Wii U Forum

Topic: The PS4 Has Officially Outsold the Wii U In 2/3 Markets.

Showing 241 to 260 of 348

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

241. Posted:

@Jazzer94
Like say, they create a sitcom that always ends with people being obsessed with Miiverse, or there's a part of the TV show where they play 3DS, and people get pissed at each other for getting blue shelled in Mario Kart. Then, it's dinner time.

It would be a short part of the show, but it gives the idea that the Wii U and 3DS can affect your daily life in an entertaining way. This would all be played out in a full show with a plot that incorporates how the characters play video games on a daily basis.

There's alreasy been a few shows and instances like that, but they could make it a regular thing if they think it will make people aware and have positive opinions about their products.

EDIT: I'm not saying this will happen. I'm just throwing ideas out there, that they can go a step further than commercials if they find that to be a good marketing strategy.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

242. Posted:

Its a has bit crazy how Nintendo let the Wii's momentum die. In retrospect I would have put WiFi in the Wii mini and sold it as a low cost machine that can Di VC and Netflix targeting the Roku Market.

Going to be interesting Siny had their bug event on Tuesday showing off a lot of games and bow its Nintendo's turn.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

243. Posted:

@shingi_70
That may seem like a good idea, but Wii Mini gives the impression that they're done with Wii, and aren't going back.

If Wii Mini had online, they'd have to support more servers that that probably won't make any difference later on. They'd rather dedicate more resources to Wii U, but it still puts a product that offline Wii players will enjoy.

Nintendo isn't like Sony or Microsoft. They move onto the next thing pretty quickly. Sony and Microsoft still have Xbox 360 and PS3 to support, but Nintendo has nothing besides Wii U and 3DS, so Wii Mini makes sense to get away from 7th gen. That's my take.

EDIT: Also, considering they plan to move everything from Wii's shop to the eShop, it wouldn't make sense to support that for a device that they are explicitly telling people will be replaced with a new console that does that and more. It's a complete upgrade from Wii to Wii U, with no exceptions.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

Unca_Lz

244. Posted:

Maybe make a separate section on the eShop, but I don't think they're gonna allow the games to be played outside Wii mode. I suspect the Wii U may not be compatible with the Wii games.

Nintendo Life moderator and duck. Nintendo sux!

My Retrologgery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

245. Posted:

Unca_Lz wrote:

Maybe make a separate section on the eShop, but I don't think they're gonna allow the games to be played outside Wii mode. I suspect the Wii U may not be compatible with the Wii games.

I'm mainly talking that people will either upgrade to Wii U, or buy a device that specifically states that it won't go online.

Consumers have that choice. There's no contest between the Wii Mini and Wii U, so it makes it more obvious to just put down the cash for the new console that does more than the original, and especially more than the redesigned version. Otherwise they most likely already have a Wii, or are looking for the new thing(Wii U), anyway. If that makes sense.

EDIT: Also, if Wii Mini and Wii U are on the same shelf, it separates itself from the original. I think it makes the choice more clear that Wii U is new.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

246. Posted:

@SCAr392

Well the Wii mini was still just a normal Wii. They could shut every thing down expect the servers for the Wii Shop Channel which is still up anyway.

I think a $80-$90 console that could play Netflix, Mario Bros, and PAC man would have cleaned up between the Wii and Wii U.

I just hope we get an american annoucnment and close release date of that eshop soccer game.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

247. Posted:

@shingi_70
They're still cutting costs by getting rid of Wifi and and such, though. They also don't have to support online, on top of that, so it gives a cheaper option for both Nintendo and consumers that may have not been there otherwise.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

248. Posted:

@SCAr392

I get that I was just saying that a cheap WiFi Wii model would have been good around 2009 or so when the Wii was just starting to lose its mind share.

WAT!

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

249. Posted:

@shingi_70
I'm pretty sure they did that by cutting out the GCN BC. Oh well...

All that matters to Nintendo, is that they strongly support the Wii U that much more in exchange.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

Mahe

250. Posted:

shingi_70 wrote:

Its a has bit crazy how Nintendo let the Wii's momentum die. In retrospect I would have put WiFi in the Wii mini and sold it as a low cost machine that can Di VC and Netflix targeting the Roku Market.

