Wii U Forum

Topic: Should wii u have achievements/trophies

Showing 181 to 200 of 233

AuthorMessage

Mercury9

181. Posted:

The idea of awarding a player for completing something is good but in my personal opinion unless it actually awards you with something besides points or trophy's, well I just find it useless. And I'm referring to videogames not real life sporting events.

An expansion on what they did with 3DS would be a good foundation to build upon.

Join .www.mkart7.com - Free to enter and great fun!
Mario Kart 7 competitions, great prizes and much more!
3DS FC: 3222-5621-9481
3DS Username: mkart7.com
www.facebook.com/MercuryIX

AuthorMessage

kevohki

182. Posted:

HeroOfWaffles wrote:

I still don't understand how people are against achievements. I can't see any negatives out of them.

Agreed. Nintendo can only benefit from adding more to their online offerings.

PSN ID: PhantomSauce
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8814-0225

AuthorMessage

skywake

183. Posted:

I still don't understand how people can be for or against them to this extent. You're all crazy.
:)

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

Mercury9

184. Posted:

Nintendo games already have them! I'd just like to see them displayed in a similar way to 360's profile cards.

AuthorMessage

Alucard83

185. Posted:

Mercury9 wrote:

The idea of awarding a player for completing something is good but in my personal opinion unless it actually awards you with something besides points or trophy's, well I just find it useless. And I'm referring to videogames not real life sporting events.

An expansion on what they did with 3DS would be a good foundation to build upon.

It's not useless! Coming back for some games are the main reason! Like adding achievement points to complete the game the second time. A score is also competing against other people. At least there is more point to come back! nuff said!

Alucard83

AuthorMessage

skywake

186. Posted:

You know what keeps me going back to games on the 3DS? Streetpass. I walk past someone who has Mario Kart, Kid Icarus or 3D Land and I get a notification telling me there's something new. A new ghost to race against or a new weapon or even something as small as a few easy coins to get. I'd want to see that sort of thing more than a score next to my name.

If I get a notification on the Wii U tablet saying "hey, your friend just beat your ghost on Mario Kart" then I'm going to go back and play some more Mario Kart. A number in some menu telling you that your friend has a gamerscore of however much? What does that even mean if I beat it? That I'm a better gamer or that I have too much time on my hands? What do I get out of improving it? To me it seems vague and meaningless.

That said, achievements done well can be pretty cool especially when it suits the style. Playing a game like Portal 2 and getting a "that part where he tries to kill you" achievement when you get to that part where he tries to kill you? That's brilliant. You can do that without a unified system but it's probably more brilliant if it's a standard thing. I'm not about to rant about how great the system is or wax lyrically about my excitement about the possibility of them including it because it's a bit meh. That said, it's not a horrible thing.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

Mercury9

187. Posted:

Boy8319 wrote:

Mercury9 wrote:

It's not useless! Coming back for some games are the main reason! Like adding achievement points to complete the game the second time. A score is also competing against other people. At least there is more point to come back! nuff said!

I sold my 360 with a gamerscore of around 12,000. 12,000 points that literally served no purpose! Yes I earned them but to do what exactly? Show off to my friends who also have them and just look at them? I'd sooner show off unlocked content that can be used to play with friends rather than numbers. Ok, think about this. Imagine you just hit the sandbag in homerun contest 1000ft. Would you prefer an achievement notification or an achievement notification as well as an unlockable? If you can't initially do it then you return to have another go. It's no different from reaching the next level in a game. You play until you reach that goal. What you personally find easy or difficult is down to your own preferences and may well be worlds apart from another player.

360 style cheevos would be a step backwards considering that Nintendo already pair achievements with content, be it a character or an extra level. Remove the unlockable content in say Brawl and where have the achievements gone? I don't want points to replace those!

Remember that content unlockable achievements can be obtained currently which I would assume alot of people enjoy and because the achievement has an usable incentive to undertake the challenge in the first place surely raises the desire to go after it? We are comparing difficulty based off what we have available for other systems. Nintendo have had them for ages. I don't have all trophy's in Brawl but does that bother me? Do I find that unfair? No, I see it as a challenge to complete and achieve something that the game has in place for just such an occasion.

Nintendo, keep in game unlockables achievements as they are but let's show them off !

Edited on by Mercury9

AuthorMessage

Aviator

188. Posted:

Mercury9 wrote:

I would assume alot of people enjoy [achieving achievements] because the achievement has an usable incentive to undertake the challenge in the first place surely raises the desire to go after it?

I don't see why someone needs a carrot in front of their head to stretch out the replayability in a game.

The games that have carrots in front of players heads are usually bad games.

In a way exhausting
we're problem solving
Drink 'til she's attractive
We're PARTYNAUSEOUS
Talking 'bout diplomatic
I brought my plastic
Making that peace attractive
We're PARTYNAUSEOUS
PSN: naviator_9

AuthorMessage

Mercury9

189. Posted:

But all games have some form of unlockable content right? Unlocked content/statistics from Nintendo games are currently only personally viewable unless your friends are in your house. All I'm saying is that I'd like to see players be able to display what content they have unlocked via some form of 360-esque profile card.

Make available Nintendo achievements for viewing online by friends and the online community. Buy the next SSB for Wii U and friends can view the vault wall in the same way you'd look at an 360 achievement list for example.

Edited on by Mercury9

AuthorMessage

Wheels2050

190. Posted:

Mercury9 wrote:

But all games have some form of unlockable content right?

No, no they don't.

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

191. Posted:

Aviator wrote:

Mercury9 wrote:

I would assume alot of people enjoy [achieving achievements] because the achievement has an usable incentive to undertake the challenge in the first place surely raises the desire to go after it?

I don't see why someone needs a carrot in front of their head to stretch out the replayability in a game.

The games that have carrots in front of players heads are usually bad games.

For the most part no. Take crackdown for example one of the achievements was real vauge so I didn't pay attention. Ut there is a real tall buildings in the center of the city. I kept upgrading my agility and kept going back trying to climb it. Once I hit the top and I got the achivment unlocked noise it felt really good.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

Mercury9

192. Posted:

Your comparing it too much with 360 style achievements and seem to be glossing over the fact they have unlockable content included. Don't add bolted on achievements just for the hardcore camp when everyone could just share in game unlockables with friends online. Improve on what's already there.

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

193. Posted:

You cant share. Game unloxkablez on live.

And since 08 most games have unlockable content with achievements like gear and props for your a agar. And in game they do unlock new levels and what not.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

FiveDigitLP

194. Posted:

I like how everyone just completely disregarded my comment yesterday...I think I might be invisible...

Hello! Anybody there...?

Anyway, if you read it, I felt that I was pointing out a different side to acheivements that you guys aren't really addressing. I feel that there's a community element to acheivements and it's not just a high score contest.

My Monstrous Backlog: Gloorg
Visit FiveDigitLP's Safari. Handing out Nosepasses and Pupitars since 2013!

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7090-4051 | Nintendo Network ID: 5DigitLP | Twitter: FiveDigitLP

AuthorMessage

Reala

195. Posted:

My response to gaining an achievement is oh great that was neat I guess, then I forget it all about it 2 seconds later can't recall a single one of any the achievement's I've been awarded, they add absolutely nothing as far as I'm concerned personally I never hunt them down if I achieve one good but they aren't a big part of gaming to me, still they are popular all the same so wouldn't be surprised to see them implemented.

there's nothing that's certain... of that you can be certain

AuthorMessage

Mercury9

196. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

You cant share. Game unloxkablez on live.

And since 08 most games have unlockable content with achievements like gear and props for your a agar. And in game they do unlock new levels and what not.

By share I meant display unlockables and play data via a 360-esque profile. You share your gamerscore amongst your friends online community already and it'd be good if Wii U would have a similar set up for unlockables that may be displayed. If not achievements then surely Play Coins. Maybe earn coins by gameplay time or in place/alongside achievements for those of you not a fan of in game content being paired up with them? i.e. struggling with a certain aspect of a game or not enough gold? Buy it off with Play Coins ala weapons in Revelations or idols in KIU.

Play coins on the whole for me are really well implemented on 3DS :)

Edited on by Mercury9

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

197. Posted:

I love how I pointed out that debating this is pointless, he agreed...and still continued to debate it. Tremendous.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage

Mercury9

198. Posted:

I do believe it is called having an opinion. I have one and you have one. Simple really :)

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

199. Posted:

Mercury9 wrote:

I do believe it is called having an opinion. I have one and you have one. Simple really :)

Yes, you have an opinion. We get that. You do not, however, need to keep reiterating that opinion over and over again.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Dashtag

200. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

Mercury9 wrote:

Yes, you have an opinion. We get that. You do not, however, need to keep reiterating that opinion over and over again.

Agreed ith MickyMac, this forum topic is REALLY getting boring

8 Bit Forward
My Bio, by True_Hero, and another by Dark-Luigi. Oh, and a Kid Icarus one, too, created by Cyb3rnite.
deviantART Profile

Pit - "Uh, what's a KO?"
Palutena - "Good luck, Pit."

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3165-4977 | Nintendo Network ID: NintenDash | Twitter: KiDasharus