Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X - OT

Posts 1,741 to 1,760 of 4,371

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

If I made a portrait-style game for console I'd appreciate it if people didn't rage at me for no reason.

Why would you do such a horrible thing?

Oh, I dunno, maybe I wanted to invent Tetris? =P

Yeah but there's a difference between this:
Untitled

and this*:
Untitled

It's that one of them gives me eye cancer. Column games like Tetris and Guitar Hero are cool, but there's stuff going on in the sides like UI and visual pleasantries, and I think those are important. I would feel cramped if it were just two black bars.

*(not saying that's what it definitely look like, that was just a quick mock-up I did in Paint to try squeeze the UI into that aspect ratio)

You are missing the point, you know that right? Let me make certain: YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT.

The point was that we shouldn't restrict developers to a certain aspect ratio if they have an innovative idea that perhaps requires a different aspect ratio. Maybe The Order feels better in widescreen? I dunno, neither you nor I have played it to tell. Let's not play back seat game dev with closed-minds, yeah?

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Hy8ogen

I thought 30 fps makes it more cinematic?

Nintendo fan since 6 years of age.
Owned: SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, 3DS, Wii U, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PSP3000.

3DS Friend Code: 5472-8085-9073 | Nintendo Network ID: kkloveit

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

You are missing the point, you know that right? Let me make certain: YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT.

The point was that we shouldn't restrict developers to a certain aspect ratio if they have an innovative idea that perhaps requires a different aspect ratio. Maybe The Order feels better in widescreen? I dunno, neither you nor I have played it to tell. Let's not play back seat game dev with closed-minds, yeah?

Lol.

Hy8ogen wrote:

I thought 30 fps makes it more cinematic?

Sarcasm noted, but it should be pointed out that films can get away with 24fps because of motion blur. A movie in 24fps looks "cinematic" because a lot of the frames look like this, which deepens the illusion of movement. Our eyes are funny like that.

Video games don't have motion blur, which is why a lower framerate can give a strobe light effect. If the framerate isn't high enough, our eyes can easily pick apart individual frames. It changes from person to person, and honestly, a locked, steady 30fps looks fine to me.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

R_Champ

Haru17 wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

It should be pointed out that Last of Us had FPS issues that people I know couldn't tolerate until they improved the FPS by porting it to the PS4. And it being 60 FPS is the exception to the rule for the current king of hardcore expensive, graphically impressive gaming, entirely in an attempt to make an interactive medium more like movies by sacrificing a smoother gameplay experience.

And pointing out exceptions is irrelevant when a mountain of games crushes that argument.

and remember kids, I'm the one whose frequently nice to AAA games. And even I find the current high budget focus ridiculous. Too many people can get involved with that budget sometimes, too many people who care about money over quality.

The Last of Us was great at 30 fps, as I'm sure Zelda U and Xenoblade X will be as well. Let's not accept PC gaming zealot's dogma above brilliant game design.

Uhhh...but why can't we have both? I'm hardly a PC zeolot, but it's this kind of mentality completely disallows me to take console fantatics seriously. Sure, a game can still be great at 30FPS...but wouldn't it be that much better if it were ALSO 60FPS? Of course it would.

Will it stop me from enjoying XBX? Heck no, but I'll definitely consider it one of the negatives. The constant defense of 30FPS is staggering...though considering that even the POWERHOUSE and EPIC PS4 is even bottlenecking the hell out of most AAA games, I can see why people go into denial.

Nintendo & Steam ID: R_Champ

Blast

Why do I get this weird vibe that Cross and Elma might die and the focus will shift to Lynlee growing up?

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Haru17

R_Champ wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

It should be pointed out that Last of Us had FPS issues that people I know couldn't tolerate until they improved the FPS by porting it to the PS4. And it being 60 FPS is the exception to the rule for the current king of hardcore expensive, graphically impressive gaming, entirely in an attempt to make an interactive medium more like movies by sacrificing a smoother gameplay experience.

And pointing out exceptions is irrelevant when a mountain of games crushes that argument.

and remember kids, I'm the one whose frequently nice to AAA games. And even I find the current high budget focus ridiculous. Too many people can get involved with that budget sometimes, too many people who care about money over quality.

The Last of Us was great at 30 fps, as I'm sure Zelda U and Xenoblade X will be as well. Let's not accept PC gaming zealot's dogma above brilliant game design.

Uhhh...but why can't we have both? I'm hardly a PC zeolot, but it's this kind of mentality completely disallows me to take console fantatics seriously. Sure, a game can still be great at 30FPS...but wouldn't it be that much better if it were ALSO 60FPS? Of course it would.

Will it stop me from enjoying XBX? Heck no, but I'll definitely consider it one of the negatives. The constant defense of 30FPS is staggering...though considering that even the POWERHOUSE and EPIC PS4 is even bottlenecking the hell out of most AAA games, I can see why people go into denial.

Graphics and frame rate matter, but they only act as a coefficient with a pretty small range upon the much more important part of a game; the content. If a game's gameplay and story are trash or even just average than no amount of pretty frame rates or high graphixs will help. And PCs are damn expensive (modern graphics cards cost as much as an entire PS4) and unwieldy for everyone who has neither a computer engineering degree or practice taking care of windows.

So basically stop acting like PCs are superior in every way; they aren't just aren't. That's the entire point of platforms, each one has different strengths. For instance, try running Severed on a PC and you'd have to hook up a touch screen. No one is going to do that so that game can't be successful on that platform.

erv

I think the title should read "1080p Chronicles 30fps" because consumer deception! And it should release tomorrow!

I'm also excited for The legend of 720p: the 30fps and Devil's 1080p. I'll buy 1080p Toad: 60fps hunter at some point and am of course interested in 60fpstoon.

Enough retail games that are gonna be so framerate!

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Blast

So what are some cool activities you think Monolith will add in XCX?
I bet there's gonna be a racing mini game. Imagine you and other people racing to a place. It can be in a mech or on foot.

Master of the Hype Train

kkslider5552000

Mech races sound cool. I'm not sure how much of that they'll add. Might add a little but they didn't really care about stuff like that last time. With the more modern setting I could see maybe them making their own minigames in the form of like an arcade or something.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Blast

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Mech races sound cool. I'm not sure how much of that they'll add. Might add a little but they didn't really care about stuff like that last time. With the more modern setting I could see maybe them making their own minigames in the form of like an arcade or something.

I'm sure Monolith will add some cool stuff to do besides exploring and enjoying the story.

Master of the Hype Train

Blast

I've been watching the trailers over and over and it seems like... New Los Angeles gets attacked by other aliens and even corrupted humans at some point in the game. A full out war begins with Cross caught in the middle.

Master of the Hype Train

Haru17

Blast wrote:

I bet there's gonna be a racing mini game. Imagine you and other people racing to a place. It can be in a mech or on foot.

Do the mechs speed up or have a boost / sprint? Otherwise it'll just be like walking, but in the air.

TheLilK98

Haru17 wrote:

Blast wrote:

Do the mechs speed up or have a boost / sprint? Otherwise it'll just be like walking, but in the air.

I'm pretty sure they all have vehicular transformations.

My intro by Dark-Luigi
My Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4665-8309 | Nintendo Network ID: TheLilK98 | Twitter:

Haru17

TheLilK98 wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Blast wrote:

Yes, human to robot, robot to car, but are there any speed mechanics to facilitate racing?

CaviarMeths

I recall PS1/PS2 platformers having this weird obsession with racing sequences. Crash Bandicoot 3 started it, and then every PS platformer for the next 8 years all did it. Was weird.

None of those games had speed mechanics outside of those sequences though.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

TheLilK98

Haru17 wrote:

TheLilK98 wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Blast wrote:

Yes, human to robot, robot to car, but are there any speed mechanics to facilitate racing?

I honestly don't know.

My intro by Dark-Luigi
My Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4665-8309 | Nintendo Network ID: TheLilK98 | Twitter:

CaviarMeths

bezerker99 wrote:

Can XCX be preordered anywhere yet in North America???

It's on Canadian Amazon. Probably American too.

Edit: Yup. Note that Dec 31 is just a placeholder date though.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

Dezzy

Haru17 wrote:

Graphics and frame rate matter, but they only act as a coefficient with a pretty small range upon the much more important part of a game; the content.

Very well said. That is exactly what they do. Although if I was being pedantic I'd have to point out that a coefficient with a range is actually a variable

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic