Forums

Topic: Should wii u have achievements/trophies

Posts 161 to 180 of 222

Mercury9

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Mercury9 wrote:

Would you accept a pay raise or a piece of paper with "well done" written on it?

Is it a purty piece of paper?

Will Gameboy Printer paper suffice?

Join .www.mkart7.com - Free to enter and great fun!
Mario Kart 7 competitions, great prizes and much more!
3DS FC: 3222-5621-9481
3DS Username: mkart7.com
www.facebook.com/MercuryIX

kkslider5552000

You know, I've done the "cooler than nerds" shtick too much but really, achievements are not worth having a debate about. They exist and some people like them and it really doesn't matter that much whether they are used in Wii U or not. Compared to how powerful the system is, price, games, online shop, games, online gaming, 3rd party support, games, and also games, it is completely irrelevent. Now, I think achievements are just silly, trick people into thinking they are achieving more than they are and are hilariously worthless but some people like them so whatever. I guess there is technically a possibility that having achievements might convince a couple dozen more people to buy the Wii U. Maybe? But that's the only thing that puts this above a discussion of what unlockable colors should be used for the next Kirby game. And I was on the big Kirby fan forum for years and even they never did something like that.

Achievements: They exist.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Mercury9

kkslider5552000 wrote:

You know, I've done the "cooler than nerds" shtick too much but really, achievements are not worth having a debate about. They exist and some people like them and it really doesn't matter that much whether they are used in Wii U or not. Compared to how powerful the system is, price, games, online shop, games, online gaming, 3rd party support, games, and also games, it is completely irrelevent. Now, I think achievements are just silly, trick people into thinking they are achieving more than they are and are hilariously worthless but some people like them so whatever. I guess there is technically a possibility that having achievements might convince a couple dozen more people to buy the Wii U. Maybe?

Achievements: They exist.

Well put

But like I've mentioned what's the cost going to be for the casual camp. On one hand, talk of hardcore nonsense may put them off and how many grannies will buy into Wii this time around? That's not a slur btw. Wide, varied audiences are good On the other hand, hardcore gamers may be expecting too much or may just be stuck fast in the upper echelons of 360/PS3 elitism. Personally I can see Wii U owning 2012 and beyond and that's not down to my personal wish but I genuinely think it will. However, it's user base, it's very demographic seems to be up in the air and all over the place currently.

Who will ultimately help Wii U? The casual again? The hardcore Nintendo noobs or the regulars?

Edited on by Mercury9

CanisWolfred

Mercury9 wrote:

OMG -_-

Would you accept a pay raise or a piece of paper with "well done" written on it?

Video gaming is not a job, and I would prefer it if Nintendo didn't turn it into one.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Mercury9

Mickeymac wrote:

Mercury9 wrote:

OMG -_-

Video gaming is not a job, and I would prefer it if Nintendo didn't turn it into one.

Um. Your chosen quote and response doesn't make any sense! I was suggesting that if you had achieved a goal would you opt for something of substance, a gift if you will or a pat on the back. Style over substance?

CanisWolfred

Mercury9 wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Mercury9 wrote:

OMG -_-

Um. Your chosen quote and response doesn't make any sense! I was suggesting that if you had achieved a goal would you opt for something of substance, a gift if you will or a pat on the back. Style over substance?

You've been suggesting for a while now that Nintendo include things that are at least somewhat important, things that people would actually want. Some of achievements are hard, others are just plain tedious. If I actually had incentive to get those with the achievements they do now, I wouldn't be having much fun with the game anymore. It would become a chore - it would stop being a game and become my job.

If they don't include things I'd want, then the only thing driving me to get those achievements would be my own self-motivation - my pride, and my love of a challenge. That would also mean that I could quit whenever I wanted and not lose anything of substantial value - the game would never feel like a job, theoretically. Currently, it's a win/win situation. Your idea...not so much.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Mercury9

We are basing achievements based on those we know of currently and it's pretty unlikely that Nintendo will make it near identical to 360/PS3 in terms of usability and difficulty. Nintendo games already have achievements that unlock extra content but we have no way of digitally sharing what we have unlocked and achieved with friends and those around the world.

Just because an achievement may come with in game content as its reward wouldn't diminish the challenge or any sense of self satisfaction for me. On the contrary, self satisfaction is boosted for me when not only do I complete an achievement but I also receive a item or prize to go alongside it Be it unlocking a new stage in Brawl after beating a requirement, then being able to use and play on said stage after putting in the time to unlock it is something I'm a huge fan of . Achievements like this have a purpose and you can further your gaming experience with useful and fun rewards. 360-esque achievements...not so much imo.

Would you honestly not like an additional reward to go alongside your achievements?

Edited on by Mercury9

CanisWolfred

Mercury9 wrote:

Would you honestly not like an additional reward to go alongside your achievements?

Yes, because then I would have no reason to get them, unless I just really, really liked the game and wanted a reason to keep playing. Games are long enough as is without me having to get all the achievements.

