Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 10,441 to 10,460 of 27,917

Nintendo6400

I have a feeling in the next Nintendo direct instead of seeing a new character we will get a wii u specific trailer similar to the 3ds trailer.

3DS FC: 4854-6437-9458
Friend Safari: Fire- Growlith, Pyroar, Flechling

Kewlan

All I'm hoping for is Marshal and the last veterans, then I'm satisfied with the roster. And of course if they were out of the game, I'd still play it and enjoy the other characters as much.

So the Download Play thing. I believe it will be limited like @DreamyViridi said. If it were the full game, would it not take a massive amount of time to temporarily download the game?

ಠ_ಠ
Waiting for ShadowforSSB4 to take me up to the heavens.

Favorite Game List:
1#: Lufia 2
2#: Terraria
3#: Team Fortress 2

3DS Friend Code: 3153-4099-8763 | Nintendo Network ID: Kewlan

UGXwolf

Kewlan wrote:

All I'm hoping for is Marshal and the last veterans, then I'm satisfied with the roster. And of course if they were out of the game, I'd still play it and enjoy the other characters as much.

So the Download Play thing. I believe it will be limited like @DreamyViridi said. If it were the full game, would it not take a massive amount of time to temporarily download the game?

Obviously, you wouldn't download the ENTIRE game. Just a "player 2" version of it. However, if they're going to do download play, of all the things, I simply can't imagine them limiting the character roster for it. Maybe the stages, but then maybe not. Maybe the music, but then maybe not. Likely the options, though I don't see that helping all that much. Honestly, the more you guys talk about it, though, the less likely it sounds that they'll be doing download play at all.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

2Sang

MrWalkieTalkie wrote:

Did anyone see this?
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/233346-corocoro-to-feature-all-th...

CoroCoro restated their last announcement, saying that they're not going to show the entire roster and all 3DS stages. What they meant was, they're going to show all characters and stages so far as 1 big recap before the game comes out.

Posted this story a few days ago, nobody seemed to buy it. I'm uncertain of its credibility myself. I bet it will have all the starting roster characters and not the hidden characters.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2sang/nintendo-pizza-scented-air-freshener-mach-pizza-ea
BACK MY PROJECT EVEN $1 HELPS!

Nintendo Network ID: DJ2Sang | Twitter:

The_Ninja

@Kewlan I believe that with 3DS Download Play, it stores the data on SD Card. So the second time you do download play, the loading times will decrease. But the first time you do it, it would take a longer, but not that long amount of time since it is only 32Mb, but longer than the second time ofcourse.

But download play makes so much sense, but it was deconfirmed in Smash Run. (Will post source soon) but it should be in Normal versus mode, since all you needed to do in previous smash games was buy another controller. Now you need to buy another system, which is fine, but then purchase the same game too? It would be dissapointing for people who cant afford 2-4 copies of the game, and that is alot of people. I would be fine with it IMO, but many other people wouldn't.

Edited on by The_Ninja

The_Ninja

3DS Friend Code: 1891-2599-4796

MrWalkieTalkie

2Sang wrote:

MrWalkieTalkie wrote:

Did anyone see this?
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/233346-corocoro-to-feature-all-th...

CoroCoro restated their last announcement, saying that they're not going to show the entire roster and all 3DS stages. What they meant was, they're going to show all characters and stages so far as 1 big recap before the game comes out.

Posted this story a few days ago, nobody seemed to buy it. I'm uncertain of its credibility myself. I bet it will have all the starting roster characters and not the hidden characters.

That's... exactly what they're saying. They're going to show us all the characters and stages that we already know about , not the whole roster like many people were rumoring about a few days ago.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Mr.WalkieTalkie
Nintendo Network ID: Mr.WalkieTalkie
3DS Friend Code: 4382-2073-7299

VOTE WONDER-RED FOR SMASH!!

2Sang

@MrWalkieTalkie yeah. Maybe a newcomer that Sakurai has planned could be leaked slightly early, but at most that's it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2sang/nintendo-pizza-scented-air-freshener-mach-pizza-ea
BACK MY PROJECT EVEN $1 HELPS!

Nintendo Network ID: DJ2Sang | Twitter:

UGXwolf

@2Sang, I don't think you read that very carefully. They said they are NOT going to be revealing the full roster and will only be doing a recap of what we already know.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Yoshi

My thoughts on Download Play! Since I'm not going to quote everyone....

I truly hope that Download Play will be a part of Smash Bros. for the 3DS. In fact, it makes too much sense. But, it's not going to be an all or nothing affair. Let's face it, Smash is a huge game, and as I pointed out earlier, it is very possible that Sakurai will use the full 25 GB and 8GB available to him for the Wii U and 3DS versions, respectively.

With that in mind, let's consider Mario Kart 7. That game had an outstanding Download Play option. You had the choice of every race and every battle mode with the game's customization options. The only thing that was limited was that Download players only played as Shy Guy and used the default Kart, Wheels, and Glider. Not bad, in my opinion.

So, maybe we can apply that to Smash. In order to comply with the 3DS's limited download capacity, we're definitely going to strip some things from the main game, but still capture the essence of the game as well. After all, it is meant to encourage you to buy the game yourself. For Download Play, let's put the most common mode in it: a simple VS mode. That's a lot of data for that one mode. We're going to have to strip it down even more to fit. Let's use only Timed matches. Give the players with a copy of the game any choice of their character (that they've unlocked, of course). For Download players, a limited roster, up to six characters, using default specials, and no palette swaps.

The mode may seem a little gimped, but data must be conserved if they want to make it work. It still preserves the essence of Smash, but it most certainly is not the full game, which is fine, in my opinion.

tl;dr Download Play can work, albeit with strict limits.

Formally called brewsky before becoming the lovable, adorable Yoshi.
Now playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) | The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | Celeste (Switch)

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

Kewlan

Did Mario Kart 7 really have that? It doesn't make sense that you can only be Shy Guy, but the game owner could be any. The system would still have to store every character model and every car model. Maybe it replaced that data? Or was it made that way to encourage people to buy the full game to try all characters and Karts?

What I think could work, is put a few veterans and some popular newcomers on final destination and battlefield. I don't think that will take more than 32 MB..?

ಠ_ಠ
Waiting for ShadowforSSB4 to take me up to the heavens.

Favorite Game List:
1#: Lufia 2
2#: Terraria
3#: Team Fortress 2

3DS Friend Code: 3153-4099-8763 | Nintendo Network ID: Kewlan

The_Ninja

brewsky wrote:

I truly hope that Download Play will be a part of Smash Bros. for the 3DS. In fact, it makes too much sense. But, it's not going to be an all or nothing affair. Let's face it, Smash is a huge game, and as I pointed out earlier, it is very possible that Sakurai will use the full 25 GB and 8GB available to him for the Wii U and 3DS versions, respectively.

With that in mind, let's consider Mario Kart 7. That game had an outstanding Download Play option. You had the choice of every race and every battle mode with the game's customization options. The only thing that was limited was that Download players only played as Shy Guy and used the default Kart, Wheels, and Glider. Not bad, in my opinion.

So, maybe we can apply that to Smash. In order to comply with the 3DS's limited download capacity, we're definitely going to strip some things from the main game, but still capture the essence of the game as well. After all, it is meant to encourage you to buy the game yourself. For Download Play, let's put the most common mode in it: a simple VS mode. That's a lot of data for that one mode. We're going to have to strip it down even more to fit. Let's use only Timed matches. Give the players with a copy of the game any choice of their character (that they've unlocked, of course). For Download players, a limited roster, up to six characters, using default specials, and no palette swaps.

The mode may seem a little gimped, but data must be conserved if they want to make it work. It still preserves the essence of Smash, but it most certainly is not the full game, which is fine, in my opinion.

This. If they put all characters in, there would be no point for your friends/family to get the game. But if it was limited, kinda like a demo, it would convince them to buy it, to play on that awesome stage and use the full roster, and play the other modes.

The_Ninja

Datasun_7

@Jazzer94 could you give some impressions for us after?

Proud Samus main for ssb4!
Hyped for Capt. Toad, Yoshis woolly world, Mario maker and splatoon in the first half of 2015
Wii U, 3DS and PS4 owner

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1379-1446 | Nintendo Network ID: Datasun_7

Palutena

Morphbug wrote:

No more "saved by long death animation" when the timer is running out?

That's awesome.

Didn't even think of this... <.< That indeed helps a ton! xD

MrWalkieTalkie

Morphbug wrote:

No more "saved by long death animation" when the timer is running out?

That's awesome.

Yeah, but it was the slow death animation that saved me from losing the 100 Man Brawl as Diddy Kong!

But seriously, I'm happy it's gone.

Edited on by MrWalkieTalkie

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Mr.WalkieTalkie
Nintendo Network ID: Mr.WalkieTalkie
3DS Friend Code: 4382-2073-7299

VOTE WONDER-RED FOR SMASH!!

Datasun_7

@Jazzer94 Haha thank you

Proud Samus main for ssb4!
Hyped for Capt. Toad, Yoshis woolly world, Mario maker and splatoon in the first half of 2015
Wii U, 3DS and PS4 owner

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1379-1446 | Nintendo Network ID: Datasun_7

PokeMario

brewsky wrote:

You forgot that the people using Download Play in Mario Kart didn't even get the music from the course. They had to listen to a drum beat. That prompted my brother to buy the full game himself, too.

PokeMario

The_Ninja

Hm... there should be one or two stages playable with download play, and thats less thsn MK7's playsble courses which are probaly bigger in filezise. With that amount of stages, we can still have atleast one or two music track avaliable to stay in the 32mb limit. Along with 4-6 characters, it could still have an enjoyable experience, but not that you dont need to buy the game.

The_Ninja

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic