Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X - OT

Posts 1,721 to 1,740 of 4,371

Dezzy

kkslider5552000 wrote:

And it being 60 FPS is the exception to the rule for the current king of hardcore expensive, graphically impressive gaming, entirely in an attempt to make an interactive medium more like movies by sacrificing a smoother gameplay experience.

Which I would suggest is a tendency being driven by the hype and preorder culture we're living through. A huge amount of value is put in generating hype ahead of release. Nearly all of that hype comes from screenshots and preview videos. They capture the graphical achievements but do nothing to capture the quality of the gameplay --> a problematic incentive structure built into the system.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Haru17

kkslider5552000 wrote:

It should be pointed out that Last of Us had FPS issues that people I know couldn't tolerate until they improved the FPS by porting it to the PS4. And it being 60 FPS is the exception to the rule for the current king of hardcore expensive, graphically impressive gaming, entirely in an attempt to make an interactive medium more like movies by sacrificing a smoother gameplay experience.

And pointing out exceptions is irrelevant when a mountain of games crushes that argument.

and remember kids, I'm the one whose frequently nice to AAA games. And even I find the current high budget focus ridiculous. Too many people can get involved with that budget sometimes, too many people who care about money over quality.

The Last of Us was great at 30 fps, as I'm sure Zelda U and Xenoblade X will be as well. Let's not accept PC gaming zealot's dogma above brilliant game design.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Dezzy

Haru17 wrote:

The Last of Us was great at 30 fps, as I'm sure Zelda U and Xenoblade X will be as well. Let's not accept PC gaming zealot's dogma above brilliant game design.

It's not brilliant game design that's the counteracting force though, it's graphical superiority.

Sparx

I feel the story will more involve GROWTH(I assume that's one of the alien sides in the war that destroyed Earth) chasing after the humans thinking they're part of the opposing side(one of the trailers says that their past caught up with them) and trying to completely eradicate them. I guess that means the other side was destroyed and now they're after them while they're just trying to survive

Edited on by Sparx

My avatar is from here

Dezzy

Sparx wrote:

I feel the story will more involve GROWTH(I assume that's one of the alien sides in the war that destroyed Earth) chasing after the humans thinking they're part of the opposing side(one of the trailers says that their past caught up with them) and trying to completely eradicate them. I guess that means the other side was destroyed and now they're after them while they're just trying to survive

Mmmm, who would've known intergalactic wars are remarkably similar to internet arguments.

kkslider5552000

Haru17 wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

It should be pointed out that Last of Us had FPS issues that people I know couldn't tolerate until they improved the FPS by porting it to the PS4. And it being 60 FPS is the exception to the rule for the current king of hardcore expensive, graphically impressive gaming, entirely in an attempt to make an interactive medium more like movies by sacrificing a smoother gameplay experience.

And pointing out exceptions is irrelevant when a mountain of games crushes that argument.

and remember kids, I'm the one whose frequently nice to AAA games. And even I find the current high budget focus ridiculous. Too many people can get involved with that budget sometimes, too many people who care about money over quality.

My tolerance for PC Master race is better than my tolerance for developers lying about why a game is 30 FPS

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

whodatninja

Sleepingmudkip wrote:

I hope in this game the humans are nice to the environment and we dont try to exterminate or enslave the indigenous population.

Haha! Yeah, I hope the sidequest will be more engaging than "find my stupid kid, kill that peaceful animal, gather hard-to-find flowers". I would rather want fewer sidequests with substance than many that are just cut-and-paste.

whodatninja

Nintendo Network ID: whodatninja117

Sleepingmudkip

Really i mean i just hope the game is not basically bring waste to the environment but more of working in harmony with it. I just hope that the story is we have to discover the secrets of the new planet & fight off the GROWTH(I think thats the name) to protect the human race.

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

Haru17

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

My tolerance for PC Master race is better than my tolerance for developers lying about why a game is 30 FPS

These games are 30 FPS because they have pretty 1080p graphics in an open world environment that needs rendering. Xenoblade X has apparently been choppy at preview, I've read, but will be optimized as it nears release. Why get upset over current computer technology, it can't be helped.

Dezzy

Haru17 wrote:

These games are 30 FPS because they have pretty 1080p graphics in an open world environment that needs rendering. Xenoblade X has apparently been choppy at preview, I've read, but will be optimized as it nears release. Why get upset over current computer technology, it can't be helped.

Well I personally wouldn't care that much about framerate in a game like this. But in other genres I absolutely will and I don't see why you think it "can't be helped.". Yes, it can be helped. All devs need to do is have a "graphics mode" and have a "framerate mode" that you can choose between. That's effectively what some 3DS games end up doing inadvertently. Like Ironfall Invasion. You can choose between 3D at 30fps or 2D at 60fps. I appreciate the choice and I go with the latter in any genre that's based on split-second timing. Whereas in Fire Emblem I'd go with the former.

