Forums

Topic: Why is no one buying the Wii U?

Posts 101 to 120 of 326

Chrono_Cross

Aviator wrote:

kyuubikid213 wrote:

I will have to argue against the 360's "variety" though. I went to buy some games for the thing and I was hard-pressed to find anything that wasn't a rated M, "hardcore"/"dudebro", killing spree.

You're not looking hard enough then.

If it doesn't say Nintendo on the box, he gets lost.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

Chrono_Cross

Well, obviously he doesn't like RPGs, racing games, sports games, FPSes, TPSes, and adventure games.

Just for you.

kyuubikid213

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Aviator wrote:

kyuubikid213 wrote:

I will have to argue against the 360's "variety" though. I went to buy some games for the thing and I was hard-pressed to find anything that wasn't a rated M, "hardcore"/"dudebro", killing spree.

You're not looking hard enough then.

If it doesn't say Nintendo on the box, he gets lost.

Hardee har har.

Forgive me that I can find an actual varied line-up of games on my Nintendo systems from Fire Emblem to Zelda, Call of Duty to Batman, and Xenoblade to Madworld.

I went to GameStop and the entire 360 wall was full of M rated shooters or hack-and-slash God of War style games. The only exceptions were some Lego games and Naruto fighters. That's it.

I like RPGs, but you're kidding yourself if you're going to argue how vast the 360's library is and use RPGs and adventure games as a backing. Those RPGs are shooters with RPG mechanics (not counting the Bethesda games, but I can get those elsewhere) and the adventure games have a HUGE emphasis on killing over actual "adventure."

I have a variety of games on my Wii. I have a variety of games on my 3DS. My Wii U has a pretty decent variety and it's only a year old.

And no. I hate sports games. Few of them make me feel like I'm in control and the rest make me wonder why I'm not outside playing anyway. It's a sports game. I could have saved a couple hundred dollars buy getting a football and some friends together if I really wanted to.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

Smooty

kyuubikid213 wrote:

Hardee har har.

Forgive me that I can find an actual varied line-up of games on my Nintendo systems from Fire Emblem to Zelda, Call of Duty to Batman, and Xenoblade to Madworld.

I went to GameStop and the entire 360 wall was full of M rated shooters or hack-and-slash God of War style games. The only exceptions were some Lego games and Naruto fighters. That's it.

I like RPGs, but you're kidding yourself if you're going to argue how vast the 360's library is and use RPGs and adventure games as a backing. Those RPGs are shooters with RPG mechanics (not counting the Bethesda games, but I can get those elsewhere) and the adventure games have a HUGE emphasis on killing over actual "adventure."

I have a variety of games on my Wii. I have a variety of games on my 3DS. My Wii U has a pretty decent variety and it's only a year old.

And no. I hate sports games. Few of them make me feel like I'm in control and the rest make me wonder why I'm not outside playing anyway. It's a sports game. I could have saved a couple hundred dollars buy getting a football and some friends together if I really wanted to.

>This
See, this ls what i meant people, suuure there is "variety" of games in PS3/PS4 360/XB1 but what you find afterall is just a bunch of violence M rated games, most are FPS, so yeah, maybe there's not much "Third party support" (Ehem... more like 80% FPS 20% anything else) for Wii U, but i actually think that it is for the best.
People don't buy the Wii U CAUSE:
A) They think it is an accesory or add-on for Wii (I'm sorry but i think that's stupid and ignorant, but nintendo is to blame on this too for not showing people that Wil U is a new console)

B) They don't simply because it doesn't have the newest killimg-spree M rated game

C) They are waiting for new games to be revealed or to come out

OH and i don't understand why sports games sell so well, THEY SUCK. It's true...

Edited on by Smooty

Do you even

Dreamz

Chrono_Cross wrote:

HaThready wrote:

Yeeeah, because crappy Touch-Only smartphone games are the same as DS/3DS/Wii U Touch screen gaming

Aren't they, though? Aren't IOS games and DS games ultimately the same thing? Games?

Or are DS games moreso games than IOS games?

iOS and Android games are to normal video games what Taco Bell is to Mexican cuisine.

