Wii U Forum

Topic: Wii U Internet Browser GamePad spec page

Showing 1 to 20 of 24

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

1. Posted:

You need a Wii U to see the second link. It's a sample of what the Wii U can do running HTML5 using the gyro sensor. The GamePad interacts 1:1 on 9 axis. This is a demo provided by Nintendo as a courtesy reference, apparently.

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/built-in-software/browser-specs/...
(button code)

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/built-in-software/browser-specs/...
(active demo)

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Cheaptrick

2. Posted:

Do people really care about this?

OVERCLOCK.NET OFFICIAL WII U OWNERS CLUB

Cheaptrick's Project "Silent Scout"

Cheaptrick's GTX 680 SC Modding

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

3. Posted:

Point being?

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

goldbricks23

4. Posted:

I think its good that Nintendo are freely giving this sort of information and specs available for possible interested developers- without making too much of a commitment to check details out. The company has been criticised for holding back information and being secretive. Its a good step forward they are providing this information for anyone to see.

3DS FC- 4983-4919-0952

AuthorMessage
Avatar

PloXyZeRO

5. Posted:

What do you mean what's the point?! This is great! People can now start creating Wii U-specific games and websites to play and view on the Internet Browser!

They can also utilize specific features of the gamepad to make interactivity with certain websites more fluid or entertaining.

MrSRArter wrote:

Nintendo is rich while Detroit is bankrupt. They could use Detroit make a real Nintendo Land theme park.

3DS Friend Code: 3325-2132-3153 | Nintendo Network ID: PloXyZeRO | Twitter: ContraParadox

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Cheaptrick

6. Posted:

PloXyZeRO wrote:

What do you mean what's the point?! This is great! People can now start creating Wii U-specific games and websites to play and view on the Internet Browser!

They can also utilize specific features of the gamepad to make interactivity with certain websites more fluid or entertaining.

Obtaining Gamepad's button states doesn't make someone to be able to create Wii U specific games & websites. You need the entire OS & HTML5 source codes for that (not to mention a Wii U developmental kit). This is a useless thread.

Edited on by Cheaptrick

OVERCLOCK.NET OFFICIAL WII U OWNERS CLUB

Cheaptrick's Project "Silent Scout"

Cheaptrick's GTX 680 SC Modding

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Airola

7. Posted:

Cheaptrick wrote:

This is a useless thread.

No it's not.
I didn't know about this. Now I know. Wouldn't have known about it without this thread. Hence this is useful.

I found it fascinating that developers can build stuff working on an internet browser that takes use of the Gamepad's gyro sensor. It was very nice to see those meters moving accurately. I'm very interested in seeing what HTML5 is capable of.

I'd like to hear why Cheaptrick thinks this is so uninteresting that people shouldn't even talk about it.

Airola

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Pichuka97

8. Posted:

That second link was really trippy.

Favorite Games: Sonic CD, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland, and Call of Duty: Black Ops, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game, and Mega Man 5.
My Backlog
Sonic is AMAZING!! Nintendo is AMAZING!! I AM AMAZING!!

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7746-7284 | Nintendo Network ID: Pichuka97

AuthorMessage
Avatar

meatPill

9. Posted:

Wow those were some needlessly rude responses up top. I think it's interesting, I like how Nintendo is always trying something unconventional.

Currently juggling too many games:Dota 2, Mario Sunshine, Zombie-U, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Battlefield 3 PC, Age of Empires II HD, Path of Exile, Luigi's Mansion(GC), Metroid Prime 2, Don't Starve.

Nintendo Network ID: meatPill

AuthorMessage
Avatar

PloXyZeRO

10. Posted:

Cheaptrick wrote:

PloXyZeRO wrote:

What do you mean what's the point?! This is great! People can now start creating Wii U-specific games and websites to play and view on the Internet Browser!

They can also utilize specific features of the gamepad to make interactivity with certain websites more fluid or entertaining.

Obtaining Gamepad's button states doesn't make someone to be able to create Wii U specific games & websites. You need the entire OS & HTML5 source codes for that (not to mention a Wii U developmental kit). This is a useless thread.