Even better idea: cut off the Gamepad from Wii U, and make it the "New Wii". Without the Gamepad's touch screen, the "U" in the name and the logo doesn't make sense, so it would be named something else, like "New Wii", "Wii 2", "Wii HD" or maybe even "Super Wii".

Instead of Nintendoland, make Wii Sports 3 for launch. Completely new game with new sports (and some returning ones), instead of this belated Wii Sports Club HD rehash crap.

Suddenly, you've got a more powerful "Super Wii" that costs 100 dollars less than the Wii U, and works with the Wiimote in all games and applications. $249 for a "Deluxe" model (no gimped Basic pack even needed) and comes with Wii Sports 3, with New Super Mario Bros. Wii 2 as a separately sold co-launch game. It's a whole different console with none of the Gamepad crap that doomed the Wii U. It would have been so much better...

Edited on by Mahe

Mahe

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

251. Posted:

Eh Wii Sports Club was a good idea and Nintendo experimenting with the games as services deal that's going to be big next gen. The problem with it and the the Wii Fit U trail is that the Nintendo Network isn't really known as a thing. If the Woi U had a bit better install base and its online being as wide known as PSN or Live.

.were going to see a lot of games go as services and free to play so its better if Nintendo cuts its teeth now.

WAT!

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

252. Posted:

Mahe wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

$249 for a "Deluxe" model (no gimped Basic pack even needed)

The problem is, that the Deluxe SKU you're suggesting IS the "gimped" basic pack that you're saying isn't needed in your little parenthesis comment.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

Mahe

253. Posted:

shingi_70 wrote:

Eh Wii Sports Club was a good idea

Wii Sports Club is a disappointing poor-quality downgrade compared to the original Wii Sports, and the pricing scheme is ridiculous. It was a terrible idea.

SCAR392 wrote:

Mahe wrote:

$249 for a "Deluxe" model (no gimped Basic pack even needed)

The problem is, that the Deluxe SKU you're suggesting IS the "gimped" basic pack that you're saying isn't needed in your little parenthesis comment.

Follow me here: Nintendo released the gimped Basic pack because they needed to have a lower-priced console package available. It failed miserably. Everyone went for the version with 32 GB storage space and other useful accessories instead.

Now, remove the Gamepad, and you can bring the price down by $100. Now, you can sell a 32 GB console at $249, AND still include a game! No need for a cheaper Basic pack, and you've suddenly got a much more appealing console with 32 GB storage and a game at only $249! That would have been a better deal than both the Wii U console versions we got. Boom, instantly Wii U consoles sell more, and Wii U games sell more! The Wii U would be in a very different situation by now if they had released that configuration, and then perhaps later sold the Gamepad as an accessory.

Edited on by Mahe

Mahe

AuthorMessage

AJ_Lethal

254. Posted:

Mahe wrote:

Now, remove the Gamepad, and you can bring the price down by $100. Now, you can sell a 32 GB console at $249, AND still include a game! No need for a cheaper Basic pack, and you've suddenly got a much more appealing console with 32 GB storage and a game at only $249! That would have been a better deal than both the Wii U console versions we got. Boom, instantly Wii U consoles sell more, and Wii U games sell more! The Wii U would be in a very different situation by now if they had released that configuration, and then perhaps later sold the Gamepad as an accessory.

We got a little problem: it won't sell by itself. By your logic the Ouya will be flying off the shelves. People still doesn't know what the Wii U is.

Not to mention that XB360s and PS3 are also selling at 249 bucks with a BIGGER hard drive and a BIGGER library. Think about it.

deviantART

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

255. Posted:

AJ_Lethal wrote:

Mahe wrote:

We got a little problem: it won't sell by itself. By your logic the Ouya will be flying off the shelves. People still doesn't know what the Wii U is.

Not to mention that XB360s and PS3 are also selling at 249 bucks with a BIGGER hard drive and a BIGGER library. Think about it.

Not sure if he followed the other thread, but people brought that up countless times over there, and people still didn't get it...

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

256. Posted:

@Mahe
There is still software that requires the GamePad, and Xbox One and PS4 have Smartglass and PS Vita as a second screen option, so it's not going anywhere. That's why it's important that Nintendo keeps it to diversify their software library, many of which benefit or explicitly require the touch screen. This whole strategy is DS all over again.

