it's unlikely to hit other UK sellers. I wouldn't be surprised to see it turn up at Gamestop in the US though.