Forums

Topic: I want a WiiU for those 1080p games, but 720p TV says MEH

Posts 21 to 40 of 69

SCRAPPER392

I say just get the Wii U. Most games are in 720p, and your TV seems fine. You're better off getting a device you don't have, rather than upgrading one you already do.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Hy8ogen

Mizore wrote:

I have actually seen a 4k TV, and can really see the difference between 1080.

Well if you're looking at a 30 grand 80 inch then duh. Dem graphs bro dem graphs. Science is never wrong.....

PS: I saw those glorious 80 inch 4K and they are absolutely crazy. Only If I could afford one...sigh....

Edited on by Hy8ogen

Nintendo fan since 6 years of age.
Owned: SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, 3DS, Wii U, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PSP3000.

3DS Friend Code: 5472-8085-9073 | Nintendo Network ID: kkloveit

Lan

Hy8ogen wrote:

720p, 1080p, 4k, blah. They don't really matter, in the end of the day it really depends on how big your TV is and the distance you will be away from it. If you're going to get 50" TV, I would highly suggest 1080p because 720p would be stretching it a little. Here's a little graph to help you make your decision

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/12/resolut...

And I suppose you're gonna tell us that the human eye can't see over 30 frames per second next.

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

Hy8ogen

Lan wrote:

Hy8ogen wrote:

720p, 1080p, 4k, blah. They don't really matter, in the end of the day it really depends on how big your TV is and the distance you will be away from it. If you're going to get 50" TV, I would highly suggest 1080p because 720p would be stretching it a little. Here's a little graph to help you make your decision

And I suppose you're gonna tell us that the human eye can't see over 30 frames per second next.

Yup. However, although our eyes can't tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps, we can definitely "feel" it. I can't really put them in words but 60FPS definitely feels a TINY bit smoother compared to 30.

Edited on by Hy8ogen

Nintendo fan since 6 years of age.
Owned: SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, 3DS, Wii U, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PSP3000.

3DS Friend Code: 5472-8085-9073 | Nintendo Network ID: kkloveit

skywake

Should be fine, I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of the games that are "running" at 1080p are actually running at lower resolutions and upscaled. So it's not that big a deal. There's also a chance that there will be no perceivable benefit anyways depending on how close you are to the screen.

In a bedroom you can probably see the difference of 1080p at 32" because you need to be closer than 4' away from the screen. By my estimate in a bedroom you'll be sitting anywhere from ~10' to maybe as close as 2' from a 32" screen. At 2' 4k makes sense even at that size, at 10' you could get away with 480p. So depending on where you're likely to be in relation to the TV is how much it'll really matter.

but it'll work either way so... just go for it

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Joeynator3000

Hy8ogen wrote:

Mizore wrote:

I have actually seen a 4k TV, and can really see the difference between 1080.

Well if you're looking at a 30 grand 80 inch then duh. Dem graphs bro dem graphs. Science is never wrong.....

PS: I saw those glorious 80 inch 4K and they are absolutely crazy. Only If I could afford one...sigh....

I think it was a....erm, medium-sized TV. Can't remember, it wasn't huge, though.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

SCRAPPER392

I can and can't tell the difference. If I'm aware that the content is 1080p, I'll pay more attention and realize, but otherwise I don't really notice most of the time.

EDIT: My bro has a 32" 720p, and I have a 39" 1080p. I can tell the difference, but I wouldn't even know if there wasn't a 720p display to reference.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

skywake

From my experience it goes something like this:

The Wii U GamePad looks ok with 6.2" at 480p
A 10" 1080p tablet looks fantastic
A 13" 720p laptop screen looks decent
A 22" 1080p monitor looks meh
A 32" 1080p TV looks fantastic
A 46" 1080p TV looks decent
A 60" 1080p TV looks meh
A 60" 4K TV looks fantastic
An 80" 4K TV looks fantastic

An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

concerndoge

144p resolution Youtube videos on a 4K TV.

SSB 3DS: 2380-5008-7036

WesCash

Hy8ogen wrote:

Yup. However, although our eyes can't tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps, we can definitely "feel" it.

Do you have a legitimate source on that? Not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious. From everything I've read, there doesn't seem to be a limit to the frames per second that the human eye can see because the human eye doesn't see in "frames". The optic nerve gets continuous light from the environment. I'd think it would be more of an issue with the brain not being able to process information fast enough at certain points.

