Wii U Forum

Topic: The PS4 Has Officially Outsold the Wii U In 2/3 Markets.

Showing 221 to 240 of 345

AuthorMessage
MikeLove

MikeLove

221. Posted:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

@JohnRedcorn Dude there was a lot of people on these forums saying PS4 and XB1 launches would not be any better than the Wii U. Trust me. Example a doesn't apply too well since Wii outsold both PS3 and 360.

Which consoles had the most momentum going for them at the end of the last generation?
Which consoles didn't leave their owners feeling like they were ripped off as big releases began to slow to a trickle around 2010?

Tip: Not the Wii

Also, I wouldn't judge "success" just based on volume of sales alone. The Wii sold a ton at the start then sales dropped off a cliff, while the other systems started slow then increased in sales. The Wii left a lot of consumers feeling like they had been ripped off because the console was virtually abandoned during the last couple years of its life, while the PS3/360 are still going strong and receiving strong software support.

Edited on by MikeLove

MikeLove

AuthorMessage
SCAR

SCAR

222. Posted:

@kkslider5552000
Good point. I agree that Nintendo's later Wii support was lackluster, while PS3 was still getting Killzone, PS Battle Royal, and Nu Ni Kuni. If you consider that Sony was expecting to sell PS3 for another 4 years after Wii U launched, it gives more perspective on it being difficult to release another console to start all over. Seeing as Wii was basically a 6th gen motion machine, it shouldn't surprise anyone that Nintendo had to release a new console sooner than that. Sony probably didn't even need to release the PS4, because PS3 is finally not being sold at a loss and arguably can still supply some good games, but releasing PS4 and even Vita cuts PSP and PS3's actual lifecycles in half, IMO.

Edited on by SCAR

$¢@®

AuthorMessage
Jazzer94Staff

Jazzer94

223. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

@Jazzer94
The same can be said about Nintendo. GBA, DS, and Wii all sold over 100 million consoles, so what's your point?
http://www.gamnesia.com/articles/nintendos-lifetime-hardware-...

Even the NES sold gangbusters at around 60 million. Not only that, but what you're saying is relevant, happened years ago. You're going to have to go into more detail about why it matters.

@shingi_70
Ya, really. PS4 owners have an exclusive game that is comparable, but still admittedly different, and still decided to buy the multiplat game tat comes out every year.

EDIT: @Unca_LZ
I didn't see anymore hype than what I thought the Wii U had, so I didn't make anything of it.

I specifically said home console for a reason and I was pointing out how each Sony home console has been successful because Sony know how to market them appropriately, why do you have to jump down peoples throat.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage
BinaryFragger

BinaryFragger

224. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Even ignoring the validity of the idea, I'm going with PS4's success and Wii U's issues being traced back to their previous consoles' later support because I will never be more disappointed with Nintendo than the time they let NOTHING come out over here between Mario Sports Mix and Kirby while also having a terrible launch window for their new handheld. I mean they righted a wrong a few months later as you all know, but that killed Nintendo's momentum in a way I have not seen since Microsoft bought Rare. Especially bad since I was hardcore Wii defender before that point.

Yeah, I feel that the Wii was pretty much abandoned after Mario Galaxy's 2 release in 2010. We got a game here and there (like Kirby and Zelda), but not a whole lot. What's even more annoying, the fans were practically BEGGING Nintendo of America to release Xenoblade and The Last Story because they had nothing left to play after Skyword Sword, and Nintendo seemed uninterested in doing so. Then when they finally released Xenoblade, they did so in limited quantities and only at GameStop and Nintendo Online Store.

I hope Nintendo doesn't make the same mistake with the 3DS, which is on a roll right now.

BinaryFragger

Nintendo Network ID: binaryfragger

AuthorMessage
SCAR

SCAR

225. Posted:

Jazzer94 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@Jazzer94
The same can be said about Nintendo. GBA, DS, and Wii all sold over 100 million consoles, so what's your point?
http://www.gamnesia.com/articles/nintendos-lifetime-hardware-...

Even the NES sold gangbusters at around 60 million. Not only that, but what you're saying is relevant, happened years ago. You're going to have to go into more detail about why it matters.

@shingi_70
Ya, really. PS4 owners have an exclusive game that is comparable, but still admittedly different, and still decided to buy the multiplat game tat comes out every year.

EDIT: @Unca_LZ
I didn't see anymore hype than what I thought the Wii U had, so I didn't make anything of it.

I specifically said home console for a reason and I was pointing out how each Sony home console has been successful because Sony know how to market them appropriately, why do you have to jump down peoples throat.

Well, that still doesn't exactly mean anything if all you say is that PS1 & 2 sold well. That's a given. You didn't say anything about marketing at all.

I don't get what you mean by jumping down people's throats. I was just asking you to further access why that those numbers matter. Most of these consoles were heavily marketed. PS3 still continues to be heavily marketed, but it never even made an money.

$¢@®

AuthorMessage
BinaryFragger

BinaryFragger

226. Posted:

JohnRedcorn wrote:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

@JohnRedcorn Dude there was a lot of people on these forums saying PS4 and XB1 launches would not be any better than the Wii U. Trust me. Example a doesn't apply too well since Wii outsold both PS3 and 360.

Which consoles had the most momentum going for them at the end of the last generation?
Which consoles didn't leave their owners feeling like they were ripped off as big releases began to slow to a trickle around 2010?

Tip: Not the Wii

Also, I wouldn't judge "success" just based on volume of sales alone. The Wii sold a ton at the start then sales dropped off a cliff, while the other systems started slow then increased in sales. The Wii left a lot of consumers feeling like they had been ripped off because the console was virtually abandoned during the last couple years of its life, while the PS3/360 are still going strong and receiving strong software support.

Exactly. The Wii sold like crazy at first, but by 2009/2010, Craigslist and eBay were absolutely full of used Wiis. A lot of people bought the system only for Wii Sports and Wii Fit and got bored after a few months. Those of us who kept the system were eventually treated to Skyward Sword and Xenoblade but to the majority of casual gamers who bought the system, the Wii was yesterday's news.
Compare that to the PS3, which kept getting huge new releases like Ni no Kuni, The Last of Us, Gran Turismo 6, GTA5 and Minecraft very late in the console's life. Ironically, the PS3 was being called a failure in its early days but has really taken off the past few years with some of its best games being released shortly before the PS4's launch.

BinaryFragger

Nintendo Network ID: binaryfragger

AuthorMessage
DualWielding

DualWielding

227. Posted:

JohnRedcorn wrote:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

@JohnRedcorn Dude there was a lot of people on these forums saying PS4 and XB1 launches would not be any better than the Wii U. Trust me. Example a doesn't apply too well since Wii outsold both PS3 and 360.

Which consoles had the most momentum going for them at the end of the last generation?
Which consoles didn't leave their owners feeling like they were ripped off as big releases began to slow to a trickle around 2010?

Tip: Not the Wii

Also, I wouldn't judge "success" just based on volume of sales alone. The Wii sold a ton at the start then sales dropped off a cliff, while the other systems started slow then increased in sales. The Wii left a lot of consumers feeling like they had been ripped off because the console was virtually abandoned during the last couple years of its life, while the PS3/360 are still going strong and receiving strong software support.

This no further explanation needed the consoles are selling according to their predecessors momentum..... PS3 had the best momentum at the end of the generation, 360 had decent momentum and Wii had zero momentum (Wii did better at the beginning of the generation and 360 did better in the middle of the generation but for next gen console sales what matter is who had the momentum at the end of the previous generation and it was the PS3)

PSN: Fertheseeker

AuthorMessage
Mahe

Mahe

228. Posted:

BinaryFragger wrote:

Exactly. The Wii sold like crazy at first, but by 2009/2010, Craigslist and eBay were absolutely full of used Wiis. A lot of people bought the system only for Wii Sports and Wii Fit and got bored after a few months.

This is just complete misinformation. Have you seen the Wii software sales? Something like 900 million games. Those don't come from Wii Sports and Wii Fit alone. Just this past year, the Wii version of Just Dance 2014 was by far the best-selling version of the game, once again. And Mario Kart Wii sold a million more on top of all the previous millions. People are still buying Wii games - more than they are buying Wii U games!

Just look at Ubisoft: 11 % of their sales the past two quarters were from Wii, with only 2 % from Wii U despite new games: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/02/just_2_percent_of_ub...

Wii owners are still playing their consoles, and of course there are a lot of them used, because it has been out for 7 years, after all. But if Nintendo hadn't diverted their resources to saving the 3DS and then to making Wii U software, the Wii could still be going. Imagine what would have happened if Wii had got Wii Sports 3 or New Super Mario Bros. Wii 2 and other high-profile releases on top of what games it got in its last years.

As for the Wii U, I'm actually considering replacing it with a PS3 or PS4 as my main console, just so I don't have to play with the stupid Gamepad. The way that controller is forced upon you is so obnoxious.

Edited on by Mahe

Mahe

AuthorMessage
Jazzer94Staff

Jazzer94

229. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Jazzer94 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@Jazzer94
The same can be said about Nintendo. GBA, DS, and Wii all sold over 100 million consoles, so what's your point?
http://www.gamnesia.com/articles/nintendos-lifetime-hardware-...

Even the NES sold gangbusters at around 60 million. Not only that, but what you're saying is relevant, happened years ago. You're going to have to go into more detail about why it matters.

@shingi_70
Ya, really. PS4 owners have an exclusive game that is comparable, but still admittedly different, and still decided to buy the multiplat game tat comes out every year.

EDIT: @Unca_LZ
I didn't see anymore hype than what I thought the Wii U had, so I didn't make anything of it.

I specifically said home console for a reason and I was pointing out how each Sony home console has been successful because Sony know how to market them appropriately, why do you have to jump down peoples throat.

Well, that still doesn't exactly mean anything if all you say is that PS1 & 2 sold well. That's a given. You didn't say anything about marketing at all.

I don't get what you mean by jumping down people's throats. I was just asking you to further access why that those numbers matter. Most of these consoles were heavily marketed. PS3 still continues to be heavily marketed, but it never even made an money.

Do I have to when the previous post is talking about hype which is directly linked to marketing.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage
SCAR

SCAR

230. Posted:

@Jazzer94
Ya, because commercials don't really affect everyone. I've seen plenty of commercials about Xbox One and PS4, but I haven't seen that many for Wii U. It still doesn't change my opinion.

So ya. Marketing might or might not be important, depending on the person, but it would be important to me as an individual, if it gave me any information that I didn't know about, otherwise.

EDIT: I'm not saying marketing is entirely pointless, but I also realize that it needs to be something that can actually change an opinion, otherwise it's not that effective, if at all.

EDIT2: BTW, Nintendo Directs are a form of marketing, but there isn't a Nintendo show on TV, for example, so maybe that's something they're looking into. Who knows?

Edited on by SCAR

$¢@®

AuthorMessage
MikeLove

MikeLove

231. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

@Jazzer94
Ya, because commercials don't really affect everyone. I've seen plenty of commercials about Xbox One and PS4, but I haven't seen that many for Wii U. It still doesn't change my opinion.

So ya. Marketing might or might not be important, depending on the person, but it would be important to me as an individual, if it gave me any information that I didn't know about, otherwise.

EDIT: I'm not saying marketing is entirely pointless, but I also realize that it needs to be something that can actually change an opinion, otherwise it's not that effective, if at all.

EDIT2: BTW, Nintendo Directs are a form of marketing, but there isn't a Nintendo show, so maybe that's something they're looking into.

Wii-U had ZERO marketing = a year later, most consumers still don't know what a Wii-U is

MikeLove

AuthorMessage
Super_Gravy

Super_Gravy

232. Posted:

I still think Nintendo should of showing it on E3 for the TV. I mean everyone detect to PS4 from Xbox One since the E3. I don't think most of them realize that Xbox One drop the DRM plan.

Umm… Care to have some gravy?

AuthorMessage
SCAR

SCAR

233. Posted:

JohnRedcorn wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@Jazzer94
Ya, because commercials don't really affect everyone. I've seen plenty of commercials about Xbox One and PS4, but I haven't seen that many for Wii U. It still doesn't change my opinion.

So ya. Marketing might or might not be important, depending on the person, but it would be important to me as an individual, if it gave me any information that I didn't know about, otherwise.

EDIT: I'm not saying marketing is entirely pointless, but I also realize that it needs to be something that can actually change an opinion, otherwise it's not that effective, if at all.

EDIT2: BTW, Nintendo Directs are a form of marketing, but there isn't a Nintendo show, so maybe that's something they're looking into.

