Forums

Topic: Pokken Tournament - OT

Posts 221 to 240 of 488

Blast

.... I hate to say this... But did Square Enix literally just copied Pokken Fighters with Final Fantasy Dissidia? I saw the trailer for SE's newest fighting game and it reminds me so much of Pokken Fighters.... Maybe I'm being too cautious of SE. Haha.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Storytime7

Blast wrote:

.... I hate to say this... But did Square Enix literally just copied Pokken Fighters with Final Fantasy Dissidia? I saw the trailer for SE's newest fighting game and it reminds me so much of Pokken Fighters.... Maybe I'm being too cautious of SE. Haha.

Dissidia has been around for much longer than Pokken.

Edited on by Storytime7

Storytime7

3DS Friend Code: 4124-5304-9315 | Nintendo Network ID: storytime7

CaviarMeths

Blast wrote:

There's so many game series that are on handheld and console. What makes Pokemon so special and different from JRPGs and shooters that are also on handheld and console? I understand your point though cuz I'm not touching MH4 unless it's for Wii U.

Right in the core design, a main series Pokemon game is built around portability and human interaction. In Nintendo and GameFreak's view, you cannot separate that aspect from the game itself. The popularity, staying power, and success of the series only serves to reaffirm that philosophy. Pokemon probably wouldn't be near as popular as it is today if it wasn't designed to be played in classrooms, lounges, trains, etc. It's a design philosophy that takes more inspiration from a deck of cards or pair of dice than an actual video game. It's meant to be carried around and played in person with other people.

The disconnect is that this style of gaming isn't very popular for westerners. Westerners prefer TVs and headsets and don't really play games at school, work, or the commute to and from. Pokemon managed to get popular in the west though in spite of this, so Nintendo has never seen a good reason to develop a main series entry for console. On the business side of things, not only would it devalue their handheld by losing exclusivity, but it would jack up development costs and lower profit margins.

What I mean by devaluing the hardware is that the amazing thing about Pokemon is that it actually sells handheld hardware to westerners. That's phenomenal because almost nothing else does. The reason why the Vita has been a commercial disaster outside of Japan is because it doesn't have a Pokemon, a killer app that actually manages to get westerners to buy the hardware. The Vita instead offered westerners a choice, do you want to play Uncharted on your console or your handheld? Do you want to play Resistance and Killzone on your console or your handheld? Westerners chose to abandon Sony's handheld hardware. They would do the same to Nintendo if not for exclusive killer apps like Pokemon.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

LzWinky

Blast wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

I don't think a main series Pokemon game for Wii U or home consoles in general would do much. Now, if it did, then it would potentially ruin the series' system selling power for Nintendo's handhelds (you know, the thing keeping this company afloat?). It's a reasonable fear too. Look at Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and how many people are refusing to buy until it gets a Wii U release.

There's so many game series that are on handheld and console. What makes Pokemon so special and different from JRPGs and shooters that are also on handheld and console? I understand your point though cuz I'm not touching MH4 unless it's for Wii U.

Pokemon sells a lot more on handhelds than it does on consoles. Japan doesn't give two craps about the Wii U, so why would they invest in some major Pokemon game that won't give them much return?

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Retro_on_theGo

New promotional video for Pokken Tournament is out!

Pikachu's moveset is practically ripped straight from Kazuya from Tekken! That's awesome!

And a discussion of it by Gamexplain!

Edited on by Retro_on_theGo

DefHalan

I really want this to be offically confirmed for Wii U already

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

PrincessSugoi

Pikachu has never looked more awesome.

The Pokemon's personalities are what struck me off the bat. Very nice and much appreciated touch. Makes the reveal of the rest of the roster more exciting because now I'm curious to see what traits they've added to which Pokemon.

Current Playlist: Age of Calamity, Stardew Valley, ACNH

Hopeless permanent resident of Idol Hell.

3DS Friend Code: 4184-2503-1604 | Nintendo Network ID: sasamitails

Blast

LoveSugoi wrote:

The Pokemon's personalities are what struck me off the bat. Very nice and much appreciated touch. Makes the reveal of the rest of the roster more exciting because now I'm curious to see what traits they've added to which Pokemon.

Pikachu's mad facial expressions...

Master of the Hype Train

IceClimbers

Blast wrote:

LoveSugoi wrote:

Pikachu's mad facial expressions...

Imagine the American version's expressions.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

turtlelink

My hyped kinda died down after seeing more of the gameplay. Don't like the whole Ninja Storm style going on and it seems weird that they'rev opting to use pad controllers as opposed to a stick... Oh well. Still looks fun.

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

GrailUK

Heya,
Is...this...coming...to...Wii U?

..........I am still not over the cement level in Donkey Kong, Mario Kart GP and F-Zero AX...............This one will hurt the most.................

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

R_Champ

Uh oh, looks like Pikachu may be riding dirty next :3 They'll probably even give him a spot of Fox News like they did with MK8 Luigi!

And OMG Gardevoir O_O...TOO CUTE...must resist...watching dance sequence...again...

I do agree with Persona5 hipster kid though, the whole naruto-esque free roam isn't that appealing. It isn't bad, just leaves room for skepticism in my mind.

I hope they port it to Wii U, because if they don't, we won't be seeing it outside of Japan.

Nintendo & Steam ID: R_Champ

NinjaWaddleDee

They'd better port this to Wii U and throw in amiibo support. I NEED this game in my life. Also, playable Sceptile and Torterra please! Grass types ftw! Also, do you guys think they will have ALL of the starters as playable? I mean, there's no way they won't have Charizard, Blastoise, and Venusaur in there, but I'd love to see Typhlosion, Sceptile, Serperior, and Empoleon as well.

Edited on by NinjaWaddleDee

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCagN36OxIjCGUVMaYFtPgSg

Nintendo Network ID: NinjaWaddleDee

GrailUK

On the negative side, recent history shows that they do not port arcade games to their home systems (F-Zero AX and Mario Kart GP). So I am not holding out for an arcade port.

However, on the plus side, both arcade games received their home versions with deeper gameplay, more tracks / characters and extra modes of play.

So I am not hyped up about Pokken AX coming to the Wii U, but I am very hyped about us getting a home version of it. (And sods law says it will have different characters than the arcade and we will all be asking for the arcade characters as dlc for the next 10 years!!! That's how it feels to be a Nintendo fan lol.)

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

NinjaWaddleDee

Anyone else hope that the Wii U version won't have the entire roster unlocked from the beginning? I really hope they give us a handful of pokemon, and then make us unlock or "catch" the rest.

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)

Retro_on_theGo

According to Serebii the next update on the game will be April 25th.

"It has been announced that the NicoNico Choukaigi stage show in Japan, running on April 25th to April 26th is to showcase Pokkén Tournament. In it, it is said to reveal the latest information, as well as have exhibition matches with famous Pokémon Voice Actors. We'll bring more on these announcements as and when they come"

Blast

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

According to Serebii the next update on the game will be April 25th.

"It has been announced that the NicoNico Choukaigi stage show in Japan, running on April 25th to April 26th is to showcase Pokkén Tournament. In it, it is said to reveal the latest information, as well as have exhibition matches with famous Pokémon Voice Actors. We'll bring more on these announcements as and when they come"

Hype!!!

Master of the Hype Train

Starmantra2000

They should just stop jerking the fans around like they have been doing for 15 years and announce a mainline pokemon 3D adventure for the Wii U. No spinoff, No Stadium game, no rumble game or any of that . . . a proper 3D pokemon game.

I've heard all the arguments against it, and the pros all outweigh the cons. Firstly Gamefreak stating that Pokemon works because it's ONLY handheld is nonsense. A console game doesn't affect the portable versions, they'll still exist. Secondly, Pokemon was conceived and created before online gaming was commonplace and before Nintendo had an online console - really, what's more social, playing on a handheld and maybe once a year bumping into someone who plays pokemon . . . or THE INTERNET - where you can play with hundreds and thousands of other players, trade and battle with them or explore a huge landscape in a party - WITH VOICE CHAT,

Nintendo's backwards and antiquated ways are hindering what could be an amazing game, a game everyone wants, a game that could save the Wii U.

And the sad thing is . . . everyone get's it, except Nintendo. . .

Starmantra2000

NinjaWaddleDee

I have this sinking feeling that this game is only going to stay in Japanese arcades... I really hope not.

Blast

NinjaWaddleDee wrote:

I have this sinking feeling that this game is only going to stay in Japanese arcades... I really hope not.

The game was first shown on Nintendo's ENGLISH Youtube channel... Oh, its coming to the West for sure. 2016 Wii U game, is my best bet.

Master of the Hype Train

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.