Forums

Topic: I want a WiiU for those 1080p games, but 720p TV says MEH

Posts 61 to 71 of 71

MarceloKamui

I don't understand why ppl care about this so much...

Edited on by MarceloKamui

Let's play Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate!!! o/

Nintendo Network ID: marcelokamui

Lan

skywake wrote:

Lan wrote:

Now you're just spreading blatant lies. This is in no way true at all. http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

What are you talking about? I can see the difference pretty clearly. Even when I turn off motion blur entirely and slow the movement right down it's still visible. I can see that 60fps is smoother than 24fps, 30fps and 48fps. I mean the gap between 48fps and 60fps is fairly small when the ball is moving very slowly but it's still there.

That's the point...

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

WaveBoy7

I'll be sitting just over 10 to 11 feet eye distance wise from my new 50" HDTV I'll be getting in a couple weeks(Dropping down 10" in size, since my 60" is a little overwhelming and a tad too big me thinks) so at that distance 1080p wont even matter. I'd have to be sitting 'closer' than 10.7"(optimum distance for 720p. any closer and the benefits of 1080p become noticeable ) so meh. I'm not the type that likes to sit very close when i game anyways, but it all depends on the genre.

Then again, 1080p sets have to upscale 720p to 1080p, so i'd imagine the 720p image you're getting on a 1080p set doesn't 'quite' look as good as if you were feeding 720p into a 720p HDTV. I guess it all depends on how great the scaler is too.

Edited on by WaveBoy7

Currently Playing: Donkey kong Country! - Virtual Console!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!
Nintendo Network ID: WaveBoy777

SCRAPPER392

I sit around 8 feet from my 39" 1080p HDTV. The recommended viewing distance is 5.5-8 feet, for 39", I think.
@WaveBoy
The Wii U is actually the one doing upscaling. Even if the games run at 720p, the Wii U puts them out at 1080p, similar to how Wii mode runs at 1080p, so your TV isn't doing doing any scaling.

SCRAPPER392

Yoshi

SCAR392 wrote:

The Wii U is actually the one doing upscaling. Even if the games run at 720p, the Wii U puts them out at 1080p, similar to how Wii mode runs at 1080p, so your TV isn't doing doing any scaling.

Wii Mode runs at 480p. There is no up scaling.

Formally called brewsky before becoming the lovable, adorable Yoshi.
Now playing:
Super Mario Maker (Wii U) | Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U) | The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes (3DS)
Try this Super Mario Maker course: DCAB-0000-004E-34EA

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

SCRAPPER392

brewsky wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

The Wii U is actually the one doing upscaling. Even if the games run at 720p, the Wii U puts them out at 1080p, similar to how Wii mode runs at 1080p, so your TV isn't doing doing any scaling.

Wii Mode runs at 480p. There is no up scaling.

Perhaps you are mistaking rendering and upscaling? The Wii U is still running Wii mode at 480p, but it puts the image out at 1080p. If you go compare how your Wii shows games, compared to how your Wii U does(in Wii mode), you should be able to immediately tell the difference.

Also, Wii U reduces basically every bit of lag you may have had with your Wii, via component. The Wii U is HD compatible, so it can do these things. It's not that technologically complicated. It's just showing the image a little better than the Wii, on HDTVs.
http://www.cubed3.com/news/17666/1/wii-u-upscale-explained-wi...
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/does-the-wii-u-upscale-game...

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

SCRAPPER392

Yoshi

SCAR392 wrote:

brewsky wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

The Wii U is actually the one doing upscaling. Even if the games run at 720p, the Wii U puts them out at 1080p, similar to how Wii mode runs at 1080p, so your TV isn't doing doing any scaling.

Wii Mode runs at 480p. There is no up scaling.

Perhaps you are mistaking rendering and upscaling? The Wii U is still running Wii mode at 480p, but it puts the image out at 1080p. If you go compare how your Wii shows games, compared to how your Wii U does(in Wii mode), you should be able to immediately tell the difference.

Also, Wii U reduces basically every bit of lag you may have had with your Wii, via component. The Wii U is HD compatible, so it can do these things. It's not that technologically complicated. It's just showing the image a little better than the Wii, on HDTVs.
http://www.cubed3.com/news/17666/1/wii-u-upscale-explained-wi...
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/does-the-wii-u-upscale-game...

I'm still confused....but I'll go with it. I just attributed the fact that Wii games look better on Wii U because HDMI is digital whereas component and composite are analog.

Formally called brewsky before becoming the lovable, adorable Yoshi.
Now playing:
Super Mario Maker (Wii U) | Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U) | The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes (3DS)
Try this Super Mario Maker course: DCAB-0000-004E-34EA

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

unrandomsam

Hy8ogen wrote:

720p, 1080p, 4k, blah. They don't really matter, in the end of the day it really depends on how big your TV is and the distance you will be away from it. If you're going to get 50" TV, I would highly suggest 1080p because 720p would be stretching it a little. Here's a little graph to help you make your decision

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/12/resolut...

It matters for an LCD always because it should always run at the panel resolution. Otherwise you end up with the same sort of problems as a stretched DS game on a 3DS (But less noticable).

Plasma's I don't notice. (Not looked into it because I would rather not know because I cannot tell now and if there is something to look for then once I know about it then it will annoy me forever after).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic