Forums

Topic: The PS4 Has Officially Outsold the Wii U In 2/3 Markets.

Posts 221 to 240 of 337

SCRAPPER392

Jazzer94 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@Jazzer94
The same can be said about Nintendo. GBA, DS, and Wii all sold over 100 million consoles, so what's your point?
http://www.gamnesia.com/articles/nintendos-lifetime-hardware-...

Even the NES sold gangbusters at around 60 million. Not only that, but what you're saying is relevant, happened years ago. You're going to have to go into more detail about why it matters.

@shingi_70
Ya, really. PS4 owners have an exclusive game that is comparable, but still admittedly different, and still decided to buy the multiplat game tat comes out every year.

EDIT: @Unca_LZ
I didn't see anymore hype than what I thought the Wii U had, so I didn't make anything of it.

I specifically said home console for a reason and I was pointing out how each Sony home console has been successful because Sony know how to market them appropriately, why do you have to jump down peoples throat.

Well, that still doesn't exactly mean anything if all you say is that PS1 & 2 sold well. That's a given. You didn't say anything about marketing at all.

I don't get what you mean by jumping down people's throats. I was just asking you to further access why that those numbers matter. Most of these consoles were heavily marketed. PS3 still continues to be heavily marketed, but it never even made an money.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

DualWielding

JohnRedcorn wrote:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

@JohnRedcorn Dude there was a lot of people on these forums saying PS4 and XB1 launches would not be any better than the Wii U. Trust me. Example a doesn't apply too well since Wii outsold both PS3 and 360.

Which consoles had the most momentum going for them at the end of the last generation?
Which consoles didn't leave their owners feeling like they were ripped off as big releases began to slow to a trickle around 2010?

Tip: Not the Wii

Also, I wouldn't judge "success" just based on volume of sales alone. The Wii sold a ton at the start then sales dropped off a cliff, while the other systems started slow then increased in sales. The Wii left a lot of consumers feeling like they had been ripped off because the console was virtually abandoned during the last couple years of its life, while the PS3/360 are still going strong and receiving strong software support.

This no further explanation needed the consoles are selling according to their predecessors momentum..... PS3 had the best momentum at the end of the generation, 360 had decent momentum and Wii had zero momentum (Wii did better at the beginning of the generation and 360 did better in the middle of the generation but for next gen console sales what matter is who had the momentum at the end of the previous generation and it was the PS3)

PSN: Fertheseeker

Mahe

BinaryFragger wrote:

Exactly. The Wii sold like crazy at first, but by 2009/2010, Craigslist and eBay were absolutely full of used Wiis. A lot of people bought the system only for Wii Sports and Wii Fit and got bored after a few months.

This is just complete misinformation. Have you seen the Wii software sales? Something like 900 million games. Those don't come from Wii Sports and Wii Fit alone. Just this past year, the Wii version of Just Dance 2014 was by far the best-selling version of the game, once again. And Mario Kart Wii sold a million more on top of all the previous millions. People are still buying Wii games - more than they are buying Wii U games!

Just look at Ubisoft: 11 % of their sales the past two quarters were from Wii, with only 2 % from Wii U despite new games: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/02/just_2_percent_of_ub...

Wii owners are still playing their consoles, and of course there are a lot of them used, because it has been out for 7 years, after all. But if Nintendo hadn't diverted their resources to saving the 3DS and then to making Wii U software, the Wii could still be going. Imagine what would have happened if Wii had got Wii Sports 3 or New Super Mario Bros. Wii 2 and other high-profile releases on top of what games it got in its last years.

As for the Wii U, I'm actually considering replacing it with a PS3 or PS4 as my main console, just so I don't have to play with the stupid Gamepad. The way that controller is forced upon you is so obnoxious.

Edited on by Mahe

Mahe

Jazzer94

SCAR392 wrote:

Jazzer94 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@Jazzer94
The same can be said about Nintendo. GBA, DS, and Wii all sold over 100 million consoles, so what's your point?
http://www.gamnesia.com/articles/nintendos-lifetime-hardware-...

Even the NES sold gangbusters at around 60 million. Not only that, but what you're saying is relevant, happened years ago. You're going to have to go into more detail about why it matters.

@shingi_70
Ya, really. PS4 owners have an exclusive game that is comparable, but still admittedly different, and still decided to buy the multiplat game tat comes out every year.

EDIT: @Unca_LZ
I didn't see anymore hype than what I thought the Wii U had, so I didn't make anything of it.

I specifically said home console for a reason and I was pointing out how each Sony home console has been successful because Sony know how to market them appropriately, why do you have to jump down peoples throat.

Well, that still doesn't exactly mean anything if all you say is that PS1 & 2 sold well. That's a given. You didn't say anything about marketing at all.

I don't get what you mean by jumping down people's throats. I was just asking you to further access why that those numbers matter. Most of these consoles were heavily marketed. PS3 still continues to be heavily marketed, but it never even made an money.

Do I have to when the previous post is talking about hype which is directly linked to marketing.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

SCRAPPER392

@Jazzer94
Ya, because commercials don't really affect everyone. I've seen plenty of commercials about Xbox One and PS4, but I haven't seen that many for Wii U. It still doesn't change my opinion.

So ya. Marketing might or might not be important, depending on the person, but it would be important to me as an individual, if it gave me any information that I didn't know about, otherwise.

EDIT: I'm not saying marketing is entirely pointless, but I also realize that it needs to be something that can actually change an opinion, otherwise it's not that effective, if at all.

EDIT2: BTW, Nintendo Directs are a form of marketing, but there isn't a Nintendo show on TV, for example, so maybe that's something they're looking into. Who knows?

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

MikeLove

SCAR392 wrote:

@Jazzer94
Ya, because commercials don't really affect everyone. I've seen plenty of commercials about Xbox One and PS4, but I haven't seen that many for Wii U. It still doesn't change my opinion.

So ya. Marketing might or might not be important, depending on the person, but it would be important to me as an individual, if it gave me any information that I didn't know about, otherwise.

EDIT: I'm not saying marketing is entirely pointless, but I also realize that it needs to be something that can actually change an opinion, otherwise it's not that effective, if at all.

EDIT2: BTW, Nintendo Directs are a form of marketing, but there isn't a Nintendo show, so maybe that's something they're looking into.

Wii-U had ZERO marketing = a year later, most consumers still don't know what a Wii-U is

MikeLove

Super_Gravy

I still think Nintendo should of showing it on E3 for the TV. I mean everyone detect to PS4 from Xbox One since the E3. I don't think most of them realize that Xbox One drop the DRM plan.

Umm… Care to have some gravy?

SCRAPPER392

JohnRedcorn wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@Jazzer94

EDIT2: BTW, Nintendo Directs are a form of marketing, but there isn't a Nintendo show, so maybe that's something they're looking into.

Wii-U had ZERO marketing = a year later, most consumers still don't know what a Wii-U is

So what's the difference between knowing about Wii U, before it is released, and year after it's release? That would be the real question, IMO.

Qwest

Jazzer94

SCAR392 wrote:

EDIT2: BTW, Nintendo Directs are a form of marketing, but there isn't a Nintendo show on TV, for example, so maybe that's something they're looking into. Who knows?

Nintendo Directs as much as I enjoy them are a form of marketing to people who have already brought their devices and do little to bring in new consumers and btw of course marketing is important to get new customers.

My YouTube
The Jazzloggery

SCRAPPER392

Jazzer94 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Nintendo Directs as much as I enjoy them are a form of marketing to people who have already brought their devices and do little to bring in new consumers and btw of course marketing is important to get new customers.

All I'm getting from the Nintendo Directs, is that they need to be able to give that sort of information to a bigger demographic. Say, for example, this Nintendo show that entertains viewers while informing them about products, replaces the Nintendo Directs.

Everyone that followed Nintendo's news carefully, would be getting the same information about their products and projects as anyone else who watches the show for whatever reason.

EDIT: That Nintendo info stream that was on Wii Nintendo Channel is a pretty good example, or maybe Nintendo Video on the 3DS.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

Jazzer94

SCAR392 wrote:

EDIT: That Nintendo info stream that was on Wii Nintendo Channel is a pretty good example, or maybe Nintendo Video on the 3DS.

But then they are still only directing their marketing at people who own their devices while failing to bring in new consumers.

My YouTube
The Jazzloggery

SCRAPPER392

Jazzer94 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

But then they are still only directing their marketing at people who own their devices while failing to bring in new consumers.

That's why it's supposed to be entertaining for everyone. Another example would be The Wizard. I don't specifically know how popular that movie was, but it made people aware of Super Mario Bros. 3, so tons of people bought it when it came out.

They need to combine entertainment with information, IMO.

Qwest

SCRAPPER392

@Jazzer94
Like say, they create a sitcom that always ends with people being obsessed with Miiverse, or there's a part of the TV show where they play 3DS, and people get pissed at each other for getting blue shelled in Mario Kart. Then, it's dinner time.

It would be a short part of the show, but it gives the idea that the Wii U and 3DS can affect your daily life in an entertaining way. This would all be played out in a full show with a plot that incorporates how the characters play video games on a daily basis.

There's alreasy been a few shows and instances like that, but they could make it a regular thing if they think it will make people aware and have positive opinions about their products.

EDIT: I'm not saying this will happen. I'm just throwing ideas out there, that they can go a step further than commercials if they find that to be a good marketing strategy.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

shingi_70

Its a has bit crazy how Nintendo let the Wii's momentum die. In retrospect I would have put WiFi in the Wii mini and sold it as a low cost machine that can Di VC and Netflix targeting the Roku Market.

Going to be interesting Siny had their bug event on Tuesday showing off a lot of games and bow its Nintendo's turn.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

SCRAPPER392

@shingi_70
That may seem like a good idea, but Wii Mini gives the impression that they're done with Wii, and aren't going back.

If Wii Mini had online, they'd have to support more servers that that probably won't make any difference later on. They'd rather dedicate more resources to Wii U, but it still puts a product that offline Wii players will enjoy.

Nintendo isn't like Sony or Microsoft. They move onto the next thing pretty quickly. Sony and Microsoft still have Xbox 360 and PS3 to support, but Nintendo has nothing besides Wii U and 3DS, so Wii Mini makes sense to get away from 7th gen. That's my take.

EDIT: Also, considering they plan to move everything from Wii's shop to the eShop, it wouldn't make sense to support that for a device that they are explicitly telling people will be replaced with a new console that does that and more. It's a complete upgrade from Wii to Wii U, with no exceptions.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

LzWinky

Maybe make a separate section on the eShop, but I don't think they're gonna allow the games to be played outside Wii mode. I suspect the Wii U may not be compatible with the Wii games.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

SCRAPPER392

Unca_Lz wrote:

Maybe make a separate section on the eShop, but I don't think they're gonna allow the games to be played outside Wii mode. I suspect the Wii U may not be compatible with the Wii games.

I'm mainly talking that people will either upgrade to Wii U, or buy a device that specifically states that it won't go online.

Consumers have that choice. There's no contest between the Wii Mini and Wii U, so it makes it more obvious to just put down the cash for the new console that does more than the original, and especially more than the redesigned version. Otherwise they most likely already have a Wii, or are looking for the new thing(Wii U), anyway. If that makes sense.

EDIT: Also, if Wii Mini and Wii U are on the same shelf, it separates itself from the original. I think it makes the choice more clear that Wii U is new.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

shingi_70

@SCAr392

Well the Wii mini was still just a normal Wii. They could shut every thing down expect the servers for the Wii Shop Channel which is still up anyway.

I think a $80-$90 console that could play Netflix, Mario Bros, and PAC man would have cleaned up between the Wii and Wii U.

I just hope we get an american annoucnment and close release date of that eshop soccer game.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

SCRAPPER392

@shingi_70
They're still cutting costs by getting rid of Wifi and and such, though. They also don't have to support online, on top of that, so it gives a cheaper option for both Nintendo and consumers that may have not been there otherwise.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

shingi_70

@SCAr392

I get that I was just saying that a cheap WiFi Wii model would have been good around 2009 or so when the Wii was just starting to lose its mind share.

WAT!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.