World of Goo To Hit WiiWare In October?

Posted by Corbie Dillard

Woot!

World of Goo has been one of the most heavily-anticipated WiiWare titles since it was first announced. 2-D Boy has just released a news item on their official web site stating that the PC version of the game has just gone gold and will likely see a release during the first week of November. What's great about this news is that they have also said that the WiiWare version will likely be available even sooner than the PC release, meaning we will likely see the WiiWare version sometime in October. Here's a portion of the news release from their web site:

World of Goo has gone gold! I can hardly believe it, but we just submitted a PC gold master to our North American retail partner. Keep an eye out for this box around the first week of November. The WiiWare and online releases will likely happen sooner… stay tuned!

We’re putting the final touches on the WiiWare version and expect to submit it to Nintendo for approval this month.

It would seem that the WiiWare release of World of Goo isn't as far off as we originally thought. This is good news for gamers who are anxiously awaiting this highly-anticipated title.

As usual, we'll have more information on World of Goo as it becomes available. And don't forget to check WiiWare World's exclusive interview with World of Goo creator 2-D Boy.

Source: 2-D Boy

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Well I do like Goo.

Added: Maybe fuzzy, but not gooey.
Gooey is how I feel when I have a really bad cold...

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Makes you feel all warm and gooey inside, doesn't it? :P

Sorry, I couldn't resist it.

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

Well this game was one of my highly anticipated WiiWare games, but right now so many other WiiWare games took that spot. I'll get this one eventually, but for now, no thanks. :

Ark

Ark said:

No! Corbie is making me hungry for cookies!>.<

This is pretty good news. I'm keeping an eye on World of Goo but I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to get it. That's what I have WiiWare World for. :P

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

Between this and Mega Man 9, the next month or so is looking pretty solid for WiiWare. I can't wait to get my hands on this, sorry my European brethren, you should have imported a Wii like me! :-p

Objection

Objection said:

September and October are gonna be awesome Wiiware months...at least, they should be. Y'know...if everything goes according to plan...

Tides_of_Chaos

Tides_of_Chaos said:

Hopefully we will get this on time and Nintendo won't delay it for some un-interesting, cheaply made game that's for a market already overcrowded enough (like puzzlers.....although we've been pretty lucky with the quality of them so far)

calculon

calculon said:

I'll pass on this, MM9, Gradius and Strong Bad Ep2. Guess everyone's got a different opinion on what makes a great month.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

@ Stratos- He wants Butterfly Garden and Home Sweet Home. :P

I agree about Strong Bad though. I don't plan on downloading any of his episodes...

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@Super Sonic

I want it. It's been my #1 on my "Most anticipated Wiiware games" since I first heard about it, and it's good( almost said "goo") to know it's finally coming out.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I want it too. It's one of my most anticipated WiiWare titles. I just hope it's not all hype and no substance. :)

mailanbr

mailanbr said:

Finally, Nintendo actually used a little thing in their nervous system. A BRAIN. No more repeat puzzle games, now we are getting good here. But of course, now I am gonna need to buy a whole load of Wii Points because now they are gonna release all the games that people have been waiting for all at once. Nintendo, just spread it out!

yoshifu94

yoshifu94 said:

its also a definite buy for me i`ll prolly like this more than strong bad or even Lostwinds uuuuu just wait and see

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

I just hope it's not all hype and no substance.

Ahh, the day of Gyrostarr's release...

Virus

Virus said:

Can't say I'm looking forward to this big title. Nonetheless, I hope for this game to gather the success and acclaim it may deserve.

Terra

Terra said:

I'm not so interested in the game, i won't be buying it when released in Europe

Stratos

Stratos said:

@ x.SuperMario.x & Mario64DStyle
Was Gyrostarr really that disappointing to you? It's on my backlog-catchup list because I thought it sounded like it was good.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@Stratos

People had really high expectations of Gyrostarr. It's still pretty good, but it wasn't the really-amazing Wiiware shmup everybody was hoping for. I liked it personally, but it is a little weak as far as shooters go, and it takes a few levels before it starts to any sort of challenge( it's easy if you just fly through it, though it can be tough if you're trying for a really good score). It's more of a multiplayer-focused game anyways, though I found it to still be pretty enjoyable on single player too.

calculon

calculon said:

A good month? Definitely not something that plainly contradicts the statement made when selecting the WiiWare option of the shop channel (which mentions original and exclusive)

Seeing as Mega Man 9 is questionably original and definately not exclusive it shouldn't be on the service. Gradius is also questionably original. World of Goo is not going to be WiiWare in Europe and instead will be coming in at the more-than-likely rediculous price of £30 and Strong Bad is just plain poo.

A good month would involve some decent ideas like, oh say a good 3D platformer, a decent shmup with more lifespan than Star Soldier R and a complete lack of puzzle games for a change. Ultimately, I'd put up with Bomberman only to make my WiiWare month worthwhile.

If the vomit-inducing line-up of 7/10 and 8/10 reviews on the site is truly an indication of the quality of games the service will continue to offer, I'll be glad to save some money and just live the dream as quite frankly WiiWare is a joke at the moment.

Golgo

Golgo said:

I second comments above re. retail release in Europe. Via WiiWare I'd get World of Goo. Not going to be picking it up off the shelf, though.

calculon

calculon said:

Forgot to add, I'd like to see a decent racer on WiiWare too seeing as that's something that's lacking on all fronts (disc, VC and WiiWare)

And yes, we do have a couple of Mario Karts and F-Zeros but being a greedy b't'rd I want something different and better. WiiWare's already 1upped native disc based developers by providing professional downloadable content, why not push to be even greater, rather than just a maybe service?

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

@x.Supermario.x.

While it was true that Gyrostarr wasn't nearly as good as it was hyped up to be, it stil didn't do that bad, reviews-wise. Though the claims of it being shallow, repetitive, and taking up 290 blocks made me steer clear of it. :P

@calculon. Watch you f#cking language!

planchitecto

planchitecto said:

You know, I have also been following the release of this game and will say that I'm very excited about this release. However, I'm really getting annoyed by the whining from some repeated culprits (calculon). Dude, you've made your point clear on numerous blogs-we get it. You're entitled to your opinion, but don't badmouth these guys for not releasing this game on WiiWare in Europe. We don't know the full details behind their decision. We should be supporting independent gamemakers and not be thrashing them over something we really don't have full knowledge of.
2D Boy-these guys rock. I'm especially happy they've also decided to release this game on Linux. You can bet I'll be purchasing this game on Linux and WiiWare.

whalleywhat

whalleywhat said:

If MM9 never got announced, this was pretty much guaranteed to be the best WiiWare title. If you don't understand this, you're just dumb. Sorry. Good luck with that.

jeremy2

jeremy2 said:

I agree entirely, StrongBad is absolutely terrible. Where did he even come from. He's not at all funny.
Also, anyone know what happened to Home Sweet Home?
My sister has been waiting to play this game forever.
Personally, I'm not into decorating.