Forums

Topic: Was this E3 the final nail in the coffin for the Wii U?

Posts 361 to 380 of 543

Haru17

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Stationary (console and desktop) gaming isn't going away just because smart phones got popular, neither are the respective consoles. Know why? Because they sell, a lot. The demand is obviously still there, in droves and spades, no less, and it will continue to be met by companies who, whoa-aho, want to make money.

Selling a lot isn't enough. They need to profit. And the AAA market is proving itself less and less profitable every day not just because smartphones got popular, but because AAA games are getting expensive. These two factors combined will make AAA unsustainable at some point, so the console market will likely die out at that point and shift towards mobile and PC. Nintendo might hang on a little longer since it already scales back costs if they're smart enough, but they need mass market demographics the most to stay in business.

Thanks for the non sequitur, there.

Consoles and console games are selling loads, and are obviously profiting. Hint: companies tend not to sell products at a loss, because they like money. And those platform holders, developers, and publishers keep keeping on, so we can assume that they'll figure it out. The rate of graphical and open world increase is unsustainable now and will at some point, need to change course. But that's the thing, companies will make cuts, where they feel they need to, to profit.

I don't know the train of logic that takes you from reality to PCMR wet dream town. The PS4 is selling faster than the PS2: the biggest install base in gaming history. Obviously people still want console games, but AAA games are another matter entirely. So, yeah, keep up with those impotent expectations while the platform holders rake it in.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Haru17

DiscoGentleman wrote:

Companies will sell at a loss if it makes sense in the big picture for profit. Business 101.

:/ BUT OBVIOUSLY entire companies, much less industries, can't practice that anywhere near even 10% of the time, because they'd not please their stockholders as much. The vast majority of all products are sold at a significant profit, especially $400 computers.

DiscoGentleman wrote:

Reaaally don't get your hostility here. Nor your hostility in any of the previous posts. Are you not an adult who can have reasonable discussions with others?

Every time I disagree with someone that person should take it as a personal attack. That's right, I dislike you, reader! You should especially take the sides of someone who has played the victim after making snarky remarks, that's the only mature way to talk online.

Edited on by Haru17

AbsolutSnake

FYI if anyone is doubting NX is still OS/SW base. Think again.

This is from the Iwata/Shigy at the Nintendo's 75th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders June 26, 10 a.m.

AbsolutSnake

SCRAPPER392

Every nail is always the last one, but then there just keeps being nails. That's how it always is.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

UGXwolf

AbsolutSnake wrote:

FYI if anyone is doubting NX is still OS/SW base. Think again.

This is from the Iwata/Shigy at the Nintendo's 75th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders June 26, 10 a.m.

From the sounds of that post, Iwata plans to support Wii U and 3DS both until the NX drops. This says little on the portable or non-portable nature of the console, but Nintendo seems to realize (like we've been saying) that dropping the Wii U within the next couple years is a bad idea. So I'm calling it. NX is a handheld that may or may not have some home console integration that we can currently only dream of and when it drops, Nintendo will kill all 8th Gen support, no sooner than 2017, amd no later than 2019.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Haru17

That's the rhetoric they always take concerning hardware generation leaps. Remember how the DS was supposed to be a third system alongside the gameboy advance and gamecube? And then there were only DS handheld games for many years. That's what'll happen again because Nintendo exists in reality where there are limited resources.

Edited on by Haru17

iKhan

Reggie has already said NX is a console people. I don't like being wrong either (I was originally in the handheld camp), but we have to move on.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

jump

iKhan wrote:

Reggie has already said NX is a console people. I don't like being wrong either (I was originally in the handheld camp), but we have to move on.

No he hasn't, the quote is "We’ve also said publicly that we are already hard at work on our next home console and that’s another element we’ll be talking about much later."

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Grumblevolcano

We've got a very strong hint towards 2016 release, Nintendo's not talking about details this year because they're concerned the competition (Sony, Microsoft) will steal their ideas. If the console wasn't coming out in 2016 then announcing details in 2016 would allow the competitors to steal ideas.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/06/26/nintendo-quiet-on-nx-co...

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

HollywoodHogan

Grumblevolcano wrote:

We've got a very strong hint towards 2016 release, Nintendo's not talking about details this year because they're concerned the competition (Sony, Microsoft) will steal their ideas. If the console wasn't coming out in 2016 then announcing details in 2016 would allow the competitors to steal ideas.