Edited on by Dreamz

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

Smooty

Dreamz wrote:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

HaThready wrote:

Yeeeah, because crappy Touch-Only smartphone games are the same as DS/3DS/Wii U Touch screen gaming

Aren't they, though? Aren't IOS games and DS games ultimately the same thing? Games?

Or are DS games moreso games than IOS games?

iOS and Android games are to normal video games what Taco Bell is Mexican cuisine.

I love you.

Do you even

Ark

People who say the 360 and PS3 lack variety presumably have tastes as narrow as those who say the Wii was a Wii Sports box with two Super Mario Galaxy add-ons. Applying the "FPS machine" label to the PS3 seems like a particularly inaccurate generalization given that it probably has more (J)RPGs than anything else (I could probably put together at least 30 just off the top of my head). That, and it attracted the majority of Japanese games (besides shmups, which the 360 delivers in spades), which tend not to be FPS titles by virtue of that not being a popular genre over there.

As for the M-rating misconception, those tend to be the most popular games in the same way that the "kiddie games" (a term I use with no seriousness, I'd like to clarify) Mario and Pokemon are among Nintendo's most popular. It is generally advisable to search deeper than what public perception offers when determining a system's library.

kyuubikid213 wrote:

I'm not aware of any notable shooting elements in Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Star Ocean, Resonance of Fate, The Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery, Enchanted Arms, Magna Carta 2, Spectral Force 3, Record of Agarest War (Zero and One), Culdcept Saga, or Phantasy Star Universe. Assuming you and Chrono are including JRPGs in "RPG", of course (as most do, despite them actually being very different beasts). I'm no authority on western-style RPGs.

Edited on by Ark

19Robb92

Cobrat wrote:

I bought my Wii U on launch day and it's been the best darn video game console I've owned this generation.

Well, considering the competition launched just a couple of months ago that seems like a very premature thing to say.

Cobrat wrote:

Not a single game drought, plenty of third party support, more power than than the XBox 360/PS3 and still no one interested?

That's just not true. I've owned one since launch as well. I got it with New Super Mario Bros. U & NintendoLand. Then I didn't buy anything else until Rayman Legends & Wind Waker HD. That was a drought of 5-6 months. One of the worst I've seen on any system.

3rd party support also sucks. The only company who has really given the WIiU a fair go is pretty much Ubisoft.

Cobrat wrote:

This is what everyone was asking for from Nintendo.

People were asking for a underused tablet controller that increases the price of their system?

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

jariw

19Robb92 wrote:

That's just not true. I've owned one since launch as well. I got it with New Super Mario Bros. U & NintendoLand. Then I didn't buy anything else until Rayman Legends & Wind Waker HD. That was a drought of 5-6 months.

Just because you don't buy games doesn't mean there aren't any games released. I remember buying Trine 2, Lego City: Undercover, Pikmin 3, Game & Wario, NFS in that time space you're referring to.

jariw

19Robb92

jariw wrote:

Just because you don't buy games doesn't mean there aren't any games released. I remember buying Trine 2, Lego City: Undercover, Pikmin 3, Game & Wario, NFS in that time space you're referring to.

Good for you. That's still a drought though. One game a month is extremely little.

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

Chrono_Cross

Hardee har har.

My, God, look at this diversity.

Which totally counters your "point". You're going out on a limb here. The Wii and 3DS has more diversity? Ha!

You know what I see when I go to GameStop when it comes to Wii and 3DS? Nintendo games and shovelware.

Oh, but the 3DS and Wii do? Calm down, bucko.

And no. I hate sports games. Few of them make me feel like I'm in control and the rest make me wonder why I'm not outside playing anyway. It's a sports game. I could have saved a coupl

God forbid someone can't play football in the Winter so they resort to video games. God forbid.

iOS and Android games are to normal video games what Taco Bell is to Mexican cuisine.

What an analogy! Just kidding, that was bad and you should feel bad.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.

kkslider5552000

i will say while it's not a definitive anything, it doesn't help your point when the top rated 3DS games are in fact more diverse in terms of genres

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Chrono_Cross

kkslider5552000 wrote:

i will say while it's not a definitive anything, it doesn't help your point when the top rated 3DS games are in fact more diverse in terms of genres

Oh, you mean all those 80s and below ranked games? Looking at all of the 90+ scores for the 360, I see a great variety in terms of genres.