Edited on by Dezzy

DefHalan

Dezzy wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Well I personally wouldn't care that much about framerate in a game like this. But in other genres I absolutely will and I don't see why you think it "can't be helped.". Yes, it can be helped. All devs need to do is have a "graphics mode" and have a "framerate mode" that you can choose between. That's effectively what some 3DS games end up doing inadvertently. Like Ironfall Invasion. You can choose between 3D at 30fps or 2D at 60fps. I appreciate the choice and I go with the latter in any genre that's based on split-second timing.

It really isn't that simple. Open-world games make sense to be 30fps with everything that loads in and out all the time. Personally, I don't care to much about my fps as long as it is consistent.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Dezzy

DefHalan wrote:

It really isn't that simple. Open-world games make sense to be 30fps with everything that loads in and out all the time. Personally, I don't care to much about my fps as long as it is consistent.

You mean because they're trying to run some dynamic loading code in between frames without you noticing a lag? If so, what is the inherent advantage of 30 over 60? Couldn't that data just be split in half and done in 2 steps rather than 1 for the same outcome? And yeah I'd put consistency over simple average framerate.

Edited on by Dezzy

Blast

Sleepingmudkip wrote:

Really i mean i just hope the game is not basically bring waste to the environment but more of working in harmony with it. I just hope that the story is we have to discover the secrets of the new planet & fight off the GROWTH(I think thats the name) to protect the human race.

And I'm pretty sure there will be corrupted humans working with Growth.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

kkslider5552000

Haru17 wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I think you are confused. I am specifically talking about the idiotic trend of developers lying about why a game is 30 FPS in order to trick people into thinking it's the better choice. And consistently from games that seem willing to sacrifice anything good for the sake of short term profit.

If Xenoblade Chronicles X' developers have said this, I would be furious. But no it's 30 FPS, that's all we know. And that's ok, because they weren't lying pieces of ****. (same with Blood Bourne)

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CaviarMeths

User on NeoGAF StreetsAhead has been really good at translating twitter updates and demos and stuff. Here's his latest info dump.

Some really cool stuff in there. My take away is that FullMetal Jaguar is the most badass name for a class of all time.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Haru17

Dezzy wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Well I personally wouldn't care that much about framerate in a game like this. But in other genres I absolutely will and I don't see why you think it "can't be helped.". Yes, it can be helped. All devs need to do is have a "graphics mode" and have a "framerate mode" that you can choose between. That's effectively what some 3DS games end up doing inadvertently. Like Ironfall Invasion. You can choose between 3D at 30fps or 2D at 60fps. I appreciate the choice and I go with the latter in any genre that's based on split-second timing. Whereas in Fire Emblem I'd go with the former.

My point was that to have expansive environments in pretty graphics on current realistically priced computers that the frame rate limitations can't be helped. Like you said, sacrifice is inevitable, be it frame rate, graphics, world size, number of NPCs, etc.

The only game I play that I think would really benefit from 60fps is Monster Hunter, but that has large environments and nice graphics for the 3DS, so 30fps is fine for now. It doesn't make it any less great of a game.

Frame rate in Xenoblade X absolutely doesn't matter, as practically nothing is action based or determined by fast action by the player. It's just a lot of walking, auto attacking, positioning, and action bar navigation.

@kkslider5552000 I was simply stating the real reason for 30 fps. I don't get offended over PR statements because they have to hype their stuff up to sell it. It's like when developers say 'you can create your own story'. I don't get offended that the PR people, in the vast majority of cases, are grossly exaggerating the reality. I simply recognize that that game's story probably isn't very good. I don't see the point in getting upset over anything but actual harm that is morally objectionable.

People who say that The Order or The Evil Within are lying about the cinematic feel being the reason for the black bars above and below the screen in those games are just making gross assumptions. Those devs could prefer the way the game looks in that aspect ratio, people should stop being snarky about artistic license. If I made a portrait-style game for console I'd appreciate it if people didn't rage at me for no reason.

And there is no game called 'The Blood Bourne Identity' =P

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

If I made a portrait-style game for console I'd appreciate it if people didn't rage at me for no reason.

Why would you do such a horrible thing?

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

If I made a portrait-style game for console I'd appreciate it if people didn't rage at me for no reason.

Oh, I dunno, maybe I wanted to invent Tetris? =P

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Oh, I dunno, maybe I wanted to invent Tetris? =P

Yeah but there's a difference between this:
Untitled

and this*:
Untitled

It's that one of them gives me eye cancer. Column games like Tetris and Guitar Hero are cool, but there's stuff going on in the sides like UI and visual pleasantries, and I think those are important. I would feel cramped if it were just two black bars.

*(not saying that's what it definitely look like, that was just a quick mock-up I did in Paint to try squeeze the UI into that aspect ratio)

Edited on by CaviarMeths

Blast

I'd think it would be really cool if we saw small Nintendo items in the game like a Pokeball or the Master Sword in Cross' bedroom or something.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic