Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 10,561 to 10,580 of 27,917

Mickey

@IceClimbers You've done a commendable job comprehending his post, and I applaud you for it. ^_^ Now I'm gonna go ahead and help you out with comprehending mine.

Yes, choosing one character over the other solely because of their gender is wrong. This has been established by dudes almost every time (as far as I can remember) we talk about having a female character when there is still the possibility that there could also be a male character, despite the fact that—many times—it being solely because of their gender just isn't the case.

Here's the thing: I'm not saying I want so-and-so because of their gender. I don't think anybody is saying that. The person who says "just for the sake of female representation" made it about that when they apparently assumed that there was nothing else to so-and-so beyond their gender. If they didn't assume that, they should really make an effort to convey that fact in their posts if the goal of said posts is to make people understand their point.

Also: Try not to throw around the term 'sexist' when you're the one apparently (emphasis on 'apparently,' since I can't read your mind) making assumptions about the character only being worth their spot in the game because of their gender.

Formerly MickeyTheGreat and MickMick. Now I'm Mickey again!

The Mousekeloggery

Nintendo Network ID: MickeyTheGreat

Joetherocker

I'd prefer Hades, but I wouldn't complain about Medusa. Three Kid Icarus reps seems slightly excessive to me, though. But since Fire Emblem got boosted up to four, I'd say it's definitely possible,

Wild signature appeared!

3DS FC: 4270-1110-7770

MsJubilee

Do we really need three Kid Icarus characters in smash? I think two is enough i would rather have ridley in this.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Yoshi

Mickey wrote:

brewsky wrote:

Ok, I truly do not want to come off as sexist, but I really want to make this point. Including a character of choosing one character over another for the sake of female representation is asinine.

Every single gamer I've talked to who's against female representation always makes like it's for no other reason than their gender. Cut it out.

Whoa, that's a little harsh, don't you think? I am by no means against female representation. In fact, I love how females are becoming more inclusive in games. I was just saying that if you have preferences based solely on gender, then I don't like it. Find another reason to pick that character.

For example, Lucina and Chrom. If the decision to include Lucina over Chrom was based only on the fact that Lucina was female, then I don't find that to be a valid reason. On the flip side, if the decision to include Chrom over Lucina was because Chrom was male, that's wrong as well.

Fortunately, valid reasons were given for Lucina over Chrom. I like Lucina because she is more unique than Chrom in Awakening. She's a key storyteller as well.

Formally called brewsky before becoming the lovable, adorable Yoshi.
Now playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) | The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | Celeste (Switch)

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

Kewlan

Untitled

ಠ_ಠ
Waiting for ShadowforSSB4 to take me up to the heavens.

Favorite Game List:
1#: Lufia 2
2#: Terraria
3#: Team Fortress 2

3DS Friend Code: 3153-4099-8763 | Nintendo Network ID: Kewlan

Mickey

brewsky wrote:

Mickey wrote:

brewsky wrote:

Ok, I truly do not want to come off as sexist, but I really want to make this point. Including a character of choosing one character over another for the sake of female representation is asinine.

Every single gamer I've talked to who's against female representation always makes like it's for no other reason than their gender. Cut it out.

Whoa, that's a little harsh, don't you think?

Yeah, I think so. In fact, I thought so just before I posted it. See, the plan was for me and my family to play some Super Mario 3D World and have a good time (we did, by the way) but then I see your post and I get a flashback to every time I've ever read "just for the sake of female representation" and then I feel the need to make a post on it. So I make that post, realize that it's a little too strongly-worded, then realize I don't have much time anyway, stupidly decide that I need to post it right then and there, and then post it. That said, it was wrong of me to take my frustrations with everyone else out on you, and I'm sorry for that. ^^;

I still stand by what I actually said, though. (Albeit, not the parts where I say you in particular are against female representation.)

Edited on by Mickey

The Mousekeloggery

Yoshi

Yeah, I was pretty certain that was the case. Hooray for making amends!

I'll try to be more diligent in the future as well. I know there are ways to make a strong point without strong words.

Now playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) | The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | Celeste (Switch)

IceClimbers

Looks like I was the one who opened that can of worms about female representation. Sorry about that everyone.

Anyways, I think any "This character won't get in because there can't be that many reps for that franchise" arguments are invalid now thanks to there being 4 Fire Emblem reps. Nobody, and I mean nobody, was expecting there to be 4 FE reps.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Yoshi

Personally, I wasn't expecting Ike to return.

Now playing:

Nintendo6400

This^

3DS FC: 4854-6437-9458
Friend Safari: Fire- Growlith, Pyroar, Flechling

Captain_Toad

Random trivia! Ness's voice actor is Japanese (MAKIKO OMOTO) which is why when ness's Pk Flash sounds like PK "cross".....and why kirby says PK cross too because this is also Kirby's voice actor.

Edited on by Captain_Toad

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

Nintendo6400

I'm not expecting Lucas, snake, Squirtle, Ivyisaur, Roy (melee), and ROB to return. Yes, I do think Mewtwo will return.

Edit. Forgot to say Pichu, Dr. Mario, and Y. Link. Although they seem implied.

Edited on by Nintendo6400

CapeSmash

I laugh at the people that think "slots" exist. For example: "THIS CHARACTER IS TAKING UP A LOT!!!!!!" Slots don't exist people!

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

MsJubilee

At comic con snake will be announced and everyone will freak out i know i will.If it happened.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Yoshi

DiscoGentleman wrote:

We really, really need Ice Climbers in this.
We also need an Ice Climbers game. Reboot that as a two player adventure/puzzler genre game. One person with the GamePad doing different stuff, and one person with a Wii Remote+Nunchak doing different stuff.

Also, Ness. JFC, give me Ness. And an Earthbound U game. My god.

Yes, yes, and it ain't gonna happen.

Now playing:

Caryslan

SockoMario wrote:

I laugh at the people that think "slots" exist. For example: "THIS CHARACTER IS TAKING UP A LOT!!!!!!" Slots don't exist people!

Lucina proves this. If she could be added to the roster without being planned, then that means there is no such thing as a "preset" character slot limit. I'm sure the team has a general idea of the roster size, but I doubt they have a hard limit.

Characters are added based on gameplay potential and time constraints. I think Sakurai has said that those are the main factors that go into who gets added to the roster.

Caryslan

LzWinky

We're at 36 characters anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if there were 50

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Nintendo6400

Unca_Lz wrote:

heck at this point, I think we might go a little bit over 50. There's still a lot of veteran characters that haven't been announced yet. I believe there's still at least 4-5 newcomers that haven't been announced yet too.

Edited on by Nintendo6400

Mickey

Unca_Lz wrote:

Seriously? Because I sure would!

The Mousekeloggery

Caryslan

Nintendo6400 wrote:

I'm not expecting Lucas, snake, Squirtle, Ivyisaur, Roy (melee), and ROB to return. Yes, I do think Mewtwo will return.

Edit. Forgot to say Pichu, Dr. Mario, and Y. Link. Although they seem implied.

If Fire Emblem can get four reps, then I'm sure Lucas will come back since the Mother characters tend to be very popular in Smash, and he can be further changed to make him stand out from Ness. Mother is still pretty popular in Japan, and has a big cult following in the west. There is no good reason to cut Lucas.

Also, why would ROB get cut? He's a unique character who represents Nintendo history. Unless something comes up, there is no good reason to cut him. Sakurai also loves to put in retro characters, and ROB would fit in alongside Pac-Man, and his fellow Retro series veterans(Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers)

Those two characters are pretty safe in my opinion

Caryslan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic