Wii U Forum

Topic: Zelda Producer: 'If we don't change we might die'

Showing 41 to 60 of 66

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dumedum

41. Posted:

I think that in general two schools of thought evolved.

One thinks that games should be about the gameplay.
The other thinks it's a viable alternative for movies - special effects (graphics) and "moving" "emotional "story" - also called plot.

Games can combine both, but there's clearly more emphasis on one over the another - it's what the developer likes to do, where he feels more comfortable at.

WaveBoy is correct.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GamecubeMan

42. Posted:

If the Zelda series is going to last another 25 years.... it needs to change. :O

Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
I only see GC 4.0 happening if I become a English major. Yeah... not happening.

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Geonjaha

43. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

LOZ(The first of it's kind, was TOTALY innovative),Zelda II, Majora's mask, Phantom Hour Glass, Skyward sword and those epic CDi games are pretty damn different from the usual LOZ norm. Each one of those offer a fresh unique and innovative(save for the CDi games) take on the Zelda formula. Also, am i the only one here who's not that excited for A Link between Worlds? The barren, simplistic and bland empty visuals are turning me off....I guess that's what happens when you run 3DS games in 60fps, you have to sacrifice detail, objects, the works. ALBW looks like it's suffering from the NSMB syndrome! :p

Stepping into familar territory would be the rehashed looking Oracle of Ages & Oracle of Seasons, then there's twilight princess, spirit tracks and maybe the minish cap & Wind Waker.

Nintendo should of just went for super detailed sprites, but NoOOoo, everything has to be in 3D....Ah well, i'm sure it's going to being great, but at this point i'm far more pumped for Yoshi's New Island.

You're not the only one unexcited for ALBW. :/

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NintySince96

44. Posted:

dumedum wrote:

I think that in general two schools of thought evolved.

One thinks that games should be about the gameplay.
The other thinks it's a viable alternative for movies - special effects (graphics) and "moving" "emotional "story" - also called plot.

Games can combine both, but there's clearly more emphasis on one over the another - it's what the developer likes to do, where he feels more comfortable at.

WaveBoy is correct.

I think that the Galaxy games did a perfect job of combining the two. They looked amazing and also gave you a very epic feel and transcendent game play. And sunshine gave you a great look with a pretty funny story and great gameplay as well! Windwaker is another example of this.

I know Nintendo can continue to do this, but for some reason lately they seem obsessed with playing it safe.

NintySince96

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Captain_Balko

45. Posted:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Captain_Balko wrote:

Hey, not saying it won't work, but I like my Zelda the way it is, and I don't need it to get mucked up.

Yeah, I love playing the same game every five years, too.

I just don't want radical change. It's not the same game if it's got a new story, new mechanics, better graphics, new items, et cetera. No Zelda game is "the same" when compared to its predecessor.

Captain_Balko

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stryker89

46. Posted:

I don't think the Zelda franchise is in much danger of getting stale and boring. Mario on the other hand. Whoaa boy... I'm looking forward to 3D World, but there needs to be a big shake up for our little plumber soon.

Current games: Animal Crossing, Bravely Default
Upcoming games: Super Smash Bros 3DS, Tomodachi Life

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

47. Posted:

Here's a silly little change i wouldn't mind, for all future Wii U games to run in 1080p. i've got a 60" plasma and while 720p games still look great, there's a clear noticable 'omfg' difference vs 1080p games like Stardust HD and Rayman Origins for ex. I Know Wind Waker U, Toki Tori 2 and Rayman Legends will be running in 1080p for the Wii U, which is fine and dandy but i'd like to see more games utlize the higher resolution.

Now, if i owned a 50" 1080p HDTV, i probably wouldn't even care, because being able to pick apart the difference between those 2 resolutions becomes very very small, and pretty darn tough to spot especially when you're at 10 feet away eye distance wise from the screen. If i were to upgrade to a newer HDTV, i think I'd go 55", which i'd say is the sweet spot. I'd say it's the perfect size for 1080p material(Bluray,PS4,One and some Wii U games)and 720p Wii U games will look a bit better than on a 60". But yup, i don't think i could go below 55".... at this point it just seems a bit too small...

