Forums

Topic: Should the gamepad be "abandoned"???

Posts 101 to 120 of 123

SCRAPPER392

@Sony_70
Not all devices let you do that without looking for specific features, though. Not every TV has Chromecast or an Apple TV hooked up, which costs more and needs to be searched out.

I'm not sure exactly how all those other gadgets work SPECIFICALLY(implementation wise), but I'm pretty sure Wii U still does it better anyway. Nintendo is offering similar features and more in a simpler way, at a cheaper price.

Alot would be lost without the GamePad. Not to mention that since the Wii U costs $300 now. Just think of it as getting the GamePad for $50 and your still getting a game in the bundle for $300. They're already selling at a loss, so they can't keep cutting costs, especially in exchange for the controller you NEED in order to do much of anything different or better than anything else available.

We need not forget that Nintendo isn't the only one with 2 screen features for gaming or anything else now adays.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Eel

Apple TV is too laggy to play big iPad games or games that need precision on the big screen. I know this because I have one.

The Walking Dead is kinda funny to watch though.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

shingi_70

@SCAR392

What do you mean not all devices let you do that. Literally any Apple TV paired with an ios device or a chrome cast with any Android device already does all of that. The Apple TV is $100 and the chromecast is $100. It seems when you guys factor price into it you guys seems to forget the sheer amount of smartphones and Tablets in the market. I mean the Wii U streaming is awsome but there's no way in hell that's its better than the Android/Ios Implementation.

To be fair a good chunk of the Wii U's price comes from the controller itself. But removing the controller would be bad since it kills compatibility with a few games and Nintendo would have to rework the whole OSw which would be disastrous, though hingined most of the UI onto the Gamepad was a bad idea to begin with. .

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

SCRAPPER392

@Sony_70
That's aside from the point that the Wii U has 90% better use, IMO, than any of those devices in the first place. Even Game & Wario(which got low scores on plenty of sites) beats out the most note worthy software on iPhone or Android.

It's just easier to buy a Wii U instead of messing with more than 2 devices at once. I completely agree that alot of the functions Wii U offers with its 2nd screen is available elsewhere as well, but Wii U guarantees use of the feature and does it better in almost all cases to boot.

Keep in mind this is just my opinion. I'd rather have a Wii U than Chromecast and another device, and that's beside the point that I think Wii U's available software, as limited as it is in comparison, is STILL better.

4 million apps doesn't mean jack if only 500 of those apps are worthwhile, with even fewer taking advantage of the 2nd screen. Not to mention the graphics or online are never as good.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

darthmawl

Im playing The last of us and believe me i miss my gamepad for weapons inventory ¡!!!!!!!

Currently playing : ZombiU on Wii U / Soul Sacrifice on Vita / Mario Golf World Tour on 3DS

skywake

Sony_70 wrote:

skywake wrote:

mariobro4 wrote:

And BTW, not many of us have an iphone/ipad and not have the hassle to get up and use the computer

It's not just that. I do happen to have tablets and phones floating around that I can use to watch videos and browse the 'nets. I even have cool little apps that let me throw some content to the TV if I want to. However what the Wii U does is something else entirely. At the very least the browser is a full browser that works extremely well and allows you to mirror what you're doing on the TV.Even with my numerous gadgets I don't have anything that lets me do that, nothing else I have is anywhere near as good at browsing the 'nets on the TV.

Then there's the fact that it also plays proper, modern AAA titles portably. Something that outside of the Wii U can only be done on the Vita and the NVidia Shield. So people pointing to iPads are really missing the point in more ways than one.

Really because Apple TV + any ios or Mac device lets you do exactly that.

or with a Chromecast

But I agree with the gaming part.

Well yes but read what I said, with all the devices I have there's nothing that works as well as the Wii U. I'm sure plenty of other people are in the same boat. For a start Chromecast is non-existent here or as far as I'm aware anywhere outside of the US. Then there's the fact that not everyone has forked over the $100 for an Apple TV which in itself is of limited value when TVs have so much functionality built into them.

Nintendo have created something great here, something that fits a pretty small niche. To kill it would be idiotic.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

MikeLove

skywake wrote:

Nintendo have created something great here, something that fits a pretty small niche.

Which is EXACTLY the problem. Instead of creating something that appeals to many, they released something that appeals to few.

MikeLove

MAB

We will see what happens next year. It's gonna be a good fight between all fanboy factions... I will be in the middle stirring up the masses no doubt

Untitled

MAB

skywake

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

skywake wrote:

Nintendo have created something great here, something that fits a pretty small niche.

Which is EXACTLY the problem. Instead of creating something that appeals to many, they released something that appeals to few.

Don't quote me out of context, that wasn't what I was saying.

There are other products on the market that let you play AAA titles on your TV and have been for a long while. There are products on the market that let you stream media and browse the internet on a portable device and some even let you mirror that content on your TV if you also buy their other thing. There are also products on the market, at least in the US, that let you stream AAA titles from a non-portable machine to a portable device.

The Wii U is a niche product in the sense that it does all of those things. If you want that sort of device you really don't have any other option because nobody else is really in that yet. For that reason it would be stupid for them to dump the idea. Killing the one thing outside of Mario/Zelda that makes their product unique makes no sense.

and yes 2DS, however owning both a 3DS and a Wii U I know which unique feature I would rather be without. Right now my 3D slider is turned right down because of Animal Crossing and Pokemon. However the last time I picked up my Wii U and almost everytime I turn on my Wii U it's while the TV is going. When it's not it's still a feature that adds to the experience.

Edited on by skywake

An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

DualWielding

The question is how many people bought the Wii U BECAUSE of the gamepad, that wouldn't have bought a Nintendo console with a wii mote or a traditional controller without a touch screen that was cheaper than the Wii U or the same price but more powerful or as powerful as PS4 at the same price.

PSN: Fertheseeker

bail

SirGreatNose wrote:

Like I said before, I don't understand why such a comment would be made, or thought for that matter. I think these kinds of topics come from detractors, and people who, for whatever reason, want to see Nintendo fail. It seems like those people are coming out of the woodwork lately. Then there are those who don't own a Wii U, yet feel compelled to post misinformation about it, without any real exposure to it's fine points.

I'm repeating myself, but I've only just recently become an owner, and I can't see how anyone could own one, and NOT be satisfied ( if not down-right giddy ) with it.

so saying that i'm not into the gamepad makes me want to see nintendo fail? nice conclusion...
there are just as much (if not more, otherwise sales would be better) people who don't like the gamepad. i bought the console anyway, but i waited nearly one year because i wanted to see if the big titles i want to play can be played with the pro controller as well.
the only game that forced me so far to use it was rayman legends. i'm ok with using it as an extra map-screen near me (like in pikmin), but i like to have the option to not use it as well.

Gaming Appreciation.

Mr_Nose

bail wrote:

So saying that i'm not into the gamepad makes me want to see nintendo fail?

No, you would be firmly in the 'detractor' camp.

Edited on by Mr_Nose

3DS:
5413 - 1299 - 6184
Wii U:
Mr.Nose
Bink

3DS Friend Code: 5413-1299-6184 | Nintendo Network ID: MrNose

MikeLove

SirGreatNose wrote:

bail wrote:

So saying that i'm not into the gamepad makes me want to see nintendo fail?

No, you would be firmly in the 'detractor' camp.

Or maybe he's just a guy who's indifferent to it, and doesn't really hate it but doesn't really love it either?

But no, that's impossible on this website. You must either love everything Nintendo does, or be considered a hater.

MikeLove

ThePirateCaptain

@FutureAlphaMale
Yeah, just take one person's ignorance and use it to judge a whole site full of people, sounds fair.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

retired_account

I like the gamepad. It'd suck if Nintendo just randomly stopped supporting it, and a ton of games don't even support the Pro controller.

It'd also be a marketing nightmare, lol.

Edited on by retired_account

retired_account

SCRAPPER392

Not liking the GamePad is one thing, but suggesting to remove it when it is a key focus of the console is another.

Like I said earlier. Deal with it. Sony can make their Move and PS Eye camera as optional as they want. That should, in no way, make anyone think Microsoft or Nintendo should drop the Kinect or GamePad.

Kinect will be part of Xbox One. I remember rumors where you wouldn't even be able to disconnect it from the system at all. It's important that everyone has one if they planon getting the most out of their system. It also makes no sense to separate the install base, which some clearly don't understand even though it's a fact/common sense,

If the GanePad isn't worth it for you, maybe you should go buy a PS4 and a PS Vita. This isn't directed at anyone in particular, BTW.

Qwest

AmyHD

The Gamepad is worth the pricing. The Wii U is now $300. Dropping it further would kill Nintendo's profit - because no one is buying the machine. This will change with -SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD- and other select titles, but for now we just have to wait. Removign the Gamepad is a ludicrous idea at best.

Would you like to have a round of Black Ops 2 on Wii U? Talk to me @ TLKH_Amy

Gallimastro

They just need to alternate and advertise a bit more, like they did with the wii mote. There are lots of potential in it, and even I thought they should "abandon it" sometime ago. In this age of tablet touch devices, there is plenty of potential, just need to find ways to tap it and get others on board.

I've even made a meme in photoshop that might catch on:
Untitled

Marketing, take note!

Edited on by Gallimastro

http://gg-works.blogspot.com
Twitter: GG-Works

Twitter:

skywake

ferthepoet wrote:

The question is how many people bought the Wii U BECAUSE of the gamepad, that wouldn't have bought a Nintendo console with a wii mote or a traditional controller without a touch screen that was cheaper than the Wii U or the same price but more powerful or as powerful as PS4 at the same price.

To be as powerful as the PS4 it would have cost a fair bit more than what it does and killing the GamePad wouldn't have dropped the price that much. Frankly I think the number you're asking would be fairly significant. Personally I know I probably would have got it anyway because Nintendo but without the hook of the GamePad I probably would have waited for better software. In comparison if the 3DS had launched without 3D it wouldn't have changed anything for me.

These threads are a witch hunt, people are looking for something to blame but ignoring the software. The GamePad is a net-positive for the Wii U, launching with just New Super Mario Bros U and NintendoLand was a negative. If they had any of Wind Waker, 3D World, Mario Kart, Smash Bros or Pikmin 3 at launch we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

Edited on by skywake

MAB

Until the time comes it will always be a classic example of ↓

HATERS GONNA HATE
Untitled

MAB

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.