Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - OT

Posts 1,121 to 1,140 of 1,761

Ralizah

While I don't really agree in this case, I do think that certain things meant to hide a game's shortcomings can actually end up working very well for it. The most famous case I can think of is Silent Hill and its all-encompassing fog that was meant to hide the game's short draw distance outside. Yet it helped to establish the game's oppressive atmosphere of isolation.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Spoony_Tech

@Ralizah: That was the first and only one that came to my mind. Otherwise games like turok it was a bad hardware limitation and nothing more.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

renaryuugufan92

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Haru17: But the graphics look worse on the Wii version.

I've noticed this too between the old versions, its most likely due to the fact that the gamecube title was in 4:3 and the wii was stretched to 16:9 widescreen, thus on bigger tvs like my own it gets very blurry, very jaggy, and washed out.

Edited on by renaryuugufan92

Style Savvy Shop Code: R22M60G78 | XboxLive: NikkiChan92 | Steam: Nikki_chan92 | Switch FC: SW-0079-0452-6231

Switch Friend Code: SW-0079-0452-6231 | 3DS Friend Code: 0001-3400-5874

Haru17

renaryuugufan92 wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Haru17: But the graphics look worse on the Wii version.

I've noticed this too between the old versions, its most likely due to the fact that the gamecube title was in 4:3 and the wii was stretched to 16:9 widescreen, thus on bigger tvs like my own it gets very blurry, very jaggy, and washed out.

I never noticed that. I played the Wii version first, it got stolen and then the GC version later. I'd have to see them both simultaneously.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Dezzy

renaryuugufan92 wrote:

That makes no sense. The Wii didn't just take the 4:3 picture and stretch it. It just rendered it at 16:9 instead. Those are 2 different things.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

renaryuugufan92

Dezzy wrote:

renaryuugufan92 wrote:

That makes no sense. The Wii didn't just take the 4:3 picture and stretch it. It just rendered it at 16:9 instead. Those are 2 different things.

Then you explain why this is then, lets hear it. Untitled

Because the game was developed with the GameCube in mind in a 4:3 ratio just like Wind Waker was. 16:9 was a added selling point for the Wii version (and 480p which tbf shouldn't have been excluded from the GCN release) which in my experience is a good reason why the Wii version when displayed in 16:9 widescreen looks blurrier, and washed out than the GameCube version, of course a simple fix would be to just set your wii or wii u to 4:3. Another game that had this issue was Super Paper Mario.

So basically, developing a game for certain hardware at a given aspect ratio is completely different than haphazardly letting your console render it at a ratio the game wasn't designed for in the first place. The Wii or Wii U's vWii was no dolphin emulator when it came to Twilight Princess's rendering on screen. Thankfully TPHD is designed for it so this argument is obsolete. But I'd like to hear anything else to the contrary.

Edited on by renaryuugufan92

Style Savvy Shop Code: R22M60G78 | XboxLive: NikkiChan92 | Steam: Nikki_chan92 | Switch FC: SW-0079-0452-6231

Dezzy

renaryuugufan92 wrote:

Then you explain why this is then, lets hear it.

So basically, developing a game for certain hardware at a given aspect ratio is completely different than haphazardly letting your console render it at a ratio the game wasn't designed for in the first place. The Wii or Wii U's vWii was no dolphin emulator when it came to Twilight Princess's rendering on screen. Thankfully TPHD is designed for it so this argument is obsolete. But I'd like to hear anything else to the contrary.

I have no idea if you're even reporting a genuine difference! I never noticed it.
All I'm saying is your reasoning is faulty. The sentence "developing a game for certain hardware at a given aspect ratio" doesn't really mean anything in the context you're implying it does. Beyond things like in-game layout and scene management, people don't develop software based on the target resolution (which is why PC games tend to let you change it to any number of alternatives, and often even let you change the fov, which has an even bigger impact on the visual output)
I don't know much about hardware though. Maybe the Gamecube had a better capacity to upscale images or something like that?
A pretty good way of solving the issue would be to compare the Wii version with Gamecube version in Dolphin. That cuts out any hardware issues and just shows you the software. If there's a big difference between the 2, it's probably in the software. If there's not, it's either in the hardware or in your imagination. The human brain is pretty rubbish. You might've seen the Wii version as inferior purely because you liked the Gamecube as a console more. That's the sort of thing that genuinely happens. I've noticed it happen to me quite a few times!

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

renaryuugufan92

Dezzy wrote:

renaryuugufan92 wrote:

Then you explain why this is then, lets hear it.

I have no idea if you're even reporting a genuine difference! I never noticed it.
All I'm saying is your reasoning is faulty. The sentence "developing a game for certain hardware at a given aspect ratio" doesn't really mean anything in the context you're implying it does. Beyond things like in-game layout and scene management, people don't develop software based on the target resolution (which is why PC games tend to let you change it to any number of alternatives, and often even let you change the fov, which has an even bigger impact on the visual output)
I don't know much about hardware though. Maybe the Gamecube had a better capacity to upscale images or something like that?
A pretty good way of solving the issue would be to compare the Wii version with Gamecube version in Dolphin. That cuts out any hardware issues and just shows you the software. If there's a big difference between the 2, it's probably in the software. If there's not, it's either in the hardware or in your imagination. The human brain is pretty rubbish. You might've seen the Wii version as inferior purely because you liked the Gamecube as a console more. That's the sort of thing that genuinely happens. I've noticed it happen to me quite a few times!

Liked the GameCube as a console more? This isn't true for me at all since my favorite gaming memories stemmed from the Wii years of late high school and early college. Nothings more memorable then a group of college buddies having a mario kart wii or smash bros. tournament or a group play-through of Skyward Sword when it came out on multiple Wii's and tvs or a weekend speed-run match to see who could clear Mario Galaxy the fastest,...2011 was so long ago anyway back on topic since I made my point lol. Twilight Princess was my main reason for getting the Wii during the first few months of its life and I never played the Gamecube version until early college. Sure my signature does state that I've owned the N64 and Gamecube but they aren't a driving force in this argument at all despite the nostalgia I have for them. The GameCube and the Wii can scale games evenly given how identical they are minus a few hardware nitpicks. Its just on bigger tvs like my own Twilight Princess appears more crisp and colorful despite still having jaggies, and muggy textures in 4:3 than it does in 16:9 which I posted a pic of how washed out it looks on my tv a few posts or so back. Might even be how my tv handles it internally as a good deal of hdtvs do have their own internal up-scaling software which can mess with the look of old standard def games. If I'm making any sense.

renaryuugufan92

Back on topic I figured I'd share some links that lead to videos from the website Gamereactor. Enjoy

http://www.gamereactor.eu/grtv/?id=251443 a 2 hour live-stream of the game

&
http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/378143/New+gameplay+shows+off+... theirs a few more clips of the game here if anyone's interested in seeing them.

Spoony_Tech

@renaryuugufan92: @Dezzy: Not to butt in on your pleasant conversation but by chance when you did this video comparison were both versions running in 480p? Neither system came with the proper cables to display that resolution. It makes a huge difference.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

TuVictus

Octane wrote:

jariw wrote:

Digital Foundry's detailed comparison on what was (technically) changed in the remake:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-zelda-t...

Based on that video, this was posted on NeoGAF:
Untitled

They should've remade the existing trees instead, they look worse in HD.

Who says they didn't add anything to this game. Just look at everything they did. Like putting some trees waaaaay out in the background. They must have really broke a sweat doing that

Just kidding, of course. Don't wanna rustle too many jimmies. I'm just looking forward to playing through some of those temples again, which I feel are some of the best in the franchise.

TuVictus

Shinion

@jariw: I don't know how anyone can look at those two pictures and still claim that this is a 'lazy' port that had 'no effort' put into it because it looks 'exactly the same'. They're broken records at this point but they're like that most of the time anyway. So I suppose they'll continue. Great.

Shinion

jariw

TheLastLugia wrote:

@jariw: I don't know how anyone can look at those two pictures and still claim that this is a 'lazy' port that had 'no effort' put into it because it looks 'exactly the same'. They're broken records at this point but they're like that most of the time anyway. So I suppose they'll continue. Great.

If someone said the polygons of the character models or the music tracks were lazy ports, they would probably be correct. But as a product as a whole, it seems like TP:HD got much more care than WW:HD.

My guess is that the number one complaint after TP:HD has been released will be about the outdated camera handling.

Edited on by jariw

jariw

Eel

The sad part is that, while that may be true, Wind Waker HD still looks way better.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

jump

Morpheel wrote:

The sad part is that, while that may be true, Wind Waker HD still looks way better.

I still say I'd rather have a TP remake done in WW graphics, the bright toons would pop wonderfully off the dark edginess setting.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.