Wii U Forum

Topic: What if Link is gender neutral?

Showing 301 to 320 of 324

AuthorMessage

skywake

301. Posted:

Dezzy wrote:

skywake wrote:

The simplest definition of rational would be to base your decisions on evidence.

That does nothing to circumvent the problem that moral values are essentially axiomatic. You can't get evidence to support the claim that inequality is wrong. You have to accept that as an axiom before evidence can factor into it. So evidence isn't going to avoid the circularity and if your definition of rational is just 'whoever follows the evidence', then you end back at the claim I'd already made: "there are rational strands of all ideologies."

In the pristine hypothetical world where politics is debated in that way sure. Not in the real world. In the real world these issues are debated at length from every possible angle. Someone always makes a claim that can be tested even in social politics. The whole "everyone is entitled to their own opinion" excuse for shutting down debate is BS. If someone holds a view they should be able to defend it. If they can't handle defending and whine about their opponents calling them out on it then it's a position not worth holding. More often than not both sides make statements that can be tested and found to be false.

I'm also not quite sure why you're disagreeing with me here. I simply said that you can't really define one political philosophy or another as being the 'rational' kind. Because we're irrational creatures. But if someone only or predominantly backs their decisions up with testable evidence? Well that guy can be called rational. But if they're doing that I highly doubt that they're wedded to one particular political ideology/party/system.

Dezzy wrote:

skywake wrote:

Yeah, if someone kept that up they would eventually be considered a bigot. Period. End of discussion.

It's only the end of discussion if you're eager to be closed minded about people who hold different views. That's exactly what happens when you use an emotionally crafted label like 'bigot'. When you call someone a bigot, you're not actually engaging in a rational argument. The label is very much a placeholder for saying "I no longer have to even try to argue with your position. It's obviously wrong so I'm just going to demonize you.". For me, that's just not a good way of dealing with people, no matter how damaging you think their beliefs are. And just to be clear, I'm not actually defending any of the beliefs that you would label 'bigotted'. I'm sure we'd agree on the status of those beliefs. I'm just defending people's rights to hold unpopular beliefs, without being bullied by the politically correct mob.

You're so caught up in the idea that I'm attacking the conservative movement. I mean perhaps you could read it like that but it wasn't my intent. Instead what I was saying was that what once were seen as "progressive" and "conservative" views as time moves on become seen as "conservative" and "bigoted" views. And that in general that social conservatism taken to its extreme is something that is best described as bigotry.

A good 100 years or so ago it would have been the conservative view that mixed race and mixed faith marriages were to be frowned upon. Or the idea that women, minorities and people who don't own property shouldn't be allowed to vote. Those were conservative views. As time has gone on it has gotten to the point where someone who pushed those ideas as part of their political agenda will rightly be called a bigot. When we're all dead you can pretty much guarantee that some of the ideas being debated today will be looked at in the same way.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

BlatantlyHeroic

302. Posted:

This topic isn't even about politics. You guys are derailing the train off of a cliff. XD

The only political system in gaming is anarchy. Let us get back to freely playing the games we want to play and be a happy community that protects each and every right for us to be different and unique individuals instead of bringing each other down. ^-^

3DS Friend Code: 0962-9923-0016

AuthorMessage

skywake

303. Posted:

BlatantlyHeroic wrote:

This topic isn't even about politics. You guys are derailing the train off of a cliff. XD

Well I did try to bring the topic into every single post except the last one. My opponent doesn't seem to want to talk about it and is instead more interested in making this about Gay Marriage again ;)

AuthorMessage

BlatantlyHeroic

304. Posted:

@Skywake Hahaha! I would bring up the fact that he's arguing "controversial" (heavy sarcasm on controversial) issues in a puny and trivial internet topic that the big wigs in the world will never see. XD

AuthorMessage

Shirma_Akayaku

305. Posted:

Is this about Link's gender or Link's sex? Cuz those are two totally different things.

WIFI Game List:
Super Smash Bros. 3DS
Mario Kart 8
Mario Kart 7
Mario Golf: World Tour + DLC
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:
SSB4 (Wii U)
Mario Maker
Splatoon
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Hyrule Warriors + DLC

Mii Name: Shirma

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

AuthorMessage

SpookyMeths

306. Posted:

Rosalina wrote:

Is this about Link's gender or Link's sex? Cuz those are two totally different things.

Sex.

What, like full moons, silver bullets, and eyebrows that join in the middle?

