Could a New Rocket Knight Adventures Game Be On The Way?

Posted by Christopher Clark

German magazine hints at the return of Konami's classic 16-bit platformer series.

An article from German magazine M! Games reports that a new installment in Konami's Rocket Knight Adventures series of platformers from the early 1990's may be in the works.

The story (which can be found here for those fluent in German) reports that the game is being developed by Climax Studios, the studio responsible for the upcoming Silent Hill: Shattered Memories game on Wii, and will feature 3D graphics and 2D gameplay a la New Super Mario Bros.. The article makes no mention of any specific platforms, but considering Konami's recent "ReBirthing" of Gradius and now Contra on the WiiWare servive it may very well end up being a downloadable title.

The last Rocket Knight Adventures game was released way back in 1994 as Sparkster for the Sega Megadrive and Super Nintendo. Konami haven't exactly forgotten about the franchise since - Sparkster himself has made all manner of cameos in later Konami games, most recently racing against Simon Belmont and Pyramid Head in New International Track and Field for the Nintendo DS - but of all the 1990's anthropomorphic platformer mascots that deserve another shot, Sparkster tops the list. At the very least, release the original games on the Virtual Console, Konami!

For more coverage on all things overflowing with early-90's 'tude, stay tuned to Nintendo Life!

[via maniac.de]

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I'd love to see a new Rocket Knight Adventures game. Bring it on!

madgear

madgear said:

I love Rocket Knight Adventures - it has such charm! I wasn't such a fan of the sequel, Sparkster, though. He definately needs to return in a new game AND to appear on the Virtual Console.

I'd rather the new game was a disc based release, though.

Moai_Head

Moai_Head said:

@madgear - which Sparkster did you play? The Megadrive and SNES games shared the same name but were totally different games.

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

Sparkster ReBirth is a genius idea! Can't wait to see if it's true (which I bet it is) and when they plan to release it.

madgear

madgear said:

SNES actually - it wasn't mine, though. Think it was a rental or I borrowed it. I didn't know they were different - going to check out the Megadrive version now on an emulator then.

I just didn't think Sparkster had that same charm RKA had. It took away some of the cuteness, levels weren't as inventive and I just thought it was poorer visually.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I never played Rocket Knight Adventures. I do hope that it comes to the VC one day so I can see what all the buzz is about.:)

Terra

Terra said:

This is certainly a nice surprise. Come on Konami, make it happen.

RadioShadow

RadioShadow said:

Konami are knowing how to make old school happen. [nudges and hints at Sega and Nintendo]

Rocket Knight Adventures Rebirth will be sweet!

Suikon

Suikon said:

Awesome. I played the SNES Sparkster as a kid and had loads of fun. ^^ Hope a new one is made, I'd look forward to it.

Knux

Knux said:

Never heard of Rocket Knight Adventures. Are the games in the series good?

Knux

Knux said:

@xesbeth
Well then,I must put this series on my must buy list. I'll buy it if it comes on WiiWare or the Virtual Console.

SonicMaster

SonicMaster said:

since I haven't been around as long as y'all-yes, I'm from the south- I don't know what it's like. Sounds cool, though

Popyman

Popyman said:

Wow, Sparkster is a cool little dude! I'm surprised I haven't heard of this series before...

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

Nice. If this rumor is true, I will be picking it up. But first, release Sparkster for the SNES on the Virtual Console.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I bought Rocket Knight Adventure on the Genesis at a local game geek store (Power Gamer, if anybody's familiar with it...small chain in Maryland) for four bucks. I haven't actually played it very much, but it did seem like a cool game. I'll have to go back to that sometime.

If this new game truly IS coming, I'm pretty sure Konami will make sure to get previous titles on VC. Only question is: Since the SNES and Genesis versions of Sparkster are different games, might we actually get both even though they share a title? We could always hope, but I try to discourage that around here for obvious reasons. :P

BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat said:

I'd settle for the Genesis version of Sparkster right now, but a new game would be awesome too if they don't screw it up.

Crazed

Crazed said:

I've never even heard of Sparkster or Rocket Knight Adventures before, but I would love to try it, disc or download. Also, all for Rocket Knight Adventures on VC. Is there a retro review of the game?

Kirk

Kirk said:

I would love to see a well done 2.5D update to this classic.

Mind you I would love to see well done 2.5D updates to every classic from the 16bit era, and there are a lot of them.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I played Rocket Knight Adventure last night. It was pretty good, but I got really mad when I got a Game Over on Stage 4, and that was on EASY MODE! I didn't want to have to resort to Children mode to beat the game. Konami did MUCH better work than this in that period (see: Buster Busts Loose). That said, I'm sure a new game on DS would have smarter, more modern design and be really cool.