With that said, I think most people can detect (see or otherwise) a difference between 30 and 60 frames per second. I certainly have no problem whatsoever. Show me a 30fps clip and a 60fps clip; I'll be able to tell you which is which every single time. It's incredibly obvious to me if I'm only getting 30fps in a PC game.

WesCash

3DS Friend Code: 2019-9710-8219

SCRAPPER392

I can tell the difference between 30 and 60 frames per second, all the time, except for once. I thought Wind Waker HD was 60FPS, but that was the only time I ever couldn't tell the difference. Once I read that it was 30FPS, I was able to notice.

Qwest

skywake

You can definitely notice the difference between 30fps and 60fps. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. What's more at lower framerates you tend to get more stutter which happens when the frame output doesn't match the refresh rate of the monitor. That cause both variation in input lag and a jumpy image. Also happens at higher framerates but the variation is much, much smaller.

also........

edit: BTW, 8MP? That's 4K

Edited on by skywake

JetForceSetGrind

Uhhh..almost all Wii U games are rendered at 720p, some even sub-HD (COD.)

Rayman Legends, Wind Waker HD, and maybe Smash Bros are/will be 1080p...

JetForceSetGrind

SCRAPPER392

I think ZombiU is 1080p. Supposedly, Mario Kart, Bayonetta, and X(?) will be 1080p. CoD running at sub-HD just proves Acttivision didn't know how to get better results from the Wii U, though. The same could be said about alot of games, but it isn't a big deal, either way.

In the situation the OP is in, I would either get a Wii U or invest in a good audio system, instead of another HDTV.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

MikeLove

SCAR392 wrote:

I can tell the difference between 30 and 60 frames per second, all the time, except for once. I thought Wind Waker HD was 60FPS, but that was the only time I ever couldn't tell the difference. Once I read that it was 30FPS, I was able to notice.

Untitled

MikeLove

Lan

Hy8ogen wrote:

Lan wrote:

Hy8ogen wrote:

Yup. However, although our eyes can't tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps, we can definitely "feel" it. I can't really put them in words but 60FPS definitely feels a TINY bit smoother compared to 30.

Now you're just spreading blatant lies. This is in no way true at all. http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

MikeLove

Lan wrote:

Hy8ogen wrote:

Now you're just spreading blatant lies. This is in no way true at all. http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

Untitled

MikeLove

RedYoshi999

I bought a 32" 1080p Samsung TV just before the Wii U was released for my bedroom and I have to say it's been fantastic. I then went and played my Wii U on a friend's cheap 720p 32ish" TV and I noticed the difference instantly. Now I'm not sure if that comes down to it being a cheap brand rather than being 720p, but I would much rather have the 1080p TV. Although in my case I simply spent a bit extra to get a 1080p TV rather than buying a 720p TV and later upgrading it.

RedYoshi999

3DS Friend Code: 4682-8576-2407 | Nintendo Network ID: RedYoshi999

PloXyZeRO

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

Bleh is better than meh...

Does it matter so greatly. The only time resolution bothers me is when it's utterly horrid (3DS screen) or the image is a lower resolution than the screen. You aren't missing too much, upgrade when you need to.

When you play 720p games on a 1080p TV, the image is a lower resolution than the screen. So it seems that you're implying that it bothers you more often than not

MrSRArter wrote:

Nintendo is rich while Detroit is bankrupt. They could use Detroit make a real Nintendo Land theme park.

3DS Friend Code: 3325-2132-3153 | Nintendo Network ID: PloXyZeRO | Twitter:

ZyroXZ2

RedYoshi999 wrote:

I bought a 32" 1080p Samsung TV just before the Wii U was released for my bedroom and I have to say it's been fantastic. I then went and played my Wii U on a friend's cheap 720p 32ish" TV and I noticed the difference instantly. Now I'm not sure if that comes down to it being a cheap brand rather than being 720p, but I would much rather have the 1080p TV. Although in my case I simply spent a bit extra to get a 1080p TV rather than buying a 720p TV and later upgrading it.

They released a Wii U for your bedroom!? WHERE IS THIS WONDROUS MACHINE!?

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!

www.youtube.com/ZyroXZ2

^^/

Nintendo Network ID: ZyroXZ2 | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.