AuthorMessage

BlatantlyHeroic

307. Posted:

@Rosalina Woah, be careful with what you make possessive. Right now it sounds like you're saying Link was doing naughty things. XD

AuthorMessage

mamp

308. Posted:

Dreamz wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Aviator wrote:

Octane wrote:

I don't complain about Samus' gender either.

Because Samus isn't a vehicle for the players.

Before Other M happened, she very much was. Are you saying you acknowledge Other M exists?
Untitled

She was a vehicle for the player if you just went by the games. However, there was an entire Metroid manga series...and her character there matched what we saw in Other M (which I really enjoyed).

Why do people always forget fusion?

The cat's the only cat who knows where it's at.
NNID: Muffin-Gun

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6586-7657

AuthorMessage

Dreamz

309. Posted:

mamp wrote:

Dreamz wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Before Other M happened, she very much was. Are you saying you acknowledge Other M exists?
Untitled

She was a vehicle for the player if you just went by the games. However, there was an entire Metroid manga series...and her character there matched what we saw in Other M (which I really enjoyed).

Why do people always forget fusion?

I always forget it because it's the one Metroid game I haven't finished yet (though I'm familiar with the game's story). It's on my to-do list though!

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U
Currently playing: Bayonetta

AuthorMessage

OptometristLime

310. Posted:

Rosalina wrote:

This thread is comparable to the Manhattan Project.

Everyone comes here to split atoms.

Edited on by OptometristLime

Miyamoto on his desire to focus more on the (hard)core Nintendo fan.

[The casual] attitude is, ‘okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.’ [...] and to me it’s kind of a pathetic thing.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage

skywake

311. Posted:

So..... 60fps video is headed to youtube ey?
/about as relevant to the topic as most of the thread so far

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

312. Posted:

skywake wrote:

So..... 60fps video is headed to youtube ey?
/about as relevant to the topic as most of the thread so far

oh really? That'd be pretty cool.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage

pixelman

313. Posted:

What if you don't play as Link in the new Zelda, but instead play as a Link-wannabe character who you create/customize at the start, and it has some kind of multiplayer aspect to it.

If it's a prequel to WW (pre-flood years when Link was absent), then that would make a whole lot of sense.

Which means I'm probably wrong, but hey.

I made Kid Tripp! PocketGamer gave it a 9 out of 10! You should totally buy it now!
[16:39] BadKitty: you trying to steal stuff from me? u_u
[16:41] kribs: don't worry Emmy, even if poix tried to steal something from you, he wouldn't finish stealing it

3DS Friend Code: 1123-6536-5321 | Nintendo Network ID: pixelpowa | Twitter: thatpixelguy

AuthorMessage

SpookyMeths

314. Posted:

pixelman wrote:

What if you don't play as Link in the new Zelda, but instead play as a Link-wannabe character who you create/customize at the start, and it has some kind of multiplayer aspect to it.

Untitled

What, like full moons, silver bullets, and eyebrows that join in the middle?

AuthorMessage

Dreamz

315. Posted:

pixelman wrote:

If it's a prequel to WW (pre-flood years when Link was absent), then that would make a whole lot of sense.

There's already a prequel to WW - Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask.

AuthorMessage

HappyHappyist

316. Posted:

Dreamz wrote:

pixelman wrote:

There's already a prequel to WW - Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask.

anything that happens in hyrule between MM and WW doesn't makes sense. Hyrule was flooded because no one could fight Ganon.

i am part of a social group interested in uniting the world by painting it blue.
Blue blue.

AuthorMessage

DPad

317. Posted:

I'm kind of hoping that this time around you actually play as an adventuring Zelda. It'd be a nice change for the series, to change the starring character.

I command the following plan, obtain green stars & stamps!
MOST ANTICIPATED WiiU GAMES:
1. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
2. The Legend of Zelda U
3. Sonic BOOM
4. Mario Vs. Donkey Kong
5. Splatoon

AuthorMessage

SMEXIZELDAMAN

318. Posted:

It's a dood. Girls don't shoot bow and arrows or kill mosnters, they sit in towers awaiting their rescue.

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

AuthorMessage

Dreamz

319. Posted:

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

It's a dood. Girls don't shoot bow and arrows or kill mosnters, they sit in towers awaiting their rescue.

Zelda using a bow? What a silly thought!

Untitled

AuthorMessage

Kewlan

320. Posted:

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

Someone wants to have a word with you...
Untitled

ಠ_ಠ
Waiting for ShadowforSSB4 to take me up to the heavens.

Favorite Game List:
1#: Lufia 2
2#: Terraria
3#: Team Fortress 2

3DS Friend Code: 3153-4099-8763 | Nintendo Network ID: Kewlan