Wii U Forum

Topic: What if Link is gender neutral?

Showing 281 to 300 of 324

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

281. Posted:

shaneoh wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

While that's awesome for your niece and I'm glad she's enjoying some quality games, forgive me for being blunt about it, bit why do I care? I'm talking about my experience and what i'd like to see in a Zelda game

Why should I, or anyone else care about what you'd enjoy either?

If you didn't care, you wouldn't be attempting to use anecdotal evidence about one child as proof that all female gamers are actually okay with the status quo as-is and change in player-character representation in terms of (near-)silent protagonists isn't desired on any level. You're talking about what you want, not what she wants, because you can't speak for her (or anyone else for that matter).

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage

Einherjar

282. Posted:

Lets be honest here, Link IS pretty much gender neutral. At least when it comes to his appearance.
In OoT every kokiri wore the same tunic, in SW it was a uniform worn by all members etc. He has a rather feminin face and a pretty neutral physique overall.
He has no "character" and is pretty much a blank slate for the player. Sure, hes depicted to be heroic and brave, but thats just part of the job i guess and in no way a gender thing ;)
So yeah, if you ask me, it wouldnt change a thing about "him" is he suddenly became a she. To me, it doesnt even matter and i certainly wouldnt care about it.

Einherjar

3DS Friend Code: 3823-8503-1730 | Nintendo Network ID: EinherjarZX

AuthorMessage

eviLaTtenDant

283. Posted:

Neoproteus wrote:

What if Nintendo, rather that having the player select Link's gender as many fans have suggested, simply made an androgynous Link and spent the entire game avoiding gender pronouns to describe them?

I think when you do that it'd be very hard not to make the story segments sound too formulaic and stilted.

Edited on by eviLaTtenDant

Number 2? Says who? >=o]

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112

AuthorMessage

Aviator

284. Posted:

Octane wrote:

"Actually that comment I made jokingly. It's not that I said that it wasn't Link. It's that I never said that it was Link. It's not really the same thing, but I can understand how it could be taken that way. It seems like it has kind of taken off where people are saying 'oh it's a female character' and it just kind of grew. But my intent in saying that [was humour]. You know, you have to show Link when you create a trailer for a Zelda announcement.
"I don't want people to get hung up on the way Link looks because ultimately Link represents the player in the game. He's a vehicle. I don't want to define him so much that it becomes limiting to the players. I want players to focus on other parts of the trailer and not specifically on the character because the character Link represents, again, the player." - Eiji Aonuma

So... Link is still the same, get over it.

source: http://mmgn.com/wiiu/articles--mr-aonuma-talks-the-size-of-ze...

If anything that supports what most of us here have been saying.

Link represents the player, so why should females have to be represented by males?

In a way exhausting
we're problem solving
Drink 'til she's attractive
We're PARTYNAUSEOUS
Talking 'bout diplomatic
I brought my plastic
Making that peace attractive
We're PARTYNAUSEOUS
PSN: naviator_9

AuthorMessage

Octane

285. Posted:

Aviator wrote:

Octane wrote:

"Actually that comment I made jokingly. It's not that I said that it wasn't Link. It's that I never said that it was Link. It's not really the same thing, but I can understand how it could be taken that way. It seems like it has kind of taken off where people are saying 'oh it's a female character' and it just kind of grew. But my intent in saying that [was humour]. You know, you have to show Link when you create a trailer for a Zelda announcement.
"I don't want people to get hung up on the way Link looks because ultimately Link represents the player in the game. He's a vehicle. I don't want to define him so much that it becomes limiting to the players. I want players to focus on other parts of the trailer and not specifically on the character because the character Link represents, again, the player." - Eiji Aonuma

So... Link is still the same, get over it.

source: http://mmgn.com/wiiu/articles--mr-aonuma-talks-the-size-of-ze...

If anything that supports what most of us here have been saying.

Link represents the player, so why should females have to be represented by males?

