ColorZ - New WiiWare Puzzler

Posted by Darren Calvert

We recently came across ESRB and USK ratings for a new WiiWare game simply entitled Colorz by French developers Exkee so we contacted them to find out a little more about their game.

Aside from the screenshot below, here’s what they had to tell us:

ColorZ is an original Action/Puzzle that brings a totally new experience of gameplay thanks to Wii Capacities.

The game takes place in an alternative world full of round and colorful elements but a terrible event disturbed all the citizen; a new virus polluted the universe and created thousands of Microbes. You must drive your UFO friends in order to clean all the different planets.

The core concept is based on common light color addition and yet to be seen multiple entities management.

Untitled

The screenshot above illustrates the solo mode in the game. You control two UFOs (red & green), one with Wii Remote’s pointer and the other one using the Nunchuk. The red UFO can eat red microbes and the green UFO can eat green Microbes. Be careful not to mismatch the colors or you will lose a life!

Exkee told us that Colorz is in the final stages of testing, so it is likely to be released in the next few months. WiiWare isn’t exactly short of puzzlers, but this one looks like it is trying something original at least – will this be one you will keep a watchful eye on, or avoid?

Ian_Daemon

Ian_Daemon said:

Doesn't look too bad... I wonder how fast people will use two human players in solo mode.

accc

accc said:

I'm wary of games with 'Z' in the title where an 's' should be but this does look promising. That screenshot reminds me a little of Kuru Kuru Kururin.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

At first, I must say that I immediately judged this as shovelware, but on closer inspection of the screenshot, I'd like to see what it has to offer.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

I'm with you, Wiiloveit. It certainly seems to have potential...I worry that the double-control-scheme will be too much trouble for its own good, but then again I thought the tilting control of Bit Trip would be a nightmare, too.

I was glad to be proven wrong with Bit Trip, and I'll be glad to (hopefully) be proven wrong with this, too. :)

PS--I'm getting Tetris Party by this weekend, so let me know if you start up your tournaments again!

Crazed

Crazed said:

An interview with Exkee would be fantastic. That is, if anyone on the staff knows french...

Rockbandmonkey

Rockbandmonkey said:

Could be the game for me, all I want is it to be challenging. WiiWare has got its fair share of puzzlers yes, but not too many are as challenging as I'd want them to be.

touffeboy

touffeboy said:

^^ i Speak french crazed, but i'm not in the staff....

The game looks good, really new concept!

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

This looks interesting. I'll have to keep an eye on this one.

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

Well the devs are French, so they would say 'les couleurs' so us Brits can let them off. With the Z it's not spelt correctly for anyone! lol

accc

accc said:

There was already a game called "Colors" for the ill-fated Gizmondo handheld, haha.

calculon

calculon said:

@anthonyb: I was going to point that out. But hey, I'm British and never complain about anything :D Besides 'les couleurs' sounds a little effeminate for the macho blood-thirsty type that is looking for a game like this to ... oh wait.

Maybe I'll check out the review for this one. Outside of that, I have no interest in something that sounds more complicated than necessary and is wrapped in the most unbelievably crap story to add some cuddliness to the perceived game play.

Quite frankly the description of this game makes me want to vomit in terror to an extent not seen since HVS decided on a colour (that'd be 'color' to avoid confusion for some French developers) palette for one of its games.

Best of luck to Exkee.

MuljoStpho

MuljoStpho said:

It's ColorZ (Color Z), not Colorz (Colors). At least, that's how I'm reading it.
/agreed on being wary of the z
//also agreed that this one looks interesting so far

Objection

Objection said:

Another puzzler! But this one looks different enough that it may be worth a look. It sounds like it could suffer from "rub your tummy pat your head" though.

fixjuxa

fixjuxa said:

darkmagi_82

darkmagi_82 said:

This one looks like it could either be awesome or tank hard. Considering the Z at the end, though, the latter seems a little more plausible. :P

The Incredible MaZe: 2/10
BoingZ: 3/10

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I'm definitely interested to hear more, but a thought for the devs: red and green colourblindness is the most common form is it not? Isn't that going to make it impossible to play for a segment of the population?

calculon

calculon said:

Notch one up for Sean Aaron. Sadly, colour blindness is a major problem for many puzzle-type games and too few devs take any sort of notice. Maybe exkee will include some colour-blindness features into their game.

Then again, the chances are just as likely as the idea of the devs behind Mozilla Firefox implementing the facility to automatically download British English dictionaries during the installation of their browser rather than rely on me being bothered to correct a major oversight at a later period in time. Hence, pretty slim.

-TR

-TR said:

Bad name. Could we be headed for a clichéd 'Great Game'?

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

When I first saw this, the first thing that came to mind was PLATTCHEN and for that very reason I'll be keeping my eye on this.

Watch it appear by surprise in the next update. XD

Crazed

Crazed said:

@Sean Aaron & Calculon- Hopefully Exkee will realize this and fix the problem. It would be sad that a color puzzle/action would be left on the wayside just because of a bad color combination, no matter how good/bad it is.

@touffeboy- Very cool (even if you aren't on the staff.)

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

"21. fixjuxa: Good luck playing this one by yourself. Anybody ever try controlling two characters at once while playing a shmup? It's damn near impossible."

I've had a blast playing Wii Play's Target Shoot and Pop with two Wiimotes! To avoid confusion and cross interference between the neural connections on the left and right halves of my brain and central nervous system, I generally keep my right Wiimote in the right half of the screen and the left Wiimote in the left half. It is an insane mental workout for sure. I am somewhat ambidextrous when playing "point-and-shoot" type Wii games (and classic NES Zapper games, also), so what usually happens is that the combined total scores for both players is usually only slightly higher than my solo score. Also, try playing Laser Hockey on Wii Play against yourself; you will get good really quick that way!

Then again, there's nothing shooting back at me in Pop or Target Shoot, so I'm guessing that scrolling shooters and FPS are an entirely different beast altogether.