Also I'm having deja vu, so I think I'm just gonna stop.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Mercury9

Fair enough. I'd still like the option to share my unlocks with friends though but I'm wishing for no point based system.

I just hope if achievements are inbound that we don't get nonsense like the Seraphic Gatekeeper achievement

Edited on by Mercury9

TheKingOfTown

I still don't understand how people are against achievements. I can't see any negatives out of them.

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

PSN ID: CTID16

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1201-0412 | Nintendo Network ID: TheKingOfTown

Mercury9

The idea of awarding a player for completing something is good but in my personal opinion unless it actually awards you with something besides points or trophy's, well I just find it useless. And I'm referring to videogames not real life sporting events.

An expansion on what they did with 3DS would be a good foundation to build upon.

kevohki

HeroOfWaffles wrote:

I still don't understand how people are against achievements. I can't see any negatives out of them.

Agreed. Nintendo can only benefit from adding more to their online offerings.

PSN ID: PhantomSauce
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8814-0225

skywake

I still don't understand how people can be for or against them to this extent. You're all crazy.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Mercury9

Nintendo games already have them! I'd just like to see them displayed in a similar way to 360's profile cards.

Alucard83

Mercury9 wrote:

The idea of awarding a player for completing something is good but in my personal opinion unless it actually awards you with something besides points or trophy's, well I just find it useless. And I'm referring to videogames not real life sporting events.

An expansion on what they did with 3DS would be a good foundation to build upon.

It's not useless! Coming back for some games are the main reason! Like adding achievement points to complete the game the second time. A score is also competing against other people. At least there is more point to come back! nuff said!

Alucard83

skywake

You know what keeps me going back to games on the 3DS? Streetpass. I walk past someone who has Mario Kart, Kid Icarus or 3D Land and I get a notification telling me there's something new. A new ghost to race against or a new weapon or even something as small as a few easy coins to get. I'd want to see that sort of thing more than a score next to my name.

If I get a notification on the Wii U tablet saying "hey, your friend just beat your ghost on Mario Kart" then I'm going to go back and play some more Mario Kart. A number in some menu telling you that your friend has a gamerscore of however much? What does that even mean if I beat it? That I'm a better gamer or that I have too much time on my hands? What do I get out of improving it? To me it seems vague and meaningless.

That said, achievements done well can be pretty cool especially when it suits the style. Playing a game like Portal 2 and getting a "that part where he tries to kill you" achievement when you get to that part where he tries to kill you? That's brilliant. You can do that without a unified system but it's probably more brilliant if it's a standard thing. I'm not about to rant about how great the system is or wax lyrically about my excitement about the possibility of them including it because it's a bit meh. That said, it's not a horrible thing.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Mercury9

Boy8319 wrote:

Mercury9 wrote:

It's not useless! Coming back for some games are the main reason! Like adding achievement points to complete the game the second time. A score is also competing against other people. At least there is more point to come back! nuff said!

I sold my 360 with a gamerscore of around 12,000. 12,000 points that literally served no purpose! Yes I earned them but to do what exactly? Show off to my friends who also have them and just look at them? I'd sooner show off unlocked content that can be used to play with friends rather than numbers. Ok, think about this. Imagine you just hit the sandbag in homerun contest 1000ft. Would you prefer an achievement notification or an achievement notification as well as an unlockable? If you can't initially do it then you return to have another go. It's no different from reaching the next level in a game. You play until you reach that goal. What you personally find easy or difficult is down to your own preferences and may well be worlds apart from another player.

360 style cheevos would be a step backwards considering that Nintendo already pair achievements with content, be it a character or an extra level. Remove the unlockable content in say Brawl and where have the achievements gone? I don't want points to replace those!

Remember that content unlockable achievements can be obtained currently which I would assume alot of people enjoy and because the achievement has an usable incentive to undertake the challenge in the first place surely raises the desire to go after it? We are comparing difficulty based off what we have available for other systems. Nintendo have had them for ages. I don't have all trophy's in Brawl but does that bother me? Do I find that unfair? No, I see it as a challenge to complete and achieve something that the game has in place for just such an occasion.

Nintendo, keep in game unlockables achievements as they are but let's show them off !

Edited on by Mercury9

Aviator

Mercury9 wrote:

I would assume alot of people enjoy [achieving achievements] because the achievement has an usable incentive to undertake the challenge in the first place surely raises the desire to go after it?

I don't see why someone needs a carrot in front of their head to stretch out the replayability in a game.

The games that have carrots in front of players heads are usually bad games.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Mercury9

But all games have some form of unlockable content right? Unlocked content/statistics from Nintendo games are currently only personally viewable unless your friends are in your house. All I'm saying is that I'd like to see players be able to display what content they have unlocked via some form of 360-esque profile card.

Make available Nintendo achievements for viewing online by friends and the online community. Buy the next SSB for Wii U and friends can view the vault wall in the same way you'd look at an 360 achievement list for example.

Edited on by Mercury9

Wheels2050

Mercury9 wrote:

But all games have some form of unlockable content right?

No, no they don't.

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.