The fact that people bought the more expensive SKU should be more than enough proof that people don't mind paying more for stuff that can enhance their experience. If anything, HDD space, charger stand, stand, and a game being bundled is less important than the GamePad. That's why Nintendo gave that as an option, but not the GamePad.

Besides, there's definitely a possibility that a Wii remote and nunchuck could be included at to retain the SKU value of $300, granted people are buying it.

EDIT: Also, they already are bundling software.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

Mahe

257. Posted:

AJ_Lethal wrote:

Mahe wrote:

Got one word for you: word-of-mouth. Okay, so that's a compound word of three words, but anyway. If you have a new Wii HD out there at $249, and it launches with Mario and Wii Sports 3, that's going to generate a lot more word-of-mouth than $349 and Nintendoland did. People would have known better about this alternate "Wii 2", because word-of-mouth would have spread faster, and it wouldn't have been such a hard sell as the Wii U was and is. All the marketing in the world can't replace positive word-of-mouth, and that's what the Wii U was lacking. The alternate "Wii 2" without the Gamepad would have gone a long way toward having more positive buzz.

AJ_Lethal wrote:

But the PS360 don't have Mario, and they don't have Wii Sports. Wii U also didn't have Wii Sports, and it was too expensive for Mario alone. Wii Sports 3 and $249 would have changed that.

Mahe

AuthorMessage

AJ_Lethal

258. Posted:

Mahe wrote:

Got one word for you: word-of-mouth. Okay, so that's a compound word of three words, but anyway. If you have a new Wii HD out there at $249, and it launches with Mario and Wii Sports 3, that's going to generate a lot more word-of-mouth than $349 and Nintendoland did. People would have known better about this alternate "Wii 2", because word-of-mouth would have spread faster, and it wouldn't have been such a hard sell as the Wii U was and is. All the marketing in the world can't replace positive word-of-mouth, and that's what the Wii U was lacking. The alternate "Wii 2" without the Gamepad would have gone a long way toward having more positive buzz.

That's funny, since there were a lot-of-word of mouth when the console launched (hello initial 3.61m units), but then the horrible software drought of 2013 happened. And there was almost no (good) advertising in that period, too. Which is not good.

Mahe wrote:

But the PS360 don't have Mario, and they don't have Wii Sports. Wii U also didn't have Wii Sports, and it was too expensive for Mario alone. Wii Sports 3 and $249 would have changed that.

But PS360 has GT, Forza, Halo, Uncharted, Gears of War... heavy hitting franchises with a lot of media buzz, both in . Mario 3D World (the closest thing to a killer app the Wii U has for now), didn't got as much buzz outside the gamer sphere.

deviantART

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

259. Posted:

Why? Why would $50 suddenly make the Wii U worth it for one or two games? If I really wanted a Wii U for a select few games, I would buy a lot off eBay. It'd be a helluva lot more value than anything Nintendo could come up with.

And before you give me the fanboy answer, remember that Not everyone absolutely needs Nintendo games. Not to say they wouldn't want it, but most people would be weighing their options between the two consoles, and at the very least the Gamepad adds value to the system - it allows for every game to have features not available on the other consoles, thus giving them a big perk - perks that the Wii U needs, since it's lacking in games right now. If you can't guarantee lots of games, at least guarantee that every game it does get will be unique!

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Mahe

260. Posted:

AJ_Lethal wrote:

Mahe wrote:

That's funny, since there were a lot-of-word of mouth when the console launched (hello initial 3.61m units)

Those were actually consoles shipped to retailers, not sold through to customers. And most of the consoles that were sold were thanks to New Super Mario Bros. Imagine if it had been New SMB, Wii Sports 3 and $249. There's just no way you can claim that wouldn't have generated more positive word-of-mouth.

AJ_Lethal wrote:

Mahe wrote:

But PS360 has GT, Forza, Halo, Uncharted, Gears of War...

Are you serious? Who cares about those boring games? Ok, Halo is a big seller, but even Halo is in decline. Those others... the latest paymium Forza has become a joke. Sony gives Uncharted away for free to boost its "sales figures". GT was in huge decline on the PS3 and Gears is practically a goner now. If the PS360 library was limited to those games, it would be completely laughable.

Edited on by Mahe

Mahe