Wii U Forum

Topic: the reason why i think the WII u isnt selling

Showing 21 to 40 of 115

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Link-Hero

21. Posted:

Just like what happened with the 3DS's 1st year, lack of enticing games = low console sales. Once the software came, the 3DS started to sell like hotcakes.

Looks like the Wii U is going through nearly the exact same problem. So, when we see more games getting released for the Wii U, it will start selling better.

Even if the Wii U was as powerful or more powerful then the Xbone/PS4, it will still sell poorly if there are barely any worthwhile games on it.

Edited on by Link-Hero

Link-Hero

Nintendo Network ID: LinkHero25

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

22. Posted:

yeah now 3DS has games so now everything is selling to the point of it being a joke

"suddenly we're releasing a remake of a game a lot of you already have on Wii"
2 months later
"DKC3D near the top of the charts, Luigi's Mansion to never leave the top 20, Animal Crossing to eventually make enough money to buy a small nation" hyperbole on the latter but wow. I was expecting it to get better but not as immediately as it has. Pokemon isn't even on your new Nintendo handheld yet.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KAHN

23. Posted:

nintendo said they were targeting the hardcore audience with the WiiU, and so far, the hardcore audience is more interested in games offered by other consoles than Nintendo's first party "kiddie" games. these first party games are so far the only games or reasons to own a wiiU, at that.

Edited on by KAHN

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

24. Posted:

Maybe Nintendo's confusing situation is just trying to figure out what people who call themselves hardcore gamers want. From what I got from the internet, something that doesn't actually exist or could exist.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KAHN

25. Posted:

sorry, i'll try and explain. Nintendo got away with the Wii because they targeted it toward the casual audience. but with the WiiU, they said they were going after the same crowd as the PS360 and PS4/X1. i use the term "hardcore" because their last console (wii) was aimed towards the casual audience. and the "hardcore" audience would rather be playing games like halo or gears of war or god of war or Last of Us, not NSMBU or pikmin or W101 or SM3DW. way i see it, nintendo is going for a new audience, but they're still trying to keep this family friendly appearance.

Edited on by KAHN

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SkywardLink98

26. Posted:

The reasons I'm not buying a Wii U in the near future:
1. The PS4 is coming out and offers a better value for my money.
2. The Wii U has almost no 3rd party support.
3. It has few games that interest me.

There are no stupid questions, except for the ones that are.
Bergmite, Piloswine and Snover safari.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

27. Posted:

KAHN wrote:

"hardcore" audience would rather be playing games like halo or gears of war or god of war or Last of Us, not NSMBU or pikmin or W101 or SM3DW.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

the_shpydar

28. Posted:

Klimbatize wrote:

Joeybagofdonuts wrote:

sorry if my spelling is off im using a libary computer and this computer dosent seem to have spell check

This is an amazing sentence. Let me soak up the irony a bit.

I heart you, Silent Bob. :D

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 26 Copies. 2 Sealed, 7 CIB, 3 Boxed, 14 Cart-Only.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage
Avatar

doctor_doak

29. Posted:

The console had no momentum whatsoever upon release. You can't expect 3rd party developers to jump on board when the 1st party isn't even properly supporting the console with content of their own. Same story with the PS Vita. If Nintendo had properly prepared for launch, and told 3rd parties well in advance that they would have Super 3D Mario World, Pikmin 3, DK Country Returns, Zelda HD, Wonderful 101 all releasing in the launch window, and Mario Kart 8 later on in 2013, then I think we would've seen much more 3rd party support this year. There's no good reason why games like Tomb Raider, Castlevania: LOS2, Killer is Dead, Dark Souls 2, South Park : TSOT, and Murdered: Souls Suspect for instance, shouldn't be coming to the Wii U. Iwata dropped the ball again on a launch, and just obviously expected that people would buy a wii u regardless of the fact it had no games. Its only late 2013 - 2014 that we're actually going to see some software which promises to show what makes the gamepad unique from a gameplay experience.

$428 (AU) is a lot to pay for a console that has little-no 3rd party support and only intermittent 1st party support. $428 (AU) is a reasonable price to pay for a Wii U that has strong 1st party support, and roughly gamecube level (or slightly less) of 3rd party support in the first couple of years in particular. The specifics of hardware quirks isn't nearly as important I don't think. As Nintendo keep saying themselves, "its all about the games".

doctor_doak

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

30. Posted:

I disagree that the Hardcore crowd would rather be playing COD instead of say Wondeful 101. Those Halo every year guys are just as casual as the Wii Fit Crowed. I usually indicate Hardcore with the Neogaf crowd. As someone who would fall under hardcore my five favorite games this gen have been

As someone who probably falls into that Hardcore Category I would have loved to see Nintendo bring back more franchises or make new one that appeal to me. My ideal Nintendo E3 2013 would have been quite different than what Nintendo did. I would have had no mention ofduring the conference. My highlight showings would have been .

|3D Platformers
Super Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (As a 3D Metroid style Platformer)
Yarn Yoshi

[u]The Platinum Duo
The Wonderful 101
Bayonetta 2

WIi U OS updates (including the art academy miiverse content) that segeway until online heavy Nintendo Games.