That's not true. This thread is very useful, because I just wrote a small program to make a box move around the screen by using the gyro sensors.
The website provides all of the functions you need to get everything working...I didn't need source code from anything (well I looked at the page source from the Nintendo website for a bit of help but that's all) or a Wii U developer's kit...

This is an example of a Wii U-specific website: http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/built-in-software/browser-specs/...
If you go on it on your PC...nothing happens. If you access it with the Wii U gamepad, you'll get all sorts of information regarding various sensors and inputs.

Edited on by PloXyZeRO

MrSRArter wrote:

Nintendo is rich while Detroit is bankrupt. They could use Detroit make a real Nintendo Land theme park.

3DS Friend Code: 3325-2132-3153 | Nintendo Network ID: PloXyZeRO | Twitter: ContraParadox

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

11. Posted:

This is an informational thread. This shows exactly what the Wii U can do using HTML5, motion control, and button input.
The reference is only important if you can make use of it. You can use it to check calibration(which shouldn't really ever be offset anyway), see what points of movement are the ones you want to map as a command, determine what commands or combinations of commands should do, and range of control from TV to GamePad.
You could basically create a webpage for the GamePad using the control codes.
If you have software creating software, you can type in these codes and map Wii U specific codes for your webpage, even without a dev kit.
Using this reference would require you to map commands manually more so than a devkit, though.

EDIT: This has alot to do with the Nintendo Web Framework they were demonstrating at GDC.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

goldbricks23

12. Posted:

meatPill wrote:

Wow those were some needlessly rude responses up top. I think it's interesting, I like how Nintendo is always trying something unconventional.

This. What happened to if you don't have any good or constructive to say don't bother saying it.

3DS FC- 4983-4919-0952

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Discostew

13. Posted:

goldbricks23 wrote:

meatPill wrote:

Wow those were some needlessly rude responses up top. I think it's interesting, I like how Nintendo is always trying something unconventional.

This. What happened to if you don't have any good or constructive to say don't bother saying it.

Trolls are what happened.

"What fun is there in making sense?"
Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project

Pokemon 3DS Friend Safari - Ice - Spheal, Sneasel, Lapras

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

AuthorMessage
Avatar

PorllM

14. Posted:

This is really cool, glad to see Nintendo putting this information out there. Thanks for posting, ignore the a**holes.

PorllM

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SwerdMurd

15. Posted:

That's friggin' awesome. SOOOO glad we're finally moving in the html 5 direction and ditching age-old mem-hog flash.

How can people not care about this!? If it can natively run html 5 based web content, and said content can reference button states / gyro, you can make content accessible via Wii U, w/o going through official channels / buying a dev kit. You're not gonna be able to sell much of anything, or get much exposure outside of organic... But it's 100% feasible. There was a DSiCade website that had games, playable on DSi via its browser... Pretty sure they didn't buy a dev kit to program a simple web-based version of missile command.

-Swerd Murd

Owner of VINTAGE Games. http://www.vintagegames.us

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

16. Posted:

They're just mad because the PS360 controllers are rubbish ;)

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Cheaptrick

17. Posted:

LOL, making program of the Gamepad's button states. You're kidding right?

Edited on by Cheaptrick

OVERCLOCK.NET OFFICIAL WII U OWNERS CLUB

Cheaptrick's Project "Silent Scout"

Cheaptrick's GTX 680 SC Modding

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shinesprite

18. Posted:

This is Awesome!!!

Currently Playing Mario Kart 8, Rayman Legends
Recently Completed - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Rayman Origins

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SwerdMurd

19. Posted:

The language used is rather vague... But assuming they mean that developers can send commands, from the controller (by listening for a button-state on the html5 enabled webpage), it's awesome.

-Swerd Murd

Owner of VINTAGE Games. http://www.vintagegames.us

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Cheaptrick

20. Posted:

SwerdMurd wrote:

The language used is rather vague... But assuming they mean that developers can send commands, from the controller (by listening for a button-state on the html5 enabled webpage), it's awesome.

It's not a language but a diagram of button states.

OVERCLOCK.NET OFFICIAL WII U OWNERS CLUB

Cheaptrick's Project "Silent Scout"

Cheaptrick's GTX 680 SC Modding