Topic: Should wii u have achievements/trophies

Showing 161 to 180 of 233

AuthorMessage

Mercury9

161. Posted:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Mercury9 wrote:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Nintendo has already done achievements before. Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Wario Land Shake It! and Xenoblade to name three.

Content based achievements :)

Still achievements whether you like it or not.

Yes, but they have rewards attached to them and for me at least, they have a reason to be included in the game. It doesn't bother me either way whether they Nintendo include them I'll still buy the Wii U but I still don't like them unless they have a purpose. I'm basing this purpose on my love of Nintendo's randomness. The way they include all sorts of oddball nods and content in their games. If they somehow paired a standard Wii U based achievement system with usable rewards as I've mentioned before, then I'd like that.

If it's just to emulate the other consoles then no thanks. (But I'll still be in line lol) I'll just have to ignore them in the event they add them.

Edited on by Mercury9

Join .www.mkart7.com - Free to enter and great fun!
Mario Kart 7 competitions, great prizes and much more!
3DS FC: 3222-5621-9481
3DS Username: mkart7.com
www.facebook.com/MercuryIX

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

162. Posted:

Mercury9 wrote:

I'm basing this purpose on my love of Nintendo's randomness.

Untitled

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

ReleaseTheBears

163. Posted:

In-game achievements are almost useless because there's nowhere you can show them off.

ReleaseTheBears

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

164. Posted:

ReleaseTheBears wrote:

In-game achievements are almost useless because there's nowhere you can show them off.

...yes there is. Your Gamercard can be put into your signature on several sites and be shown off anywhere, and anyone can see your achievements in Steam, Xbox Live, and Playstation Network.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Mercury9

165. Posted:

That's not a contradiction lol and aw bless for googling a special pic :)

One more time for those in the back, I hate achievements but if Nintendo include them on Wii U, WITH A PURPOSE by which I mean/already mentioned, usable content then I'll be happy. But I still dislike the whole idea and logic behind achievements unless they feature more than mere numbers.

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

166. Posted:

Randomness implies no purpose. Your need for them to have a purpose stems from their randomness, which is a contradiction. :P

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Mercury9

167. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

ReleaseTheBears wrote:

...yes there is. Your Gamercard can be put into your signature on several sites and be shown off anywhere, and anyone can see your achievements in Steam, Xbox Live, and Playstation Network.

I may be wrong but Bear may be referring to Nintendo consoles there. Nintendo are random in their nature that's why I love them. They don't follow suit and help evolve gaming. If they include achievements with Wii U I'd prefer they had a reason to be included (.....again :P)

Look at 3DS Streetpass Quest. Clear a room and you can earn items for your Mii and music you can listen to. Things you can actually use and enjoy. If the fruits of your labour serve no real purpose then I cannot see their point.

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

168. Posted:

Mercury9 wrote:

If the fruits of your labour serve no real purpose then I cannot see their point.

There's a thing called self-satisfaction, you know.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Mercury9

169. Posted:

OMG -_-

Would you accept a pay raise or a piece of paper with "well done" written on it? Most if not all Nintendo games feature some form of unlockable in game content. If they made this as standard and displayable somewhere like a profile card then I'm all for it. As for self satisfaction, that's awesome but like I just said most Nintendo games have in game content that you can achieve. Content that you can use to further your gaming experience but currently cannot share and display. If Nintendo made that possible then I'd be a happy Birdo :)

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

170. Posted:

Mercury9 wrote:

Would you accept a pay raise or a piece of paper with "well done" written on it?

Is it a purty piece of paper? :P

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

Mercury9

171. Posted:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Mercury9 wrote:

Would you accept a pay raise or a piece of paper with "well done" written on it?

Is it a purty piece of paper? :P

Will Gameboy Printer paper suffice?

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

172. Posted:

You know, I've done the "cooler than nerds" shtick too much but really, achievements are not worth having a debate about. They exist and some people like them and it really doesn't matter that much whether they are used in Wii U or not. Compared to how powerful the system is, price, games, online shop, games, online gaming, 3rd party support, games, and also games, it is completely irrelevent. Now, I think achievements are just silly, trick people into thinking they are achieving more than they are and are hilariously worthless but some people like them so whatever. I guess there is technically a possibility that having achievements might convince a couple dozen more people to buy the Wii U. Maybe? But that's the only thing that puts this above a discussion of what unlockable colors should be used for the next Kirby game. And I was on the big Kirby fan forum for years and even they never did something like that.

Achievements: They exist.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage

Mercury9

173. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

You know, I've done the "cooler than nerds" shtick too much but really, achievements are not worth having a debate about. They exist and some people like them and it really doesn't matter that much whether they are used in Wii U or not. Compared to how powerful the system is, price, games, online shop, games, online gaming, 3rd party support, games, and also games, it is completely irrelevent. Now, I think achievements are just silly, trick people into thinking they are achieving more than they are and are hilariously worthless but some people like them so whatever. I guess there is technically a possibility that having achievements might convince a couple dozen more people to buy the Wii U. Maybe?

Achievements: They exist.

Well put :)

But like I've mentioned what's the cost going to be for the casual camp. On one hand, talk of hardcore nonsense may put them off and how many grannies will buy into Wii this time around? That's not a slur btw. Wide, varied audiences are good :) On the other hand, hardcore gamers may be expecting too much or may just be stuck fast in the upper echelons of 360/PS3 elitism. Personally I can see Wii U owning 2012 and beyond and that's not down to my personal wish but I genuinely think it will. However, it's user base, it's very demographic seems to be up in the air and all over the place currently.

Who will ultimately help Wii U? The casual again? The hardcore Nintendo noobs or the regulars?

Edited on by Mercury9

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

174. Posted:

Mercury9 wrote:

OMG -_-

Video gaming is not a job, and I would prefer it if Nintendo didn't turn it into one.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Mercury9

175. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

Mercury9 wrote:

OMG -_-

Video gaming is not a job, and I would prefer it if Nintendo didn't turn it into one.

Um. Your chosen quote and response doesn't make any sense! I was suggesting that if you had achieved a goal would you opt for something of substance, a gift if you will or a pat on the back. Style over substance?

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

176. Posted:

Mercury9 wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Mercury9 wrote:

OMG -_-

Um. Your chosen quote and response doesn't make any sense! I was suggesting that if you had achieved a goal would you opt for something of substance, a gift if you will or a pat on the back. Style over substance?

You've been suggesting for a while now that Nintendo include things that are at least somewhat important, things that people would actually want. Some of achievements are hard, others are just plain tedious. If I actually had incentive to get those with the achievements they do now, I wouldn't be having much fun with the game anymore. It would become a chore - it would stop being a game and become my job.

If they don't include things I'd want, then the only thing driving me to get those achievements would be my own self-motivation - my pride, and my love of a challenge. That would also mean that I could quit whenever I wanted and not lose anything of substantial value - the game would never feel like a job, theoretically. Currently, it's a win/win situation. Your idea...not so much.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Mercury9

177. Posted:

We are basing achievements based on those we know of currently and it's pretty unlikely that Nintendo will make it near identical to 360/PS3 in terms of usability and difficulty. Nintendo games already have achievements that unlock extra content but we have no way of digitally sharing what we have unlocked and achieved with friends and those around the world.

Just because an achievement may come with in game content as its reward wouldn't diminish the challenge or any sense of self satisfaction for me. On the contrary, self satisfaction is boosted for me when not only do I complete an achievement but I also receive a item or prize to go alongside it :) Be it unlocking a new stage in Brawl after beating a requirement, then being able to use and play on said stage after putting in the time to unlock it is something I'm a huge fan of . Achievements like this have a purpose and you can further your gaming experience with useful and fun rewards. 360-esque achievements...not so much imo.

Would you honestly not like an additional reward to go alongside your achievements?

Edited on by Mercury9

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

178. Posted:

Mercury9 wrote:

Would you honestly not like an additional reward to go alongside your achievements?

Yes, because then I would have no reason to get them, unless I just really, really liked the game and wanted a reason to keep playing. Games are long enough as is without me having to get all the achievements.

Also I'm having deja vu, so I think I'm just gonna stop. :P

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Mercury9

179. Posted:

Fair enough. I'd still like the option to share my unlocks with friends though but I'm wishing for no point based system.

I just hope if achievements are inbound that we don't get nonsense like the Seraphic Gatekeeper achievement :P

Edited on by Mercury9

AuthorMessage

TheKingOfTown

180. Posted:

I still don't understand how people are against achievements. I can't see any negatives out of them.

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

PSN ID: CTID16

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1201-0412 | Nintendo Network ID: TheKingOfTown