System Sellers
Pikmin 3
Mario Kart 8
Pokemon X and Y
Smash Bros Wi U/3DS

Third Party slate for the guys who have on your side
Sonic: Lost WOrld
Mario and Sonic 2014
Shin Megmai Tensi IV
announce the revival of another classic SEGA IP
Rayman Legends
Scribblenauts
3DS third party reel

Eshop content reel with maybe having an indie developer on stage
Free to play Steel Diver
Super Luigi U
Earthbound release date
indie and VC showcase reels for Wii U/VC

RPGS
X by Monolith Soft trailer and small gameplay demo
A new retail game from Genius Sonority that isn't denpamen but has a similar Vibe to contrast X
Dragon Quest X Localization
Crystal Chronicles series return
Shin Megami Tensi X Fire Emblem Trailer
An Atlus WIi U game (next Devil Suvivor game perhaps)

Zelda
The WInd Waker
Link between two worlds
Zelda Wii U trailer

Probably asking for too much But I would have liked an actual press conference and more forth coming. Can just be trailers to get me hyped like everyone else did.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

31. Posted:

I think the biggest reason why it's not doing well, well, actually the number 1 reason would be software. Nintendo needs to learn to release their system with Smash Bros. or something equally as big. But secondly, it has no competition. As of right now, people see a Wii U and they wonder, "Why would I get this?" But, once the xbox 1 and ps4 come out (learn to count, m$) people will then start to wonder, "Should I get an xbox1, ps4 or Wii U?" And since the Wii U will be the cheapest, people who like gaming systems but don't want to spend a fortune will get a Wii U.

I really expect the Wii U to drop in price once the other systems come out. I know Nintendo keeps saying that there won't be a price drop, but didn't they keep saying that about the 3DS and then the 3DS dropped in price? It seems like a no-brainer to me. The ps4 will be, what? $400? So if the Wii U drops to $250, that's a big difference. Although, it probably won't drop that much. It'll probably just drop to like $279.99 or something. And I'd like to think that there would be an ambassador program for Wii U's early adopters, but I really doubt it.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

32. Posted:

DudeSean wrote:

But, once the xbox 1 (learn to count, m$)

Microsoft does know how to count. Its called Xbox One because they are marketing it as an all in one entertainment center. Its not called Xbox One as in the number of systems like Sony does with the PS.

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

33. Posted:

It was a joke...

Did you really think I was serious and really believed that microsoft didn't know how to count? The company responsible for all sorts of major software (operating systems) and hardware (game consoles)?

Edited on by DudeSean

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

34. Posted:

DudeSean wrote:

It was a joke...

Did you really think I was serious and really believed that microsoft didn't know how to count? The company responsible for all sorts of major software (operating systems) and hardware (game consoles)?

No I figure that you knew that MS knows how to count. I am just tired of people making that joke thats all. Its been done so many times now enough is enough.

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KAHN

35. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

KAHN wrote:

"hardcore" audience would rather be playing games like halo or gears of war or god of war or Last of Us, not NSMBU or pikmin or W101 or SM3DW.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

call me an idiot, but i think that microsoft and sony offer a more hardcore experience than Nintendo. maybe you're right, maybe i'm wrong. but i do know that nintendo isn't aiming the WiiU at the casual market like they did with the Wii. they admitted they were going to draw the hardcore audience back in with the WiiU, but they so far have failed. so far, the WiiU looks more like a console for kids than a console for adults like the PS4 and X1 (imo). so far, imho, i think the other upcoming systems, and other current systems offer a more hardcore experience than WiiU.

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MaximusMansteel

36. Posted:

As someone who doesn't own a WiiU, let me try to explain: I don't have a whole lot of money, and have to spend what I have as best as I can. Gaming is important to me but I'm not going to spend $350 for a console that simply doesn't have a great selection of games. I would absolutely love to play New Super Mario Bros U, and the Luigi expansion, I'm dying to play it. But I can't justify spending all that money on a console when only one game is really pulling me in.

Now that more games have been announced (especially the new Donkey Kong and Super Mario 3d World) I'm definitely planning on getting a WiiU, because I can see that Nintendo is going to finally deliver on enough games to justify the purchase. But, with that said, I would love a price drop on the WiiU. Does anyone out there believe we could see price cuts around the Christmas season?

Edited on by MaximusMansteel

MaximusMansteel

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

37. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

DudeSean wrote:

It was a joke...

Did you really think I was serious and really believed that microsoft didn't know how to count? The company responsible for all sorts of major software (operating systems) and hardware (game consoles)?

No I figure that you knew that MS knows how to count. I am just tired of people making that joke thats all. Its been done so many times now enough is enough.

Well, Xbox kinda asked for it. Just like the "Wii" jokes went on for about a year.

My favorite part, though, was when m$ unveiled the xbox 360 at e3 '05 and someone asked a microsoft rep why it was called "360" the rep had no idea. At least they have a reason for the 1, I guess. Still, it's a confusing and unimaginative name.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WebHead

38. Posted:

Obvious Reasons:

-Terrible Marketing
-Lack of 3rd party
-Small amount of 1st party
-Bad specs compared to PS4 and One

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

39. Posted:

WebHead wrote:

Obvious Reasons:

-Terrible Marketing
-Lack of 3rd party
-Small amount of 1st party
-Bad specs compared to PS4 and One

According to that logic the Wii would have been a failure.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WingedSnagret

40. Posted:

It's a combination of lack of games and lack of advertising. The thing is though, you can't have one without the other. Even if you sufficiently advertise it, while helpful, it won't do much since there aren't many big games to grab attention. Conversely, thought this isn't nearly as big an issue since the Internet can spread stuff around like lightning, even if a bunch of games were released it wouldn't help if there wasn't adverts for them.

Biggest Pikmin fan on NL!

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64