I'd be kicking myself if i went for a 50" instead of a 55" especially when having an epic 4-player party with Super Smash Bros U. ;)

480p - 42" or smaller
720p - 42" - 50"
1080p - 55" or maybe 60"
4k - Over 60"

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

48. Posted:

@WaveHD1080p
Untitled

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

49. Posted:

@Waveboy

added you as a friend on my 3DS.

So i'm guessing this game is going to more open worldish with lots of side quests. I'm guessing its a late 2014/2015 game.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SkywardLink98

50. Posted:

Good. If Nintendo keeps doing the same thing over and over it's gonna get stale, and it will die. The PS4 seems to be able to be able to do a lot of what the Wii U is with the touchpad and smartphone connections, so they can't just rely on those gimmicks.

*Opinions, views, and/or biases are all subject to change on a regular basis.
Bergmite, Piloswine and Snover safari.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

51. Posted:

I'm glad they are noticing this. Now if they'd actually put some effort into changing I would be somewhat happy.

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Yeah, I love playing the same game every five years, too.

<3

WaveBoy wrote:

He's right. Looking at the PS4 and One, i see no evolution in game design. Focusing soley on fancier visuals only will kill the industry, and if it were just left up to Sony and MS than the industry desserves to crumble and die.

lmao. which is why developers are investing hundreds of millions into the newer consoles and the best Nintendo can hope for is multiplat scraps from select companies?

Yes, everyone is killing gaming besides Nintendo. THANK YOU LAWD NINTENDO FOR SAVING US

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Miss_Dark

52. Posted:

I can say that I've never ever felt like playing the same zelda game after having played A link to the past, Link's awakening, the WW, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, TP,... they were all different, every single one of em felt like a completely new adventure. It only worries me that I didn't like the last big Zelda title (Skyward Swords) but I guess that was mostly because of the motion controls and the whole birds in the sky thing (I missed having a huge field to explore).

"Il y a un adage qui dit qu'on fait du mal à ceux qu'on aime, mais il oublie de dire qu'on aime ceux qui nous font du mal."

Wii U name: Miss_Dark feel free to add me (but let me know who you are @ NL)
DS code: 1177 8262 3599 Please add me! ^^ (and let me know your code so I can add you too!)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

53. Posted:

Untitled

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

54. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

I'm glad they are noticing this. Now if they'd actually put some effort into changing I would be somewhat happy.

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Yeah, I love playing the same game every five years, too.

<3

WaveBoy wrote:

He's right. Looking at the PS4 and One, i see no evolution in game design. Focusing soley on fancier visuals only will kill the industry, and if it were just left up to Sony and MS than the industry desserves to crumble and die.

lmao. which is why developers are investing hundreds of millions into the newer consoles and the best Nintendo can hope for is multiplat scraps from select companies?

Yes, everyone is killing gaming besides Nintendo. THANK YOU LAWD NINTENDO FOR SAVING US

Untitled

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Aldebaran

55. Posted:

Miss_Dark wrote:

I can say that I've never ever felt like playing the same zelda game after having played A link to the past, Link's awakening, the WW, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, TP,... they were all different, every single one of em felt like a completely new adventure. It only worries me that I didn't like the last big Zelda title (Skyward Swords) but I guess that was mostly because of the motion controls and the whole birds in the sky thing (I missed having a huge field to explore).

Strange I didn't like Syward Sword that much but in my case I hated the OST which is not that good compared to the excellent tracks of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask (and perhaps Twilight Princess)

Aldebaran

Twitter: shoryuken39

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Miss_Dark

56. Posted:

Aldebaran wrote:

Miss_Dark wrote:

I can say that I've never ever felt like playing the same zelda game after having played A link to the past, Link's awakening, the WW, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, TP,... they were all different, every single one of em felt like a completely new adventure. It only worries me that I didn't like the last big Zelda title (Skyward Swords) but I guess that was mostly because of the motion controls and the whole birds in the sky thing (I missed having a huge field to explore).

Strange I didn't like Syward Sword that much but in my case I hated the OST which is not that good compared to the excellent tracks of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask (and perhaps Twilight Princess)

Koji Kondo didn't compose the soundtrack for Skyward Swords. There is your reason. I didn't like the soundtrack either, though I didn't think it was awful or anything. It just wasn't... Koji Kondo lol. I think he's one of the best composers in video game industry (together with graeme norgate). I really hope he'll compose the next Zelda but he probably won't since he's retired or something like that.

"Il y a un adage qui dit qu'on fait du mal à ceux qu'on aime, mais il oublie de dire qu'on aime ceux qui nous font du mal."

Wii U name: Miss_Dark feel free to add me (but let me know who you are @ NL)
DS code: 1177 8262 3599 Please add me! ^^ (and let me know your code so I can add you too!)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

57. Posted:

@Waveboy
I can notice a TV is not 1080p on displays as small as 32". That's only when the said content supports 1080p to begin with.
I'd say:
480p = 26" or lower(mainly because of lag, HDTV only)
720p = 26" or lower
1080p = 32"-55"
4K = 55" or higher

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

58. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

@Waveboy
I can notice a TV is not 1080p on displays as small as 32". That's only when the said content supports 1080p to begin with.
I'd say:
480p = 26" or lower(mainly because of lag, HDTV only)
720p = 26" or lower
1080p = 32"-55"
4K = 55" or higher

I dont know, it all depends on how close you're sitting to the TV really. To notice 4k on lets say a 60" you'd have to be sitting closer(eye distance wise) than 7 feet apperantly. I like sitting close(sort of) but not that close. I currently sit at about 10 1/2-11 feet from my 60", yet sitting 7 feet or closer to experience the all mighty 4k might feel a little....akward. :p My panny S30 which is known to be plagued with color inaccuracies, effed up gamma and white clipping is going up for sale. it's not worth dropping over $500 to get a calibration done when the hardware itself won't even alow the sevre pink/magneta push to be corrected. i'd much rather downsize to a 55" anyways, because i don't exactly have the room for a 60". But yup, the panny S60(Although the ST60 and up for terrible for gaming) this year is supposed to be great for gaming(2 frames of lag/34ms in this case), and the S60 is considered to be one of the greatest HDTV's on the market.

But yeah, viewing distance is key. If you go by the viewing distance charts they say that on 55" the optimal viewing distance for 720p(Majority of Wii U games) based material would be 10.7 feet....I'm very close to 11 feet. Bump it up to 60" and for 720p content it's 11.6" feet, my living room doesn't quite cover that much amount of space eye distance wise from where i'm sitting unless i ditched the TV stand(which takes up quite a bit of space) and hung my TV up on the wall. :p Hell, i'd have about half a foot extra to spare. Yay for technoDweeb tech dribble. :*

And what do you mean 26" or lower mainly because of lag? I think 480p Wii games in 4:3/fullscreen using component cables look best on a 40-42". Yet in 16:9/widecreen they look terrible(Fuzzy, soft, even the motion looks a bit off), that's when i'd start looking into 32" or below. :p yeah, Mr. Optimus OCD prime here has mentioned this several times before haha.

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

59. Posted:

Captain_Balko wrote:

I just don't want radical change. It's not the same game if it's got a new story, new mechanics, better graphics, new items, et cetera. No Zelda game is "the same" when compared to its predecessor.

You see, when I was ten years old, I hated change. Video games were victims of my ignorance. But as I grew older, became more educated, and played great sequels to games I usually wouldn't want to see drastically altered, I grew to be optimistic.

I'm still skeptic, but it's not due to nostalgia.

Now, let's compare Metroid to Zelda. Very similar games, but one takes advantage of change. Simply put, compare Metroid Prime to Metroid Prime 3: Corruption then compare Ocarina of Time to The Wind Waker.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

60. Posted:

Chrono_Crossing wrote:

Simply put, compare Metroid Prime to Metroid Prime 3: Corruption then compare Ocarina of Time to The Wind Waker.

What I get from this is that Metroid Prime 3 changed things more dramatically in ways that might not be immediately obvious (barring motion controls) and Wind Waker had a very similar design (if vastly improved in terms of basic gameplay and control) half the game with the rest being the more interesting but more repetitive, clever twist on the overworld. All of which is pretty obvious. I don't think that's what you were going with though.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!: https://www.youtube.com/user/SliderGamer55/videos