A Boy and His Blob Transforms into Video Footage!

Posted by James Newton

The first trailer is online now, and it looks rather tasty...

We're big fans of A Boy and His Blob here at Nintendo Life - in fact, you may remember a recent podcast featured an exclusive interview with creators WayForward! - so we were very excited to see the first trailer metamorphasise into view.

As you can see, the game's 2D animation is absolutely stunning, and it looks like WayForward are cramming some very imaginative and unexpected transformations into the title. We'll have more A Boy and His Blob news and a full review as the title's October release date approaches ever swifter.

Terra

Terra said:

This looks so amazing, I want it badly. That trailer though, it reminded me of E.T.

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

The original game may be the epitome of obscurely laid-out NES titles and certainly gets no love from me, but I really have to admire what WayForward is trying to do here to give the nostalgia and characters a new lease on life. The fresh animation and hand-drawn design of the game is stunning, the gameplay looks terrific, and it just feels like it's going to mesh this time around. The levels look to be of good, varied challenge and I love the design of having to solve each in the form of a platformer-puzzler with a lot of varied gameplay mechanics using the blob not just for climbing and jumping but offense and defense purposes.

The NES original had the right idea but was developed incredibly poorly and padded by utterly absurd and vague design. This reboot looks like a breath of fresh air and proof that even those games which we do not remember fondly can be given new life under the proper development hands. It is also further proof that a game does not have to push billions of pixels to be soulful and gorgeous from a visual standpoint. WayForward seems to have put a lot of heart into every aspect of this game and I can't wait to play it in just over a month.

rhythmheavenfan

rhythmheavenfan said:

I have been excited for this game ever since it was announced. It is great to finally get some video of it and I'm not disappointed. Looks like it could be a contender for best Wii game of the year in my opinion. I love puzzle platformers and this one looks exceptional.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

This game looks awesome. I cant wait to give this a try. Hopefully it provides a good challenge as well! And as Jockolantern said, it's good to see some franchises get another chance! Mmm, I feel like jelly beans!

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Watching this trailer, if they made this into a movie, with this animation, I'd definitely watch it first day

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

The stills looked amazing, but clearly didn't to the game in action justice! This looks incredible!

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

yeah. this looks great! yet another title to add to my ever-growing list of eventual must buys... i wonder if my gamestop has a job opening...

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

hoooooooooly crap.

How does this look better than Warioland: Shake It! and Super Paper Mario despite Wiiware restrictions? Wayforward man....THE company. Period.

Crazed

Crazed said:

Wow, Wayforward has done it again. This looks very well done, and I (having never played the original) am excited to try this game out. I wonder if the original will ever come to VC.

Croz

Croz said:

Can't wait for this, going to be awesome! just watched the video on the updated internet channel wooo!

Machu

Machu said:

I don't know how many times I've watched that trailer today, but it's a few. Both the cut-scenes and the gameplay look gorgeous, it's just sooo cute! hugs blob

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

you know... the blob is older... actually has a purpose... came and found the kid... shouldn't this be "A Blob and His Boy"???

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

No points for the cheesy narrating voice, but this game has me sold. The graphics look relaxing to the eyes, and the music makes it seem like an epic piece. Hmmm, maybe I'll buy it when it comes to the Wii. Or I can order the NES original from eBay someday. I know, I'll do both, if necessary. ;) 'Cause I am interested. :)

jbrodack

jbrodack said:

Trailer looked really cool except for the cheesy narration that seems tailored to very young audiences. Everything was really cool especially the actual gameplay but the cinemas looked cool as well. Just looks fun and well made. Plus very cute, but in a ways that not annoying.

blasterof80

blasterof80 said:

YAY!!!!!

This is awesome!

Disney should make a movie and hire these guys to animate it!

YAYAYAY!