Wii-U had ZERO marketing = a year later, most consumers still don't know what a Wii-U is

So what's the difference between knowing about Wii U, before it is released, and year after it's release? That would be the real question, IMO.

$¢@®

AuthorMessage
Jazzer94Staff

Jazzer94

234. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

EDIT2: BTW, Nintendo Directs are a form of marketing, but there isn't a Nintendo show on TV, for example, so maybe that's something they're looking into. Who knows?

Nintendo Directs as much as I enjoy them are a form of marketing to people who have already brought their devices and do little to bring in new consumers and btw of course marketing is important to get new customers.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage
SCAR

SCAR

235. Posted:

Jazzer94 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

EDIT2: BTW, Nintendo Directs are a form of marketing, but there isn't a Nintendo show on TV, for example, so maybe that's something they're looking into. Who knows?

Nintendo Directs as much as I enjoy them are a form of marketing to people who have already brought their devices and do little to bring in new consumers and btw of course marketing is important to get new customers.

All I'm getting from the Nintendo Directs, is that they need to be able to give that sort of information to a bigger demographic. Say, for example, this Nintendo show that entertains viewers while informing them about products, replaces the Nintendo Directs.

Everyone that followed Nintendo's news carefully, would be getting the same information about their products and projects as anyone else who watches the show for whatever reason.

EDIT: That Nintendo info stream that was on Wii Nintendo Channel is a pretty good example, or maybe Nintendo Video on the 3DS.

Edited on by SCAR

$¢@®

AuthorMessage
Jazzer94Staff

Jazzer94

236. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

EDIT: That Nintendo info stream that was on Wii Nintendo Channel is a pretty good example, or maybe Nintendo Video on the 3DS.

But then they are still only directing their marketing at people who own their devices while failing to bring in new consumers.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage
SCAR

SCAR

237. Posted:

Jazzer94 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

EDIT: That Nintendo info stream that was on Wii Nintendo Channel is a pretty good example, or maybe Nintendo Video on the 3DS.

But then they are still only directing their marketing at people who own their devices while failing to bring in new consumers.

That's why it's supposed to be entertaining for everyone. Another example would be The Wizard. I don't specifically know how popular that movie was, but it made people aware of Super Mario Bros. 3, so tons of people bought it when it came out.

They need to combine entertainment with information, IMO.

$¢@®

AuthorMessage
SCAR

SCAR

238. Posted:

@Jazzer94
Like say, they create a sitcom that always ends with people being obsessed with Miiverse, or there's a part of the TV show where they play 3DS, and people get pissed at each other for getting blue shelled in Mario Kart. Then, it's dinner time.

It would be a short part of the show, but it gives the idea that the Wii U and 3DS can affect your daily life in an entertaining way. This would all be played out in a full show with a plot that incorporates how the characters play video games on a daily basis.

There's alreasy been a few shows and instances like that, but they could make it a regular thing if they think it will make people aware and have positive opinions about their products.

EDIT: I'm not saying this will happen. I'm just throwing ideas out there, that they can go a step further than commercials if they find that to be a good marketing strategy.

Edited on by SCAR

$¢@®

AuthorMessage
shingi_70

shingi_70

239. Posted:

Its a has bit crazy how Nintendo let the Wii's momentum die. In retrospect I would have put WiFi in the Wii mini and sold it as a low cost machine that can Di VC and Netflix targeting the Roku Market.

Going to be interesting Siny had their bug event on Tuesday showing off a lot of games and bow its Nintendo's turn.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
SCAR

SCAR

240. Posted:

@shingi_70
That may seem like a good idea, but Wii Mini gives the impression that they're done with Wii, and aren't going back.

If Wii Mini had online, they'd have to support more servers that that probably won't make any difference later on. They'd rather dedicate more resources to Wii U, but it still puts a product that offline Wii players will enjoy.

Nintendo isn't like Sony or Microsoft. They move onto the next thing pretty quickly. Sony and Microsoft still have Xbox 360 and PS3 to support, but Nintendo has nothing besides Wii U and 3DS, so Wii Mini makes sense to get away from 7th gen. That's my take.

EDIT: Also, considering they plan to move everything from Wii's shop to the eShop, it wouldn't make sense to support that for a device that they are explicitly telling people will be replaced with a new console that does that and more. It's a complete upgrade from Wii to Wii U, with no exceptions.

Edited on by SCAR

$¢@®