And looking at the 3DS' 90+ scores (there's only six), we have two Zelda games, a port, Fire Emblem, a 3-D Mario and a puzzle game.

Some triple A quantity right there!

Just for you.

kkslider5552000

yes. Um, you just described more variety than the top 360 games, which are mostly shooters. Not all shooters, and a good variety for shooters, but unquestionably shooter heavy at the top.

but i was looking more at what was on the page without scrolling down, since the 360 came out 5 1/2 years earlier.

just because you are dealing with a nintendo fanboy doesn't mean you aren't still embarrassing

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

jariw

19Robb92 wrote:

jariw wrote:

Good for you. That's still a drought though. One game a month is extremely little.

Since we only play for fun, we don't need new games every day here. And I probably bought some other Wii U games as well during that time span, but I can agree that back then there were a limited amount of titles to choose from (specially 1st party). And yet, we still haven't completed all those games I bought.

However, I don't understand why people seem surprised that there would be a limited number of new games at the start of any new console. The reason I bought the Wii U early was because of the promise of Rayman Legends and Lego City: Undercover as exclusives, and that the new machine was Wii compatible. It was a no-brainer to replace the Wii with Wii U to get access to the new game releases. If there would be no games, I could pick up some Wii games we never played. Or play games on another system. It's not that there is any shortage of games in the world.

However, what I was surprised about was Ubisofts treatment of Rayman Legends later on, which IMO resulted it much lower sales on the Wii U than it could have made.

jariw

Chrono_Cross

Woah, woah, woah, now. Are we getting specific to try and prove an invalid point? Woah.

Grand Theft Auto IV
Grand Theft Auto V
BioShock
The Orange Box
Mass Effect 2
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Red Dead Redemption
Portal 2
Batman: Arkham City
Gears of War
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Halo 3
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

I stopped at 94 but I think you get the idea.

So, to be exact, most of these games are not on Nintendo platforms and are of high diversity for the consumer. Not published by one company like the Wii's and 3DS' lists I mean look at it, a bundle, first person shooters (some of the best ever), third person shooters, puzzle games, sandbox games (some of the best, again), RPGs (again, best of), and an adventure game. A lot which have received endless praise, groundbreaking sales, and many Game of the Year awards.

But, oh wait, Fire Emblem and Xenoblade Chronicles. I'm sorry.

Just for you.

Dreamz

Top 15 XBox360 games according to Metacritic:
Grand Theft Auto IV
Grand Theft Auto V
BioShock
The Orange Box
Mass Effect 2
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Red Dead Redemption
Portal 2
Batman: Arkham City
Gears of War
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Halo 3
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

Top 15 3DS games according to Metacritic:
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Cave Story
Fire Emblem: Awakening
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Super Mario 3D Land
Pushmo
Colors! 3D
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Pokemon Y
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Rage of the Gladiator
Pokemon X
Crashmo
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition

Top 15 Wii U games according to Metacritic:
Super Mario 3D World
Rayman Legends
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Skylanders Swap Force
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut
Pikmin 3
Need for Speed: Most Wanted U
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Mass Effect 3: Special Edition
Assassin's Creed III
NBA 2K13
Darksiders II
Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition
Trine 2: Director's Cut
Mutant Mudds Deluxe

Edited on by Dreamz

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

Chrono_Cross

Top 15 3DS games according to Metacritic:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Cave Story
Fire Emblem: Awakening
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Super Mario 3D Land
Pushmo
Colors! 3D
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Pokemon Y
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Rage of the Gladiator
Pokemon X
Crashmo
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition

Two ports, a fighting game? and an RPG not published by Nintendo.

Sure, that's some diversity, but the quality isn't there and it doesn't help that Nintendo is the main supporter due to its large catalog of franchises.

But, you're ranging into the mid-to-low 80s. That's not fair, I only posted 94+ review scores. We can go lower and truly show you how much diversity the 360 has to offer.

Oh, knock it off with the Wii U list. We're not talking about that. Stay on track now.

Just for you.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.