Because it's a story, that's the way it works. "I don't want people to get hung up on the way Link looks because ultimately Link represents the player in the game. He's a vehicle.'' I don't think Aonuma ever intended Link to be a copy of the player, if anything, he's just an ''empty character'', a vehicle as he called it himself. As said many times before, there's no reason to change his gender, nor is there any reason to make him african, or asian, or whatever you can do with Link. Besides, I don't understand why male characters should even have this ''female'' option, to make it more fair. I don't complain about Samus' gender either.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

AuthorMessage

Usagi-san

286. Posted:

Einherjar wrote:

Lets be honest here, Link IS pretty much gender neutral. At least when it comes to his appearance.
In OoT every kokiri wore the same tunic, in SW it was a uniform worn by all members etc. He has a rather feminin face and a pretty neutral physique overall.
He has no "character" and is pretty much a blank slate for the player. Sure, hes depicted to be heroic and brave, but thats just part of the job i guess and in no way a gender thing ;)
So yeah, if you ask me, it wouldnt change a thing about "him" is he suddenly became a she. To me, it doesnt even matter and i certainly wouldnt care about it.

I'm not sure why I'm bothering with this but here you go:
http://www.zeldauniverse.net/features/30-minutes-with-eiji-ao...

In case you missed it from earlier you will find Aonuma himself saying that Link is not a blank slate.
You can also see the Iwata asks interview on Oot 3d to find Shigeru Miyamoto speaking about Link as a character.
This "blank slate" and "avatar" idea needs to die already. Link is a character, when you play a Zelda game you step into the shoes of a character who is designed to be someone you will want to play as.

Edited on by Usagi-san

"I never swear, my lord, I say yes or no; and, as I am a gentleman, I keep my word." - D'artagnan in Twenty Years After

AuthorMessage

shaneoh

287. Posted:

theblackdragon wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

While that's awesome for your niece and I'm glad she's enjoying some quality games, forgive me for being blunt about it, bit why do I care? I'm talking about my experience and what i'd like to see in a Zelda game

Why should I, or anyone else care about what you'd enjoy either?

If you didn't care, you wouldn't be attempting to use anecdotal evidence about one child as proof that all female gamers are actually okay with the status quo as-is and change in player-character representation in terms of (near-)silent protagonists isn't desired on any level. You're talking about what you want, not what she wants, because you can't speak for her (or anyone else for that matter).

I'm not saying any such things, one person does not equal the whole demographic. What I was saying there is that not everyone finds it a personal issue that you can only play as a single gender (whether it is the same gender as your own or not). Samus is one of my favourite characters and she doesn't need to change even though she is a (near-)silent protagonist. You might say that she can't change due to an already established story, but why not (it's always possible to reboot the series if Nintendo want)? ME3 allowed same sex relations across both sexes despite not having them in full in the previous games (there was one option for women in ME2, but not men). I'm not against women playable characters, I'd like to see some more done well. I'm hoping bayonetta turns out well.

Edited on by shaneoh

shaneoh

AuthorMessage

shaneoh

288. Posted:

Usagi-san wrote:

I'm not sure why I'm bothering with this but here you go:
http://www.zeldauniverse.net/features/30-minutes-with-eiji-ao...

Yeah you're just wasting your time, but I enjoyed it. Ta.

This thread is like I'm hitting my head against a brick wall. I said I was out, now I'm out for good.

shaneoh

AuthorMessage

Tophurion

289. Posted:

Why does it matter if Link is a girl or "gender neutral?" And what could that even mean? No more love interests in the game without it being a mess.

Link has always been a boy. Change in the name of change is not a good reason. There are necessary changes (i.e. old gameplay mechanics). And then there are unnecessary changes to appease a small minority of people who desire a gender neutral character. LoZ is an adventure game. Not a WRPG. It is a linear game with a specific story to tell. Let it tell its story. Don't like it? Vote with your wallet and don't play the game.

Tophurion

AuthorMessage

GuSolarFlare

290. Posted:

Tophurion wrote:

Why does it matter if Link is a girl or "gender neutral?" And what could that even mean? No more love interests in the game without it being a mess.

Link has always been a boy. Change in the name of change is not a good reason. There are necessary changes (i.e. old gameplay mechanics). And then there are unnecessary changes to appease a small minority of people who desire a gender neutral character. LoZ is an adventure game. Not a WRPG. It is a linear game with a specific story to tell. Let it tell its story. Don't like it? Vote with your wallet and don't play the game.

soon someone will come and say to you "Link is meant to represent the player so why do women have to play as a man?" and the same discussion will repeat itself.
and sincerely, I still belive that it's better let the pros working on the game decide what will happen next, if the result is bad all you gotta do is not buy it and hopefully the developers will get the message.

Edited on by GuSolarFlare

I was once a fighter in spirit alone, but not long ago I found something that was missing and became a fighter in body and mind too.
looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage

Dezzy

291. Posted:

skywake wrote:

The simplest definition of rational would be to base your decisions on evidence.

That does nothing to circumvent the problem that moral values are essentially axiomatic. You can't get evidence to support the claim that inequality is wrong. You have to accept that as an axiom before evidence can factor into it. So evidence isn't going to avoid the circularity and if your definition of rational is just 'whoever follows the evidence', then you end back at the claim I'd already made: "there are rational strands of all ideologies."

skywake wrote:

Yeah, if someone kept that up they would eventually be considered a bigot. Period. End of discussion.

It's only the end of discussion if you're eager to be closed minded about people who hold different views. That's exactly what happens when you use an emotionally crafted label like 'bigot'. When you call someone a bigot, you're not actually engaging in a rational argument. The label is very much a placeholder for saying "I no longer have to even try to argue with your position. It's obviously wrong so I'm just going to demonize you.". For me, that's just not a good way of dealing with people, no matter how damaging you think their beliefs are. And just to be clear, I'm not actually defending any of the beliefs that you would label 'bigotted'. I'm sure we'd agree on the status of those beliefs. I'm just defending people's rights to hold unpopular beliefs, without being bullied by the politically correct mob.

There was a really good TED talk on this very subject by the psychologist Jonathan Haidt. I recommend it if you've got 20 mins free. Might make you reconsider your attitude: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs41JrnGaxc

Let me know if any of that sounds persuasive.

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

AuthorMessage

Aviator

292. Posted:

Octane wrote:

I don't complain about Samus' gender either.

Because Samus isn't a vehicle for the players.

In a way exhausting
we're problem solving
Drink 'til she's attractive
We're PARTYNAUSEOUS
Talking 'bout diplomatic
I brought my plastic
Making that peace attractive
We're PARTYNAUSEOUS
PSN: naviator_9

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

293. Posted:

Aviator wrote:

Octane wrote:

Before Other M happened, she very much was. Are you saying you acknowledge Other M exists?
Untitled

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Dreamz

294. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Aviator wrote:

Octane wrote:

Before Other M happened, she very much was. Are you saying you acknowledge Other M exists?
Untitled

She was a vehicle for the player if you just went by the games. However, there was an entire Metroid manga series...and her character there matched what we saw in Other M (which I really enjoyed).

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U
Currently playing: Bayonetta

AuthorMessage

Pityflame

295. Posted:

Please don't be crude — TBD

but fo real tho, I don't think it matters too much... it would take like 30 seconds to get used to and that's about it lol

Edited on by theblackdragon

Pityflame

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

296. Posted:

Dreamz wrote:

She was a vehicle for the player if you just went by the games.

And we're not talking about supplimentary source material only super-hardcore fans would ever read, just like how we don't say "Masterchief is such a great and well-developed character in Combat Evolved because of all the events that only happened in the novels!"

...inb4Shinji_70...

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

297. Posted:

If I have to go to a different medium to appreciate characterization, you're a failure.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage

SpookyMeths

298. Posted:

Dreamz wrote:

She was a vehicle for the player if you just went by the games. However, there was an entire Metroid manga series...and her character there matched what we saw in Other M (which I really enjoyed).

Not that I agree with your argument here, but Zelda has a series of official manga too.

What, like full moons, silver bullets, and eyebrows that join in the middle?

AuthorMessage

Dreamz

299. Posted:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Dreamz wrote:

Not that I agree with your argument here, but Zelda has a series of official manga too.

I was only familiar with the Nintendo Power comic, but a quick google search turned up....quite a bit of Zelda mangas. o.O

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U
Currently playing: Bayonetta

AuthorMessage

SpookyMeths

300. Posted:

Dreamz wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Dreamz wrote:

I was only familiar with the Nintendo Power comic, but a quick google search turned up....quite a bit of Zelda mangas. o.O

If you have the Hyrule Historia, the last section in it is a manga prologue to Skyward Sword by Akira Himekawa (which I think is actually just a pen name for a writing duo). The same author has done full adaptations of most of the series, each with a fully characterized Link.

They're not canon of course, but I don't think you can call the Metroid manga canon either, though it is quite good.

What, like full moons, silver bullets, and eyebrows that join in the middle?