Nintendo should steal Sony's ideas regarding making a console that people actually want to purchase

Friend to all SJW's

Sean_Aaron

Whatever they end up doing they can't drop network support for Wii U that quickly as they may well still have active online communities for Smash, Mario Kart, Splatoon and Xenoblade for quite some time. I'd also be surprised if they don't keep supplying DLC for those games as resource-wise that will be less intense than a new game and the revenue is proven. Not to mention which, no matter how quickly they release the NX there is no way I can believe it would launch with Mario Kart and Smash so they'll probably continue to offer Wii U bundles built around those games.

Regardless of how Nintendo wants to spin the relative lack of success of the Wii U, it points to a decline in the value of their IP in the world of gaming, otherwise games like Mario Kart and Smash would support the Wii U by themselves. I rather doubt having licensed sports games and the other few big titles on other consoles would change that and they have no way to ensure big publisher support in the NX, so how can they possibly turn this around? In fact contrary to the people who think that Nintendo will make a machine that's basically a PC like Microsoft and Sony, I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii U successor is a cheaper, less complex machine than the Wii U that is made with the idea that big publishers are gone for good and using stuff like Android emulation to get indie software on there without requiring them to target their kit at all. It would truly be a last gasp hardware push by Nintendo before throwing in the towel on dedicated systems and transitioning to a software/peripheral business based around mobile devices.

Edited on by Sean_Aaron

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

dumedum

Grumblevolcano wrote:

This actually makes sense seeing as how Sony and co stole all the previous ideas from Nintendo, including motion control etc.

arronishere wrote:

iKhan wrote:

No he hasn't, the quote is "We’ve also said publicly that we are already hard at work on our next home console and that’s another element we’ll be talking about much later."

When did they say though they were hard at work on their next home console? They said that they were hard at work on the NX.

So they said hard work on A
Reggie says hard work on B
Nintendo never said hard work on anything else
A=B

That's the way it is... I don't like it either but he pretty much said NX is a home console. Then again I don't want them to drop the 3DS either. Not to mention the Metroid quote also confirmed it ("we wouldn't start on a new Metroid for Wii U because in 3 years NX will show up").

Pigeon wrote:

But, god, I'm gonna be so upset if they try forcing a another gimmick [READ: GENIUS GAMING ADDITION] like the 3D in the 3DS, or the wiimotions in the Wii.

I'm going to be upset if they don't. There are already two boring dual analog stick, shooter consoles that had 10% upgrade in graphics this gen.

Edited on by dumedum

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

dumedum

Pigeon wrote:

dumedum wrote:

Pigeon wrote:

But, god, I'm gonna be so upset if they try forcing a another gimmick [READ: IDIOT IDEAS FORCED INTO GAMES WHERE NOT NEEDED, SOME OF WHICH HAVE NO EFFECT ON GAMEPLAY] like the 3D in the 3DS, or the wiimotions in the Wii.

I'm going to be upset if they don't. There are already two consoles with games that people actually want to play, with 3rd party support this gen.

Fixed for you. No need to thank me.

Those people do not include me though, and I would assume a lot of the Wii U owners. Since "those" people you mentioned would stick to these other consoles, there will be no demographics left. It doesn't make sense to push a third exact console. Nintendo tried to appeal to "regular folks" with the Gamecube. It didn't work out. Only the Nintendo faithful and a bit came over. With Wii U it again has the Nintendo faithful and lost that "bit" so the GC is more successful than the Wii U. But only with the Wii they actually expanded big time.

Edited on by dumedum

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

bitleman

Gamers these day want to play COD, Fifa, GTA. Any game not targeting this audience won't sell good. The examples are numerous. And this audience doesn't want a Nintendo system. The sales of existing third party games targeting this audience on WiiU show it. So Nintendo need to show there can be another audience. And they actually did it with the 3DS where Sony failed with the Vita.
Their main problem now it the 3DS is canibalizing the WiiU sales. Which is understandable. The 3DS is cheaper, offer games with same content as home consoles games and even has great Nintendo franchises the WiiU doesn't have (Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus Uprising, Pokemon). If the NX is a hybrid system they won't have the handicap to feed 2 systems in same time and will fully focus on one.

bitleman

Sean_Aaron

Pigeon wrote:

Your entire post raises some interesting points. But regarding this one, I honestly couldn't fathom how successful that is likely to be. It sounds like a VERY risky preposition to completely throw out 3rd party support in the hope that mobile games will gaming them support, considering people already have phones to play them on instead.

I get this idea, and considering how mobile games are HUGELY popular here in Japan, and seeing how Nintendo generally put the Japanese consumer first before the rest of the world, it wouldn't be surprising. And some mobile games nowadays are looking REALLY good, albeit still too simplistic for my tastes. However, I'm not sure if that's a console I'd be happy to invest in, along with most other games. I would seem like a system perhaps targeted too much at non-gamers.

Then again, people criticise Ninty for focusing too much on their core audience, so this could be the U turn some believe the company needs to make in order to survive. But... I dunno... something about this concept doesn't sit too well with me.

I look at Nintendo being in the same position as Sega with the Dreamcast, but having stronger IP than Sega did. Nintendo's problem is that they don't appear to have successfully grown a core fanbase sufficiently to sell a lot of machines. Their core IP is not enough. I think the problem with people who say "oh if only they copy MS/Sony they can get the sales because they'll have the multiplatforms," is that Nintendo systems sell on the back of Nintendo IP - not games you can buy for other machines including one you probably already own. Mario Kart is not going to convince someone to buy a Nintendo NX instead of another machine because if Mario Kart was that important to someone they'd want to play that regardless and would buy a Wii U. They need to ensure people buying their machine are buying their software first and foremost. If they're selling their hardware at a loss (and after the 3DS and Wii U launches they would have to assume that will be the case) then having system owners buying majority 3rd party software does not help them.

It could well be like some people are saying and NX will be a standalone tablet device with an emulation layer to run Android apps and VC content (which may include all previous consoles - excluding Wii U because it would be too demanding, but that could come in a future version), coming in multiple form factors just like devices you currently find in that marketplace. They could easily continue to use any existing Bluetooth controllers - including the Gamepad (I think someone mentioned this idea of Gamepad being sold as an optional NX peripheral in the NX board) for games that work better with non-touch controllers or for playing whilst connected to the TV, though I think having an external peripheral to enable streaming to TV - like the Wii U in reverse - would negate that possibility.

I think this might be a better value proposition for people who don't already have such a device; other people would need to decide if they're willing to invest in another similar device to play Nintendo IP. For my part an additional tablet that plays Nintendo games and works with my existing controllers and accesses my existing download software library (with the promise of Wii U being included in a future hardware update) seems like not a bad deal.

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

Azooooz

All we know that NX is a hardware, but is it a replacement for Wii U or 3DS or both? We don't know that answer yet.

The speculations in this thread is getting spiral out of control. That's why I'm trying not to engage in this kind of topic because some people are too sensitive to talk to.

NX could be a peripheral, or a third pillar of gaming. If you look at the diagram of last month's shareholders' meeting, NX clearly stands next to Wii U and 3DS. That's what I understood from the diagram.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

HollywoodHogan

WaveBoy wrote:

HollywoodHogan wrote:

Nintendo should steal Sony's ideas regarding making a console that people actually want to purchase

What Ideas?

Including a complete set of California Raisin figurines with each PS4

Friend to all SJW's

CaviarMeths

bitleman wrote:

Gamers these day want to play COD, Fifa, GTA. Any game not targeting this audience won't sell good. The examples are numerous. And this audience doesn't want a Nintendo system. The sales of existing third party games targeting this audience on WiiU show it. So Nintendo need to show there can be another audience. And they actually did it with the 3DS where Sony failed with the Vita.

Not at all. It says a lot that games like Mario Kart and Smash can still sell millions on an irrelevant console with an insignificant user base. Nintendo's games are desirable. They're just not enough on their own to make a console an attractive option for most consumers.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

rallydefault

CaviarMeths wrote:

bitleman wrote:

Not at all. It says a lot that games like Mario Kart and Smash can still sell millions on an irrelevant console with an insignificant user base. Nintendo's games are desirable. They're just not enough on their own to make a console an attractive option for most consumers.

Charged Word City, and you're the mayor.

rallydefault

Haru17

bitleman wrote:

Gamers these day want to play COD, Fifa, GTA. Any game not targeting this audience won't sell good. The examples are numerous. And this audience doesn't want a Nintendo system.

I love how pejorative many people talking in the same vein as this speak of PS & XB owners like they're some mythical cult of dude-bronies. On level, the equivalent stereotype of Nintendo owners is 'children' who can't handle mature games, which also isn't very nice.

Edited on by Haru17

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.